• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine swap problems

beanman1

MY oem engine took a crap (spun #3 rod bearing) so i came across a good 6.2. engine ans when i swappped my injection pump,intake manifold,oil pan , water pump, etc... over and finnally got the engine to fire up there was a whole lot of blow by pouring out of the oil fill cap and a very ruff idle. i removed the cdr valve and temporarly installed a piece of pipe in its place the blow by went away but the engine still idled real ruff. i didnt bleed the injectors i just bleed the air from the fuel filter so i guess there could be an air lock somewhere? should i have bled the air from the onjectors onstead i am kind of stumped here. I know it isnt the timing i checked that 3 times and the injection pump only goes on the gear 1 way so now anyone have an idea, compression is excellent all the way around.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could have a bad/fouled injector.

beanman1

I was thinking the same thing doghead because i didnt change the injectors but i was going to pm you too see what ideas you had

rnd-motorsports

Have had a plugged injector before. You may have got some dirt in line when you swaped everything doesn't take much.If you have or can get a infrared thermometer with truck running point at all exhaust ports look for the cool one to find bad injector check as close to the head as pos and the same spot on all cylinders you will see the dif of the bad one

BIG_RED

Or you could "crack" (slightly loosen) compression fitting on each injector while it's running, one at a time. (then retighten and crack the next one) (cracking them makes them leak fuel and stop injecting into cylinder, basically turns off the cylinder) Each injector should slow the engine down the same amount. If you find one that makes less difference than the others - that's your problem cylinder. (cause it wasn't working as well as the others).

2deuce

Was the rough idle like a miss or random. Does it start hard? You said finally got it to start. Could be pulling air. I would check down at the pump first, since those connections are new.

beanman1

OK guys I didnt have time today to work on the truck but i will this week end. Pigfoot the engine started right up after i bled the fuel filter. i am going to change the injectors out this week end and we will see what happens from there

beanman1

well i changed all the injectors today and still the same old ruff idle now i am stumped it starts easy but idles like it is miss firing do not what else to do any ideas

pigfoot63

See Big Red reply and try that if you have not. You need to isolate which cylinder is causing
your skip. If you have a way to check compresson also try that. Go simple first.

beanman1

ok i did the line crack on each injector all seemed to change the sound of the engine i will have to mess around with it agian later because now it is time to get ready for work

beanman1

i have no idea i am stuck New injectors new lift pump new fuel lines new fuel filter new injection pump timing is correct and it is still running ruff like it is skipping

pigfoot63

Beanman, have you checked compression and is it good. Also are you sure that you do not have a injector line crossed and not going to the right cylinder, injector lines can be crossed
at the pump just like spark plug wires.

beanman1

i am going to check that tomorrow but when i took the injection pump off the old engine it was romoved with the lines all attached the only thing i did not change was the rubber lines that run to each injector i didnt see any fuel leaking from the lines thats why i didnt change them

southdave

Have you worked the Linkage yet just letting it idle? mine did simlar thing til I grabed the linikage on the and rev it a couple of times assumed it had somthing to do with the cold idle function

2deuce

Mine was skipping at idle, then the IP went out and I changed everything out like you did. Besides the IP mine was pulling air thru the lift pump. It idles good now. What my old IP was doing to make the miss I don't know, but after the glass beat plugged up a couple of times, I knew it had to be replaced and that cured 90% of the rough idle. The fuel pump cured the rest. I was living with the bad idle for years. I asked in a earlier post if it was hard to start, but that would signal a big enough air leak for fuel to run back to the tank. My truck started easy and cleared up above idle when it was idling bad, which sounds similar to yours. I think mine was pulling a small amount of air from the fuel pump. I changed that pump because it was leaking. The next time I have a fuel problem, I'm going to connect an electric fuel pump to it, pressurize and look for leaks, without running the engine.

beanman1

i have no i dea what ever is wrong but it is pouring white smoke out of the driverside exhaust i thought it was coolant but it is not it smells like fuel to me

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks