• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine swap fun

SEAFIRE

Our M35A2 W/W brush truck started having some engine noise recently, but our mechanic couldn't trace the exact problem.
We decided to go ahead and swap out the engine, we recently picked up two new/rebuilt engines at the DRMO yard in San Antonio for $600 each, plus we have a 3rd engine we pulled out of a M35A2C that was about to be scrapped.
We helped one of our sister VFD's swap out an engine last year in their M35A2, so our mechanic has done this before.

Well... last Wednesday, he pulled the truck out of the station to take it to the shop, got a few feet out of the station and BANG!, the engine seized up, the block had two holes in it, guess we picked the right time to swap the engine, lol.

See pics below, I'll post more later on.

Attachments

Last edited:

SEAFIRE

I guess it doesn't have that noise anymore.....
lol

With my luck it would have let go in the middle of a busy intersection! Be thankful.
Very True...

Is (or should I say was) the engine a White multi??
BC
The old engine was a Continental LD-465-1C multi-fuel non-turbo. We added a "D" turbo, re-timed the injection for a turbo engine, and bypassed the FDC.

pics are of the new engine getting it ready to install.

The forklift was picked up at DRMO in San Antonio for $1000.

Attachments

Last edited:

JDToumanian

The old engine was a Continental LD-465-1C multi-fuel non-turbo. We added a "D" turbo, re-timed the injection for a turbo engine
The fact that it's not a White makes me feel better about my deuce's White, but I wonder if the re-timing had anything to do with it.... I thought there was no timing difference between turbo and non-turbo, but it could be CRS Syndrome.

Jon

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OUCH - I hate to see a powerplant failure.

On another note.... I'm curious about what you're going to do with the engine can??? Our truck came with a spare engine in the can, but there was no TOP on the can, just the bottom "half". If y'all won't be using it, I might be interested. PM me.

SEAFIRE

[FONT=&quot]
The fact that it's not a White makes me feel better about my deuce's White, but I wonder if the re-timing had anything to do with it.... I thought there was no timing difference between turbo and non-turbo, but it could be CRS Syndrome.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
We have two certified diesel mechanics in our VFD, and the manual for the engine(s), the engine was re-timed per the manual, and with advice from the guys on this forum when we added it. It's my understanding that the original non-turbo engines were timed differently.

[/FONT]
I suspect the engine failure is likely due to FD's not having time to let the multi warm up before taking off.

If that was the case we should of blown our other M35A2 engine before now as it has been in service almost 3 years longer. Only about a third of us are authorized to drive the two deuces and we wait until the air builds up, etc before we take off.

OUCH - I hate to see a powerplant failure.

On another note.... I'm curious about what you're going to do with the engine can??? Our truck came with a spare engine in the can, but there was no TOP on the can, just the bottom "half". If y'all won't be using it, I might be interested. PM me.
Sorry, we are going to use the can for now to store the LDT-465-1D we pulled out of a M35A2C until we get time to see whats wrong with it.

Ouch! I'm glad she didn't give away on a call. Beautiful engine!!! Was the blown engine a rebuild as well?
The engine in the can in post #5 is the engine I mentioned above that we had previously pulled out of a truck that was going to the scrapyard. The engine that cratered we feel was maybe the original engine, the truck and engine had no rebuild tags or stamps, unlike our other deuce which was tagged in several places where the chassis and engine were overhauled.

I'll post more pics later on as the work progresses

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW you guys have experienced one of my really bad dreams, I can sure see in an emergency situation it being hard to let these motors warm up good to operating temp but any way you look at holes in the block where they are not supposed to be is avery bad thing! Install the new motor and get this old soldier back on the road, thanks for the pics I hope thats as close as i ever get to something like this!
KK

SEAFIRE

I like the yellow tool with the wooden handle. That used to adjust the timing?
lol.
I think they were using it to straighten out the lip of sheet metal in the picture at the top of where the radiator goes that was bent putting the engine in, or maybe they were using it for the timing :O

The new engine came with all kinds of paperwork, showing the spec's, each cylinder compression, etc. The max RPM is set at 2800.
Also came with some kind of ether bottle kit for cold weather starting?

Last edited:

kbush

I am so jealous. I would kill to have a fresh multifuel like that. My engines good but I'd like to have my truck for many years and a spare motor. Thank you for the pictures.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ain't it GREAT that you don't have to yank the hood off of a Deuce (or 5-ton, etc.) to pull the engine :?:

REO had a "BETTER IDEA :idea:" before FORD ever dreamed of putting the slogan in a commercial :!::!:

(Any of you other OLD GUYS remember the old Bill Cosby FORD endorsements????)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks