• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Swap

tm america

ya i think the stock trans will handle way more power and torque than they rate them at the worlds fastest pick up truck has a 3053a in it and does close to 300 mph it's running a cummins for power i think it is pushing something like 1200 -1500hp :roll:not sure what all they did to the trans but it was a good enough starting point for them to use it

jblack6527

I think that a slightly hot-rodded big block would be a cool choice for a bob deuce. Shoot, leave the stock trans in there, and see what it will take. As far as the 4L80E, there is a guy on another forum i visit, that had a 4wheel drive chevy half ton, that weighed in at over 5000 pounds, with a 1200 hp, 900ish Lb-ft twin turbo LSX motor that launched in 4wd with drag radials. He had a 4L80E that was built by Finish line transmissions. Never did manage to break it. They have their own special input shafts, google them if you're interested.

spicergear

Billet flywheel, billet converter...etc. Is that 4L80E under $5,000?? A tranny costing twice what a guy paid for truck in some case may be way out of the question-

Point proven though...the thing will stand power! :-D

jblack6527

Billet flywheel, billet converter...etc. Is that 4L80E under $5,000?? A tranny costing twice what a guy paid for truck in some case may be way out of the question-

According to their website, yes, $3495 to be exact. I see your point though. I was just saying that in case anyone was interested.

Lawrence of Arabia

Don't want to be another salesman, but I have a Deuce with a bad motor for sale if your interested. Its a really straight truck if you want to put a motor in it. I can send pics if interested.

mudguppy

that's nothing - go get a quote for a full-tilt dodge auto.......$7k.

SuperJoe

i may be late here but i was wondering why the thought of a small block wouldnt work? i asked questions about the stock motors and got a varied but very close response on power of factory equipment here by our members.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/37039-m35a2-horsepower-question.html

i understand the thoughts of why the transmission needs to be built but if both power and torque of a small block is greater than stock equipment then why would it be hard on the motor to push this truck. i mean no offense here to anyones ideas. i am just curious and under informed about diesels vs gassers

mudguppy

quite simply, a standard automotive gasser doesn't have a duty cycle rating, as it wasn't designed to live in a 13k - 23k lb application. to live in the medium duty world, an engine has to exert at or near max power outputs for a large portion of it's lifetime. basically, the longer that an engine puts out higher power levels is indirectly proportional to it's service life.

a couple examples:
  • marine diesel engines are typically spec'd at various duty cycles: 60, 80, and 100 %. as the duty cycles increase, rated power decreases.
  • further example of above, marine 6bta Cummins peaks at 370hp rating, but may go as low as 210 at the duty cycle increases.
  • when the ford 6.0 powerstroke came out, it was rated at 325hp in the pickups but the vt365 (same engine) used in International medium duty apps was rated at 235hp.
basically, you could get a small block to do it, but as stated before it was drive quite different because of the power band differences - gassers don't have as much "area under the curve" as diesels which represents total power output. and it won't have a high service life before reliability problems or requires a rebuild.

an industrial gasser is designed to live in the MD world - a fair comparison, crack open a 300ci Ford straight 6 and compare the internals and block thickness to the deuce gasser. the deuce gasser will look like a diesel compared to the Ford.

lasly, a big block will help regain some of the area under the curve, but won't be equal to a diesel. also, since it's easier to make the same power with more cubic inches, it was have a longer service life than a small block, but still not as high as a diesel.