• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ENGINE TEMP - How high is too high

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both my 1083 and 998 run pretty hot (205 -220). Both have the 6.5L's and I am wondering what I can do to get the temp down and make those engines last a little longer. Would a ram air intake help maybe?

Videris

Anything over or around 230 I would start to be concerned with. Other than that seems like you're good at temp range you listed.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Appreciate the info gentlemen......plan on traveling a lot in these and (already took the M1083 for a 300+ mile jaunt), and I guess as long at I keep up with the maintenance, I'll be fine.

Both my 1083 and 998 run pretty hot (205 -220). Both have the 6.5L's and I am wondering what I can do to get the temp down and make those engines last a little longer. Would a ram air intake help maybe?
One thing to watch for that I have seen on multiple trucks is out of the blue, I look at the temp gauge after some time of running and it's pegged. I stop the truck, shutdown and start again and the temp is normal.... I cannot figure out a way to reproduce this, it has just happened 3 out of maybe 100 times.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Wire Fox

One thing to watch for that I have seen on multiple trucks is out of the blue, I look at the temp gauge after some time of running and it's pegged. I stop the truck, shutdown and start again and the temp is normal.... I cannot figure out a way to reproduce this, it has just happened 3 out of maybe 100 times.

All of the guages are notoriously inaccurate. If it's a sudden, intermittant failure, you might try checking the wiring connections of all the guages to clean them and apply a nice corrosion and water-resistant dielectric grease to protect it for a while. Otherwise, a nice infrared thermometer being on-hand wouldn't be a bad idea, just to manually check the temperature and confirm what your guages read.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I am looking at my oil pressure and temp every minute. Hasn't happened yet, but I have noticed that these engines are very temperamental....

DatGuyC

I think having an operational and accurate temp gauge is very important. One time I was running mine and randomly looked at the gauge and it was pegged hot. Turns out that the clutch fan relay decided to stop working so the fan wasn't coming on to cool the engine at all. Immediately shut it down and let it cool off a bit and bypassed the relay so the fan stayed on and I could get back home. I put in a new gauge that has a led that lights up when the needle goes into the red zone. Luckly it doesnt seem like there was any damage to the engine but it could have been bad and with the electrical issues with these trucks you just never know when something is gonna fail.

Action

Datguyc, there is a special sender for that newer temp guage. It will work with thd other, but thr temp will not read correctly.