• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine stalls after 7 miles

M36A2

[2]
Hi there

I have a problem with my M36A2.

To start it goes fine, runs good, I can drive it for about 7 miles, than the engine stalls and I have to wait about half an hour (to cool down?) to get it started again. Then again it runs for another 7 miles or so before it stalls again.

On march 12 we had a nightrun with our MV club. It ran fine and after the drive I left it at the garage where we started the drive because the truck needed it's yearly inspection (MOT). After about 2 weeks I got it back and since then the problems started. I first checked the fueltank and noticed some leaves swimming in there. So I emptyed the tank, removed it from the truck, took out the pump, cleaned the inside. In the tank I found a rag (like a strong paper towel), some oak-leaves, a few tie-ribs and some other debries. I reckon somebody wanted to be funny..

Okay, with a rag inside the tank I understand it is not running long, just until the pump sucks up the rag. Now all the junk is removed, cleaned the inside of the tank, mounted a magnet under the tank, away from the pump, just in case. I cleaned the fuel filters as well. I also mounted a good lock on the fillingcap. Still the truck is not running correctly, just for about 7-8 miles.

The engine is a White MultiFuel Turbo, did only about 9000 miles, Usually runs fine without any problems.

I've been told that sometimes the fuel is too thin so I put in extra engine oil in the fuel tank, about 2 gallons. that should help but it doesn't

Do you have any idea where to look for?

[/2]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would take one more shot and the tank. Might have been some more crap or spooge behind one of the baffles. Pop that pump off and have another looksee.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had some problems with my deuce, I recently pulled tank and cleaned, changed all filters, cleaned pump, and changed oil. When I got it back together, it would run, then once it was warmed up, it ran great, then died. I opened the bleeder on the fuel filters and no fuel. So I started to crack lines, the pump line was fine. Found out when I hit the side of the primary fuel filter I got fuel again. Cleaned the filter housing and checked the filter, not sure what I did, but now it runs fine.
I would pull the pump also and make sure nothing was hiding behind a baffle.
When it dies, open the bleeder on one of the filters and see if you have any fuel. Make sure the master switch is on so the pump is running. If you have just a trickle, or no fuel I would crack the line coming off the fuel pump to make sure it is ok, then start checking filters again.

Is there a some kind of device that limits the amount the injector pump puts out, until the engine is warmed up? My truck runs slow until about 140 on the temp gauge. Then all at once the power comes on, major difference in power when it warms up.

Dennis

Last edited:

M36A2

Well, I got it running again. Filters were filled with something that was as thick as pudding. Fuel lines were clogged up. I removed the fuel lines and blew air through them from a compressor. First a few drips of fuel, then a lot of debries. After cleaning all 3 filters and blowing through the lines it ran for about half an hour or so. Then the first filter was clogged up again so I cleaned everything again. I removed the fuel and poured in new. Now it's running fine. I hope it will run tomorrow because we have a tour with a lot of those vehicles.

Thanx for the info [thumbzup]

rdixiemiller

Sounds like you need to go through the whole fuel system from tank ti final filter at one time. If it looked like pudding, it was probably algea. We used to have to watch for that on the charter boats in Destin Fla. A load of algea, and you change primary filters every day for a month.

M36A2

Well, we had a run yesterday but it gave a lot of trouble. At first, the engine started up, but not immedeatly. After cranking a while it did, but stalled again. I tried a few times and finally got it idling. We drove about 50 miles but at pause-stops when I turned it off, it wouldn't start again. When another truck towed mine, it started right up whitin 10 feet of towing. Later the day, when I drove a turn, it stalled again. Having a little speed I managed to get it started again but since be were driving off road as well it stalled a few times. So the last time I got towed to start it, I drove home, not finishing our run. Just sick of the truck not reacting how it should. We noticed a thinner-or paint-like smell in the fuel tank. Okay, it is a Multi-Fuel so it should run on it but I ain't sure if thinner is good to run on. So I will remove the fuel, clean it out again and pour in new diesel. Hopefully that helps. Now I made a padlock on the tank so no more debries in my tank.
:cry:

Desert Rat

Paul,
The paint thinner smell is dead diesel reacting to dead algae. It's probably the worst thing you can do to the fuel injector distributor pump and the rest of the fuel system. You now need to purge the entire system of this lethal fuel and start over. It cost me $1800 to learn this lesson. Hopefully you have not ruined that distributor pump. Tolerances on that thing are unbelievably tight. While you are at it use some Marvel Mystery Oil to help lube those internal parts. My Herc. loves the stuff and I can tell a difference in performance. By the way, you need to insert your city and state below your incredible and awe inspiring list of vehicles. It's part of regs. here and provides us with an idea of how close or far away you are from member help.

M36A2

quote: It's part of regs. here and provides us with an idea of how close or far away you are from member help.

I thought I did say in my profile that I am in the Netherlands, Europe. You know, the old world...

Desert Rat

Paul,
Unfortunately the format doesn't show the profile in your signature. Just go to the control panel and then to the signature to update. Sorry about the snafu.

M36A2

Desert Rat said:
Paul,
Unfortunately the format doesn't show the profile in your signature. Just go to the control panel and then to the signature to update. Sorry about the snafu.
I don't understand what you're trying to say. My profile says it all. I can see it too, I asked a friend who is on this forum and he can see it too, just not on the first post.
What is snafu?

M36A2

Here is a copy that I wrote in my profile. I don't know why it doesn't show with the posts.

[color=orange>1966]

1982 GMC K30 USAF Ambulance[/color]

[color=orange>1983]

<FONT color=orange>1969 Cadillac S&S Hearse (daily driver)[/color]

[color=orange>1929]

<FONT color=orange>1971 Mercedes 280S[/color]

[color=orange>1985]

<FONT color=orange>1985 Renault 4 Sinpar (4x4)[/color]

[color=orange>1980?]

<FONT color=#ffa500>the Bombi 2b seen : [/color]http://www.pistenraupe.de/Rest/Bombi.html (the green one)

[color=yellow>................................................................................

<FONT color=cyan>Located in the Netherlands (Europe)

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hi Paul, I dont see your signature either. Anyway, on my first duece I had a similar problem where after a few miles I would loose all power and the truck would barely go until it idled for a bit. I found that the copper main fuel line that runs under the radiator had been crushed just about flat and the fuel could barely get through. Apparently the fork lift operator didnt care about the truck when loading it up from Camp Roberts and taco'd my front driveshaft and split open the exhaust pipe along with crushing the fuel line. I was an easy fix just a loooong loud slow trip home from Vandenburg. Sounds like some tree hugger was trying to sabatoge your truck. Good Luck.

M36A2

Well, I will change the fuel when I have money to buy new dieselfuel. Fuel is kinda expensive over here (about $6 for 1 gallon). In the mean time I will remove the old smelly fuel and clean the fuel lines and filters and anything else related to the system.

-Sniper-

ik kan het wel zien hoor

I can see it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1966 Kaiser M36A2 (LWB Deuce)
1982 GMC K30 USAF Ambulance
1983 Jeep Scrambler
1969 Cadillac S&S Hearse (daily driver)
1929 Ford Model A Pickup Street Rod
1971 Mercedes 280S
1985 Renault 4 panel van (6ea)
1985 Renault 4 Sinpar (4x4)
1980? Bombardier Bombi
the Bombi 2b seen : http://www.pistenraupe.de/Rest/Bombi.html (the green one)

................................................................................

Located in the Netherlands (Europe)

M36A2

Well, thanx everybody for your advice, it is running well now. I cleaned out the entire system, cleaned the filters (again), the fuel lines, emptyed the tank etc, filled it up with new diesel, added a lot of used engineoil (sifted through a large coffee-filter), breathed the air out and cranked it up. First it ran and stalled. Than I cranked it up again and it ran, just like before. It has gotten its original power and it keeps running. It even runs without the hand-throttle so I believe it is cured now.

http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/froehlich/b020.gif

rdixiemiller

Paul
SNAFU is an old military term. Systems Normal, All Fouled Up. Sometimes "Fouled" is replaced with a slightly less delicate term.....
Glad you got your buggy going. What is your diesel fuel/used motor oil recipe?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks