• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine started surging coming home and then died.

Kenneth Cole

Hi
I posted this problem before and the responses didn't help. Still thanks for the help. Anyway I unhooked the fuel line coming out of the fuel filter and fuel is coming out. One question I have is should it be a steady stream or a pulsing one? Also someone said to check the automatic fuel shutoff . Can someone tell me where this is and how to test it? Also how can I check if fuel is making it to the cylinders?

Thanks for the help.
Ken

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
can check fuel to the cylinders by loosening (but not removing) one of the hard lines to the injectors. If it starts weeping fuel when it's cranking, you can pretty much eliminate the fuel system as the likely issue (unless most of the injectors suddenly failed somehow, which is pretty unlikely but not impossible)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When it was surging/dying, did you see any color to the exhaust smoke?
When you are cranking it over can you see any smoke out the exhaust?
How does the air filter restriction gauge look?

Kenneth Cole

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coug
I checked the filter gage and it is at the bottom. Also there is no smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Ken
Do not trust the gauge. Open it up and have a look see. Same for the fuel filter. A small amount of fuel out the hose when cranking does not mean the filter is good. If you have not changed/remover the filter now is the time to do so. Eliminate the choke points one at a time. I think you may be surprised at what you find in the fuel. Good luck and be sure and post you fix after its running.

Kenneth Cole

Hi
Ok, I checked the air filter and it was fine. I Unhooked both the input and output on the fuel filter lines and fuel is coming out real good. I unhooked one of the injector lines at the cylinder and fuel does weep out of the line. I just don't know how much should be coming out.
Any thoughts as to what to do next. All of these tests are while cranking over the engine.
Ken

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi
Ok, I checked the air filter and it was fine. I Unhooked both the input and output on the fuel filter lines and fuel is coming out real good. I unhooked one of the injector lines at the cylinder and fuel does weep out of the line. I just don't know how much should be coming out.
Any thoughts as to what to do next. All of these tests are while cranking over the engine.
Ken
I believe you need to 'remove' the filter housing and clean and replace the filter...... remove two hoses, 2 bolts to the fire wall, three bolts on the top, see whats inside. My two cents. When cranking you should get a decent spurt of fuel up from the pump as the engine turns over. Just my two cents.

Kenneth Cole

Hi
I had changed the fuel filter last year and as much fuel is coming out of the line from the fuel pump going into the filter as is coming out of the filter so I think the filter is fine.
Ken

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi
I had changed the fuel filter last year and as much fuel is coming out of the line from the fuel pump going into the filter as is coming out of the filter so I think the filter is fine.
Ken
If you have the panel in the floor to get to the fuel sender you might want to have a look in the tank also. ( By the way there is one bolt on the front of the fuel filter to take off, getting it back on is not so easy. I turned mine around and tacked the bolt to the bracket.) Your description sounds like fuel starvation is the reason everyone is chasing those points, myself included. There is a sock in the tank that can clog. It also has a bypass in the end that had rusted up on one of my trucks. I believe there is a screen in the pump itself where the fuel enters the pump, at least it's in the parts diagram. When I have replaced pumps as soon as you get fuel to the injector I could close them off and get it cranked. Electrical power to the shut off in the pump, but your didn't die instantly.....PUMP DIED....had that happen, also in the driveway. Stuck open slightly, stopped it with the brake, shifted into neutral it revved up slightly and when I blipped the throttle it died not to restart. The pump had about 150 miles and 18 or 19 years on it. (Never been thru Wapiti looks like you're in a nice place but not to get a pump rebuilt) Good luck!

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Not much. Wrap a paper towel around it and crank 20 seconds. Wait a minute and crank again. It should be wet, not sopping wet, but not dry either. (scientific measuring method)

All done... could squeeze wring out a few drops. Don't get the big idea to hold your finger on it, checking for pressure.

Somethings you just don't do, CAMO

Kenneth Cole

OK
She started for me and I let it run for a couple minutes. Came back 20 minutes later and she started but started to serge and then killed. I did this a couple more times with the same results.
Ken

Glider

I think it is a fuel problem. Check the hoses at fuel tank. I just had an experience of a 998 acting very erratic very similar to your experience. Turns out it was a loose fuel line connection to tank. When running it would suck air along with fuel and send it all through the injection pump making it run erratic and act possessed. After tightening hose it settled down and runs fine now. To be clear, it was so bad the owner thought the engine was going to need replacememt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks