• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Swap Help Turns Bad

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I took the M108 over to help a young fella swap engines in his deuce tractor. Spent a few hours there, skinned up a few knuckles. On my last hoorah, I was draining the oil out of the removed engine so he could remove the oil pan. When I stood up, I caught my head on the freshly sawn off exhaust pipe (rusty). After I got a towel and plugged up the gusher, I stowed my equipment and drove home all while holding the direct pressure. Got to the ER at 1735 hrs and left at 2300. The laceration was just under 2" long and took 20 sutures to close. Oh well, needed another tetanus shot anyway. The dude took a couple of pics, I'll get them when I can and post them.

rdixiemiller

A real man would have cauterized that little scratch with a propane torch, used a little Jack Daniels anesthesia, and stapled the cut shut with a box stapler. Maybe 20 minutes, then back to work!
Seriously, head wounds sure do bleed!!!! Especially one that takes 20 sutures.
Take it easy for a few days, that thing is going to want to open up on you.
Next time, wear a hard hat!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you'r okay, Kenny. A cut like that sure bleeds a lot, can look real scary too.
I can see how you might get hurt in your eagerness to help someone, slow down a little!
I'm thinking about the brakes you adjusted on my deuce while I visited you last winter, by the time I finished the sentence about needing to adjust them, you had your coveralls on and were twisting the adjustment screws...
You are a good man, Kenny, thanks!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
nopics ,

kenny needs to be awared the purple heart for being injured while on SS duty

i would guess anybody ealse would have had 40 stitches, but kenny being as hard headed that he is only got away with a 20 stitch combat wound.

im really glad that all it was , this mite be good fore some "poor baby" from the wife.

this goes to show just how QUICK a injury can happen in the mv world, even to a VERY expenanced mver, so guys PLEASE be careful, remember we cant enjoy our mvs if were laid up hurt.

again kenny , real glad that you walked away from this and it wasnt worse then it was, take care

Opie

Recovery4x4,

Ouch!

My apologies for your extensive (and expensive) travails. The American health system is becoming more overburdened by the day, and 30,000 qualified individuals applied to nursing schools last year for which there weren't place in the classrooms. The only way things will get better/faster is for the US to continue stripping foreign countries of their best and brightest nurses and doctors until the American system creates a way to catch up with the demands of our aging population.

Let's hope I don't fall down as I get off of my soapbox!

Opie
RN (on an understaffed hospital unit)
EMT-Basic, volunteer (HA! You CAN'T cut my paycheck!)

Deuceswild

Glad your OK Kenny,

This morning I will be going over to a friends house with my Deuce to help him do a engine transplant in his Deuce, I will remember your story and proceed with caution.
Jeff

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess the moral of the story is this. If you see anything rust and freshly sawn off, get rid of it before it gets you. I remember looking at that pipe and thinking, "Thats Dangerous"

spicergear

Yeah...my buddy's '55 chevy had bad brakes so he replaced everything. I get there as he's trying to get the line from the master cylinder down to the splitter off. He's already removed the master and twited it back and fourth and broken off the line. I lean my head over the fender and ask him what's going on...about that time he pushed it up and stabbed me in the eye. VERY lucky to have not lost my eye or vision due to many attributes of that instance.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear of your injury! After my little incident this week, I really know that "saw that coming" feeling! aua

devilman96

First question... How bad did you bend the pipe???

Second question... What happened to "I am only running the crane and observing"???

Damn it I should have went with you guys yesterday!!! (Could have had the pics posted faster??) .... Or maybe an extra set of hands would have helped prevent it... *sigh*.... im'a BAD BAD BAD MV'er!!!

Jones

Great, now I've gotta launch into my "play-nice, don't-run-with-scissors, watch-that-name-calling-young-man-or-I'll-wash-your-mouth-out-with-soap, just-wait-'til-your-father-gets-home" speech.
Remember, it's hard to enjoy big green in a body cast.
Signed, Mom

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gheez! I couuldn't just watch while the young fella ran around in circles. Luckily the job was almost done. Old engine was out, new one was in. I had the old engine suspended so that he could take the oil pan off. If I had left when I said I was all would have been well. I didn't, tried to help and spilled some mud. No worries! I hope he comes by so I can get a copy if the one or two pics he took.

Desert Rat

Kenny,

It makes my three toes feel better. Idiot me, I dropped my alternator on them as I was reinstalling the blasted thing to help Hunter. Worse yet, I gotta yank it out again since the repairs from the shop didn't work!

FSBruva

I put an elbow into a driveshaft today, Dave swears it shook the truck... stupid axle oil fill holes were tightened with an impact wrench, I think. Well, now I have that auxilliary second right elbow I always wanted...

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks