• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine surges while under load

Alredneck

Banned
Howdy all, I took the LA deuce out today ( Louise ) it gave Woody and me some problems coming back from Polk a couple months ago. After a new fuel pump we thought it was running better. Not the case I had the fuel filters out think they may be the culprit. I drove it about 60 miles round trip. It runs good at idle but when you are on the road say running ( by speedo ) 45mph just cruising the engine bogs down or surges like its not getting enough fuel. If I start blipping the throttle it comes back to life and goes on along till it starts over again. After a long 60 miles I got it back to the house and am wonder what might be causing this. Also Woody was running over junk cars with this same truck a few months ago and had to replace the steering column and box. It is my understanding that you cant pull the steering box with out removing the ip pump because of clearance issues. If this is true could the pump just be a lil out of time, if so how to re time this thing. Could it be in the injector head, there does seem to be a miss at full throttle and the truck wont go over 50mph but use to before all these issues. Anybody have any ideas, pics on how to fix. It seems like the new year through a lot on my plate. Business to run, contracts to find, trucks to fix, property to clear,divorce court, it seems it never ends!:grd:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If Woody was running over junk cars, then one of them probably got some revenge on the fuel line running from the primary filter over to the secondary. That line is exposed on the bottom rear of the front crossmember in the frame (just behind the radiator). It probably got crushed a bit and is not letting enough fuel over to the secondary filters. Make sure it is round all the way from where it exits the primary till it enters the secondary filter. Then check from the final filter to the IP for the same thing.2cents

Pulling up an old one here, my truck is having a somewhat similar issue, when im cruising at about 2k in 4th or in 5th (depending on traffic/speed, I don't know if it does this in 1-3) the truck will randomly surge for anything from 1-6 seconds, and then seem to lose power after again. Also, in only 4th and 5th, I seem to get no extra power from about 50-65% pedal on down to the floor, I had to try and push her a bit more than normal yesterday due to an emergency and needed my speedy truck.

So I'm thinking one of two things, first and easiest, it's time for fuel filters, and worse case/probly much harder, worn out gov springs.

What say the repair gods? And for search Nazis, I found 2 threads, this matched closest, but wasn't definitive, my Search Fu has improved 8)

Thanks in advance,
James

Wow, I just came inside from a trip in mine and was about to post about it doing THE SAME THING! This has never happend to me before! It has run great all summer and fall but I haven't had much experience in the winter. Could the temp have something to do with it??? Stranger still I park it in neutral and try to make it happen by just running the throttle up but It seems to only happen under load in every gear for me! Made a 10 min trip a half hour, stalled four times. It didn't have any problems getting to the destination just on the way back. I let her warm up completely before running it, and everything else I was supposed to do.... What the l-lell? ? ? ?:-(

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Do you guys drain your fuel filter housings often? If not there is your issue. the cold freezes the water the filters trap and cut fuel flow.

shenkmen

Change your fuel filters. I got my deuce from the same source as you and the filters were not changed. See attached. Get some fresh oil and oil filters too. I went with spin on's for everything.

EDIT: This comment was intended for Deuce_and_a_Half_Dragon. Sorry Alredneck if I've misguided you.

Attachments

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
my deuce was doing the same thing. I had replaced all the filters around 3k miles ago but the fuel filters were already shot. Remember when you start driving them and dumping in nice clean fuel its going to clean the system out.. and the filters loose every time.

Filters are a deffinate, I tried draining mine with pump off, nothing from primary, nothing from forward secondary(final? Just behinde IP) and a drizzle from rear secondary. Turned the pump on and got a drizzle from primary ( did not check forward secondary again). All diesel, no water. Already ordered new filters with the napa part numbers. So tomorrow is fuel filter day, lol

Filters are a deffinate, I tried draining mine with pump off, nothing from primary, nothing from forward secondary(final? Just behinde IP) and a drizzle from rear secondary. Turned the pump on and got a drizzle from primary ( did not check forward secondary again). All diesel, no water. Already ordered new filters with the napa part numbers. So tomorrow is fuel filter day, lol
What's that number real quick??? haha And how do you drain the water from your fuel filter housing as stated earlier in the thread??

Primary 3511
Secondary 3512

There is a drain coc at the bottom of all 3 housings, might need a pair of pliers to open them the first time, my secondaries were a PITA till I got out the pliers, now they're easy :grd:

Changed my filters the other day and I think I have found the problem, I have a fuel leak at the fitting comming off the primary to that line running under the crossmember. Anyone know the PN or NSN for this incase I can't get a good take off on my adventure today?