• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engines in the CUCV?

southdave

freakin love fest... you all are drank way to much cool aid lol.. the engine was crappy, IMO the concept was still make gas engine a diesel, based upon foot print eventually a crank rod or bear journal may cut lose prematurely.. the engine is crap shoot
Here my experience..
it took 4 Humvee takeout engine to get enough rods to make one engine, found a crank after 3, and two of blocks had crack webs. they all rebuild dates 2006 & 2007 and green tags

Last edited:

Keith_J

Does every j code 6.2 have cracked webs? I am thinking that might be from unauthorized use of starting fluid.

Soaper

almost every 6.2 has cracked webs down in the mains.
its an common problem and most never notice.
goodwrench and theres one other company that made 6.2L later on and there better blocks and they fixed alot of design issues. however there expensive.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
goodwrench and theres one other company that made 6.2L later on and there better blocks and they fixed alot of design issues. however there expensive.
GM switched to the 6.5L engines and then sold the rights to AM Generals General Engine Products division. They improved the design are still making the 6.5L. Stonepicker1 has the 6.5L Optimizer in his CUCV-II and it is a workhorse.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GM small block gas engines had similar problems but the crack was between the lifter blocks . Lousy engineering and the need to cut weight for fuel standards the cheapened up the blocks to near garbage .

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Sharecropper- Can you dig up the fluidampr part number you used? I was just getting ready to change out my damper in my 009 and noticed your post. I checked but there are several model numbers listed for the 6.2. Dave

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yellow tag means it is good. Green means repairs required. Red is junk (not always ;-) )

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sharecropper- Can you dig up the fluidampr part number you used? I was just getting ready to change out my damper in my 009 and noticed your post. I checked but there are several model numbers listed for the 6.2. Dave
I spoke with a fellow named Ivan Snyder at Fluidampr when I purchased my unit. 716-592-1001. He told me the correct model number for our trucks is "800191, 8" FLUIDAMPR for 1982 - 1987 6.2L GM Diesel".

Hope this helps.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yellow tag means it is good. Green means repairs required. Red is junk (not always ;-) )

It was discovered after pulling the pan number seven rod broke off the piston and punched a window into the water jacket on this "yellow tag 6.5" engine. My friend should have filed a claim with GL as it was listed as good.
After a couple 6.2 engines in my 1008 I went with a gasser.

Yellow Tag .jpg

Tall deck Big Block 009.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks