• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Swap PROs/CONs?

So 67_C-30, thanks for the comparison of Banks vs GM turbo setups. Leads me to another question. When using a GM setup will I be able to keep both batteries and both alternators?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So 67_C-30, thanks for the comparison of Banks vs GM turbo setups. Leads me to another question. When using a GM setup will I be able to keep both batteries and both alternators?
I have a "stock" setup on my 1008. I still have both alternators. The back battery tray had to be removed, but I used a factory driver's side tray to relocate it.

MilChevyguy

Anyone have part numbers for these turbo setups? or instructions on how to add one? do they need tuning like a gas engine would?

Wow that would be a great upgrade without major modding.

86m1028

Guess you miss the whole "concept" of keeping these trucks relitively original.

Not picking on you but this whole concept of "relively original" is bull. Look how many are swapping higher gears & 700r4 trans ? Talk about butchering a truck & killing its purpose.

Yes, Im one of the ones putting A/C & a gasser motor in one of mine.
I want a "reliable" truck that can go over 65mph :)

Last edited:

Skinny

Not picking on you but this whole concept of "relively original" is bull. Look how many are swapping higher gears & 700r4 trans ? Talk about butchering a truck & killing its purpose.

Yes, Im one of the ones putting A/C & a gasser motor in one of mine.
I want a "reliable" truck that can go over 65mph :)
I don't think gearing swaps or a 700R4 is butchering. Even though a TH400 in stock form is much more reliable than the 700, the 700 is still fully hydraulic (other than the lockup switch) and requires no computer to function. You are not detracting from the function of a CUCV by doing that if done right especially in an M1009. I'm just stating that most people looking for and willing to pay for a CUCV want the bare bones reliability of the diesel. On top of which most of the time these things are hacked up when conversions are done. Relatively original I think means it has been booty fab'd or backyard re-engineered because someone can't figure out how a perfectly good diesel works.

67_C-30

I have a "stock" setup on my 1008. I still have both alternators. The back battery tray had to be removed, but I used a factory driver's side tray to relocate it.
Patracy is correct - you have to relocate the rear battery, and you cannot run 6-TL's (which most people don't do anyway). My boss is a Interstate battery dealer, and he can get them for me for less than $100 each. I love the look of them, and I left my interior light for 3 days once, and the truck still started, so I'm a believer in them.

67_C-30

Anyone have part numbers for these turbo setups? or instructions on how to add one? do they need tuning like a gas engine would?

The Banks set-up is a kit and is around $2100 new. http://performancetruckproducts.com...-sub-h-d-2wd?gclid=COrdn5Sf1bUCFQ6xnQodqgsAcA

It is a bolt on deal, besides the air box (which you could run if you put civilian battery trays and batteries).

The other set-up is from '93 - '98 Chevy/GMC 6.5 liter diesels. It requires a bit more fabrication, but is a great set-up. You can buy these on ebay or even at pull a part cheap. I like the turbo on the 6.5 set-up better than the Banks, but I like the Banks manifold way better than the GM piece. The Banks manifold is below the injectors glow plugs/wires and can be ran on factory A/C trucks. I'll never know why GM went with manifold set-up that they did when the Banks kit was already on the market before they came out with their's.

Well I'm definitely not paying $2100 for a new Banks. I am also using two brand new military 6-TLs. I may end up holding off if I have to deep six a couple hundred dollars worth of batteries to fit it in.

SnowMan74

how the heck do i make my own post? i just got in here by axadent...anyway i need a engine wiring harnessNSN# 01-160-1699 for my m1009 that i just melted

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

If you're going to buy a turbo setup from GM based on the parts number, you'll spend more than a Banks kit.

You'll want to turn up the pump to get more power out of it. But honestly you can install it without any pump fueling mods if you wanted.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
how the heck do i make my own post? i just got in here by axadent...anyway i need a engine wiring harnessNSN# 01-160-1699 for my m1009 that i just melted
With the new thread button in the top corner. Specifically, you'll need to post that in the parts wanted section.

elliott3

You can't hardly come on a mostly purist website like this and not get bashed for conversion questions. My 1009 with TBI 350 & 700R4 is my favorite to drive. My 1008 stock is okay but has it's drawbacks compared to the 1009. Both have 1008 running gear so it's easy to tell the difference.Do I regret my conversion NO, the a/c and other things added make it much nicer to drive. Even the wife will drive the 1009. Is that a good thing?

You can't hardly come on a mostly purist website like this and not get bashed for conversion questions.
Very true. I like my 1008 in mostly stock form, but I also like doing some natural improvements that I feel would have been good ideas from the factory to make them more usable for what they were intended for. Many folks are ok with adding lifts but since I am now considering adding a turbo I have been browsing the "Hotrodding your CUCV" part of the forum. Maybe this thread should be in that section...

I started out with the lift mainly so I could use more tire diameter to bring RPMs down to a sane range since I drive my truck a lot. I did not want to change the gearing or trans. Then the bug bit...

Last edited: