• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine swap fuel efficiency?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question for you guys, who have made the engine switch from the multifuel to a more conventional engine; was there a change in fuel economy?
How many MPG's before and after the swap, that's the question.

The multifuel engine uses a combustion process, which is more controlled than the conventional, supposedly producing less knock under low load conditions, an overall improved efficiency (more complete combustion) and less sensitive to the kind of fuel burned.

Thanks,

M35guy

Spicergear did one I think. his I believe is a Cat diesel and something like a 7 or 8 spd tranny.

Westech

CPL
heck my multi gets 10-12 mpg all day when taking it ez. i love that thing just wish i had a little higher gear to keep the revs down to 2200 or so. other then that its a good motor and I cn beat the crap out of it and it still has never left me anywhere. if you were to do a swap you might want to stick with a motor around the same size. any more and its too much power to keed the mpg's up and too small your going to have to work it to deth to make the thing move (and lose mpg's) its a small fit if thats what your looking for. remember that todays tractors around deuce/5 ton size only get aroung 5-8 mpg. the multi is really not that bad if you look at it. :driver:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I go along with Westech's numbers, I get 9-10 mpg on a long trip including ilde times. I drive at about 55 plus for hours on end.
My gross vehicle weight is about 18,000 to 20,000 lb (most recent Florida trip).
5 mpg for a deuce on the highway is not anywhere near normal, perhaps for 5-tonner...

Westech

CPL
check your air filter!! that thing has to be clean clean clean!! Im instaling a 5 ton fender filter and that should bring up the mpg's even more. 5 mpg is a tad low for a multi. even the gov says a deuce should get 8.5 mpg on road.

cbvet

Okay, so what's wrong?
I've mentioned before that this thing blows a LOT of smoke, & I asked if the fuel could be turned down to reduce it.
Most of the responses said to add a turbo. I don't want to.
Wouldn't some sort of fuel adjustment help?
I starts great in cold weather. Runs really well. Really don't need the manifold heater.
Any other suggestions?
Eric

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
A turbo will increase your mpg. At least it did after I turbo charged a N/A 1986 v.w. jetta. Bumped up the mpg by about 4-5mpg, not to mention the added power.
That was without increasing the fuel rate.

Katch1

cranetruck if you are looking at an engine swap, and want good milage, I think you would need a 5.9 cummings, I've seen someone advertises swapping this motor into deuces. I don't know how they would perform for your application. I had one and liked it, never scaled much over 17,000 with that truck, but it performed ok. i also saw that somebody put the 7.3 ford in a mud truck they had made, I do have a 7.3 in my current truck, and have scaled beyond 20,000 many times with no ill effects in 3 1/2 yrs, m.p.g are only in the low teens at this weight, where I never got the cummings under 15

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Katch1, don't get me wrong, I have no reason to want to swap engines. Just interested
in comparing MPG's with a different engine in the deuce (not other vehicle).

cbvet

I checked mpg using the odometer & fuel used. I made no allowance for idling time, but I can't imagine it would add much.
As I've mentioned previously, the smoke is so bad, that the high school band stayed back nearly 1/4 mile at our last parade.
It doesn't use oil.
So what about "turning the fuel down" to improve mpg & reduce smoke? How is it done? How do I make sure I don't get it too
lean & damage the engine?
And thanks guys, for the helpful suggestions!
Eric

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks