• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine swap on an m35

ihmopar

Has anyone ever swaped a 6-71 Detroit into an M35. I have a 1960 Reo M35 with the 331 gas engine. I have a junked road tractor with a good 6-71 detroit and a 10 speed road ranger. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried this swap an if it would work.
Thanks for info.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope, take some measurements and let us know how it utrns out. I'd love to hear a deuce with a detroit!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 6-71 is pretty long. I'd take some good measurements to make sure it will fit.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might have to extend the frame and hood. That would look weird but then so do deusenbergs.

ihmopar

Yeah, I am afraid it will be to long. I haven't got to measure it yet. I really don't won't to cut the hood up to lengthen it. I thought I would ask around and see if anyone else had tried it. I pays to ask around before you learn the hard way.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
an 8v71 or a 8v53 ( even a 6v would work) would be a good swap, in ca., at the paso robles airport, there is a military museum, in the back they had a DEUCE 1/2 track, it was from Israel, had the stepped frame, ect. it was missing the motor, but was set up for a 6v53, which was stated on the data plate

Last edited:

overmanjh

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
His truck does have that motor, but he had to add an extra rad out in front of the stock grill to get it done. Looks real goofy, but I'm sure it fits his needs. If you have enough time and money, you can do anything.

Gunfreak25

The Canadian MLVW's had 8.2 Detroits. I would LOVE to see a 6-71 powered M35. I think it would fit if you made little doggy house in the cab. Most of the trucks equipped with the 6-71's had dog houses anyway.

Make sure you sound deaden the cab if you don't want to loose what's left of your hearing.

Post up pics, we need to see this conversion done! :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks