• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine to injection pump timing fuel leak

DRYGULCH57

HELP!! I need some assurance I am doing the right thing. Here is the story so far.
Bought 1967 m35a2 kaiser/jeep getting fuel in the oil, bypassed the fdc.
Drove about 375 miles still making oil.
Pulled fuel shut off rod cover replaced one o-ring on the fuel control assembly.
Getting ready to pull the hydrolic head, but decided to check engine to injection pump timing.
Lined the timing mark on the harmonic balancer to the pointer. Used the last mark when turning engine in a
clockwise direction when viewing from the front of the engine.
Removed the cover for the inspection window to the advance unit hub and the timing mark is way off to the pointer.
(see pics)
To correct this situation please tell me if what I plan on doing is correct, and if there are any steps I need to add or delete.
1. Pull front gaurd off of truck.
2. Remove Radiator.
3. Remove pump drive gear cover.
4. Remove 3 locking cap screws.
5. Remove gear retaining plate.
6. Question: How do I release pump drive gear from the pump drive shaft
enough to rotate the drive shaft to line up the timing mark and pointer
without pulling the entire pump off of the engine.
7. Once gear is released from drive shaft, reinstall retaining plate and install
3 locking cap screws finger tight.
8. Rotate drive shaft clockwise until timing mark and pointer are aligned.
9. Tighten down 3 locking screws.
10. Turn engine crankshaft counterclockwise to bring timing mark off of pointer
located on the engine, then clockwise to realign timing mark and pointer,
then recheck timing mark and pointer in the inspection window.
11. If needed repeat sequence untill timing is correct.

With the injection pump timing being so far off is this limiting the amount of fuel going in to the cylinders giving me poor
top end performance. When going down the road my max. rpm is about 2000 and 40 mph.

Hope I am doing the right thing. I have never worked on diesel engines before and most of my gas
engine work has been done on pre electronic ignitions.

Thank you for any help or additional info you can give me.

Once I get this pump timed right I am going to proceed with pulling the HH and replace the o-rings and
hope that takes care of my fuel in the oil problem.

Attachments

DRYGULCH57

I see people lookin but nobody is answerin. Does that mean the knowledge on this forum is limited. Thought somebody that has had a multifuel for awile might have some experience timing a pump to an engine and could let me know if This is the right proceedure or not. :cry:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see people lookin but nobody is answerin. Does that mean the knowledge on this forum is limited. Thought somebody that has had a multifuel for awile might have some experience timing a pump to an engine and could let me know if This is the right procedure or not. :cry:

I'd bet many looked and did not respond because, we have many times in the recent past(same topic). When we suggest you search, and get flack for not posting in detail, the same thing, over and over, we tend to simply pass over some threads that are repetitive.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/search.php?searchid=1299126

Learning to use the Tech Manuals is one of the best things you can do, if you want to learn to work on your MV. All the TMs are available here on this site.

There is a tremendous wealth of knowledgeable MV owners on this site. Patience and persistence is good.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No no and no. You realy don't need to pull anything off.
If indeed you intake valve just closed and those are the correct marks then you just need to pull the front cover on the face of the motor to get to the three bolts that hold on the gear. There you will loosen the three and hold the center bolt and using the bolt bring it back to time if there is enough slot left. If there is slot left and you can get it dialed in hold center bolt tighten three out side bolts and you done. Call me if you have or need to talk as I rather talk than type. 352-262-0398

Last edited:

DRYGULCH57

Well I have been searching since the 13th of November. But the search feature on this site sucks as far as trying to find specific information and the information I HAVE gotten came from a tech manual. I type in "injection pump to engine timing" what do I get back? whistler turbo vs. non turbo, wheel bearing temps high, do not park in gear, What does this kind of stuff have to do with thiming an injection pump. You all tell people to search but search comes back with this kind of crap no wonder people ask the same question over and over. Even is you do find something related to your problem you still have all of this crap to wade thru then you may or may not find the answer to your question. Now the tech manuals leave a lot to be desired as most of the figure, pictures, drawings, what ever you want to call them are so poor you can't tell what you are looking at any way, so with the exception of the text portion the tm's are a guessing game too.

DRYGULCH57

THANK YOU FLORIDIANSON
For a person that don't like to type you told me exactly what I needed to know. The information about the slots made what I was reading and seeing in the Tech Manuals all click together. Thank you again for your reply. I appreciate it greatly.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
dry, run the engine with the shut off cover off. if the HH rings are leaking it will flow fuel out where the cover goes. if no fuel, remove the booster pump and let it hang on the lines. run the in tank pump and check for fuel leak from shaft seal. don't pay more that $6-7 for a new seal, some places want $30.

tom

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, you just reminded me of one more possible reason...

New guys that bitch before they get used to the site.

I'm pretty sure you could have just read every thread in the Deuce forum in 2 weeks.

Did it ever occur to you to ask how to search more efficiently?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, I just used most of your title, "Engine to injection pump timing"

I did a general search and there were 63 results. The timing marks are shown in one of the first 12 threads.

I did an advanced search in the deuce forum and there were 24 results, your answer with pictures was there too.

Your right, SEARCH does suck.(or maybe it's not the search that sucks in this case).

fwiw, all in less than 10 minutes.

DRYGULCH57

OK DOG BONEor who ever you think you are
thought I could get some constructive help on this site but apparently not with the exception of floridianson. That's alright no more questions no more posts. This BITCH THAT SUCKS (have you looked at yourself in the mirror) will figure it out for himself. This place ain't worth the hassle and high blood pressure.

DRYGULCH57

Typical example pull the booster pump Well WHERE the **** is the BOOSTER PUMP
Sorry M_35 but DOG BITCH GOT my pressure up and safeties are lifting right now.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
James, I think you should undelete your original response, it was more appropriate.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DG, stop using the Search at the top of the page. Try using the search function on the lower left of the page(under the list of who is online).

the text box will do a "general" search(all forums)
Click" advanced search", and you can choose the forum to look in, and other specifics.

ctmustang

DRYGHOST or whoever you think you are or is it DRY PERSONALITY did you not get enough attention as a child or what? Buy some TM,s and start reading them before you start bitching -you can read can't you!

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow kids, calm down. There is no need for blood to boil, had you called, I could have told you my experience and walked you threw it. I am under the weather and quite horse at the moment, but to help someone get their truck running I am willing to try and help. It looks like you got her taken care of, be happy and ignore the post you feel are not helpful. This IS an open forum, sometimes you can't expect to get the exact answers right away.

bigmech

I get a little touchy when I work at something and can't figure it out but this fellow needs some more vitamin "P" (prozac) Dude calm down, we are all on the same side here! You can complain, but without getting personal.