• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Swap with JD 310....

TsgtB

I talked to the rental place today about getting a lift (skytrak, telehandler type) to do my swap today, construction must be booming as they are hard to keep on the lot...

He (the sales person) suggested a John Deere 310 size 2wd backhoe?
I have ran 40hp and smaller backhoe's, skytracks and a case 850 long track dozer....
but not the larger commercial backhoe..

The specs say the hoe will lift it.... has anyone done it?
Or would I be better off to use the front loader?
I would think the larger backhoe would have better control for the swap.

Thanks for any input...

rustystud

The 310 backhoe is to small and you will tip it if you try. I suppose if you loaded the bucket with rock or something really heavy it might work, but I don't believe the backhoe will have the power to lift it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are talking about using the end-loader front bucket right? That machine is big enough to do the job and I highly doubt it will tip over. The 310 is bigger than mine and you can ask any of the guys around that have seen me pick up stuff with my New Holland 455C and it's smaller. I picked up the front end of an M818 just to see if it would do it. Plus I unloaded my Deuce engine in the can from the back of JW's M932 (cargo tructor).

If you are talking about trying to lift it with the backhoe end, don't bother. Although great for digging, mine will barely lift a M809 transfer case when outstretched. Put a backhoe all the way out with the teeth 3 feet off the ground and you can tip it with one hand. Leverage is a wonderful thing.

Personally after getting my overhead chain-fall in the barn I would never try it with a piece of equipment. Too much finesse work.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Case 580L here and I have used the front loader for both 2.5 ton and 5 ton motor removals.

I would only use it for installation as a last choice.

In the past with a much older/less smooth machine, I would lift an engine and use the loader and a chainfall to install anything that needed finesse.

TsgtB

I had not thought of using a chain fall from the bucket.... that would make it smooth.

I cant use a gantry crane with the truck parked in the dirt, and being on a little bit of a slope.
I even thought of making a small section of metal rail road track type set up, to roll a crane back and forth...
I just don't want it "getting away" and at that point, the rental equipment is cheaper.

TsgtB

I might could help you out with my wrecker. How far from me are you? I swear I've been through Granbury but I can't remember where it is.
Wow Jeepsinker, thank you so much for the offer...

I am still 3 weeks out from the swap, I'm planning my swap around the time of delivery of the engine, and I know it would be a logistic nightmare to get all the stars to line up for too much.
I'm ok with renting the skytrak and short boom... (that way I can only cuss myself for a mistake...)
But I tell you what, just the offer, is heartfelt... thank you. (even for a paid mx to offer to travel that far)

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't dismiss his offer so soon, this may be a good opportunity for a few SS guys to get together and help one another and make friends and have a good time(all at once).

We have done more than one engine swap/party and it is always fun.

TsgtB

Thanks Doghead, I am looking forward to this evolution.
The physical part of the unloading the engine/crate, pulling the mostly bare block from the engine bay,
getting the clutch and pressure plate on the new motor and taking my time to lower that into its new home....
Getting that far, with the mechanical assistance isn't where I feel i'll need the help.

Getting all the connections and grounding straps, air and fuel lines, proper fluids and hoses together,
in hopes of seeing a 22 year old rebuilt power plant to come to life, THAT is where my pucker factor pegs out...
To get to that point, where the gauges settle in on good numbers, puddles and causes cured, THIS is where i'm going to need
back up... experienced minds who have seen it pretty much all and can make that suggestion on a fix....

I look forward to getting together and enjoying my accomplishments with those who have helped so many others, and hope to pass my experiences on to someone in need....
I'm looking at it like a mud hole.... I got myself into it.... lets see if I can get out. Just knowing there's a big winch truck or a cold beverage on the other side, its a good feeling.
Thanks again, and thanks for answering questions that have been asked thousands of times before.... its part of the learning curve.

Jeepsinker

I understand what you are saying, but if you change your mind I'm sure we can get a few members together here and have a fun meet. I have a big shop, air tools, big blast cabinet, everything we would need, plus 4.5 acres of campground that is my fields.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The seat was borrowed, to help my back for the ride home.

I returned it, the next time we got together.

TsgtB

Well, I have the new engine in the truck, just an inch from being able to put in the motor mount bolts....
then I ran out of energy and sunlight.... and today, RAIN.... maybe tomorrow i'll get it lined up and get the transmission to slide into place.....
powerup.jpg

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks