• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine surgeons ??

tourus

I have an 85 M1010. 58,500 miles on it . I have had a new IP. pump for about 3 years now. when it was rebuilt it was turn up about 12-15 %. I have had the head gaskets done. and the transmission rebuilt. but for quite some time the engine surges right at 55 MPH. if it is at a coast if I am pulling like going up hill or if I am loaded it does not do anything. only empty (I have a flat bed on back). If I can cruse at say 60 and maintain it . it runs great but let of and it surges until below 55MPH. then smooth . any Ideas or thought as to what I could do to stop this . yes the problem has been for a few years but have not seen any threads as for a cause so had some time thought I would just ask. say what the hey and just ask. I also do have marine injectors. but all this was there before any mods where done. ANY IDEAS ??

Barrman

Theory on diesels is so simple. Put clean fuel to the IP, let the IP send the pressurized fuel to the injectors and let any left over fuel go back to the tank. Have a clean air filter and unrestricted air access. Then spin it fast enough to make fire and let it run.

It doesn't read like you have any mechanical issues with the engine. You obviously have good air access to be able to get to that speed. That just leaves fuel.

My first thought when reading your post was IP. Many of us have had issues with the engine running great under load or acceleration. Then let off and the power doesn't come back on until things slow down a lot. Like coasting with your foot flat on the floor from 60 down to 40. Then full power again until you let off. I would guess that if you let the truck warm up, floor it from idle and let go of the pedal as soon as the rpm's start going up. That the engine will die or stumble real bad for a bit. That is IP issues.

Try the test above, just don't let it rev up very much. You are testing the snap part, not the rpm part. Pull your IP return check valve and see if it has little black chunks in there. Actually, anything in there is bad besides the clear glass spring loaded ball. I would suggest pulling the IP cover and seing if any junk is in the resevoir. There probably is something based on what you describe.

If all that checks out ok. Start with the normal basics. Good fuel pick up in the tank, solid non porous fuel line to the lift pump, non leaking lift pump, good flexible hose to the lift pump, non leaking filter and good lines to and from the filter. Then un restricted return lines all the way to the tank. If that checks out, you are full circle and back to the IP.

You wrote that it was a new IP. Was it really new or un used sitting on a shelf for 20 years, rebuilt and sitting for a few years, or truly built, put in your hand and installed that day? They have a shelf life. I have been told by Stanadyne people that putting one on the shelf as a spare is useless after a few months. They need to be sealed up with fuel in them and still are only considered good for 5-8 years.

tourus

the IP pump was mine rebuilt >> I brought it to a very trust worthy place here in Bangor ME. Spent $ 900.00 . So after reading you reply I will check the return line back to the tank. I know the check valve is clean I have had it out to clean a while ago and all the fuel lines and return lines are new. on the low end it idles like a kitten smooth. I know the fuel is clean I drive the truck every day and change the fuel filter with the oil.. I have a K&N filter so yes it does breath well.

cucvrus

013.jpg012.jpg010.jpgThis is what I usually find when I pull the fuel tanks and sending unit out of these old trucks. Not very nice. And they do run better after the strainer is replaced. I am not saying yours is like this but if you have not changed it it could be. I have seen a few with beige paint /foil inner cap seals from conditioner bottles and dry gas containers stuck fast to the strainer. I have also seen beige paint from the inside of the steel jerry cans. Check it out it is worth the trouble. Good Luck. I do have a GM service bulletin back in the day that mentions the surging that you are describing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks