• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EPARTSMAN's M1009 Build

epartsman

I wanted to share what is happening to my 09 and start its build thread.

My 09 was deployed in the Florida National Guard from 1985 till 2007. It served as a beach patrol unit until 1990 and was left in a storage field subsequently @ 20 k miles where it silently rusted till it was liquidated in 2007 and purchased by a Guardsman who didnt do anything with it gave it to his sister in 2009. She drove it to work a couple of times till the starter went out. Her husband not knowing any better installed a civy starter which of course overloaded the relay, kept running, burnt wires, and took teeth off the ring gear. It was parked and her boys had shot out the quarter glass with BB gun and had broken out the vent window. There it sat untill 10/11 when I bought my rusty beauty with only 23 K miles on her. The chassis was still packed with beach sand and she has alot of cancer.

I trailered her from Orlando to Jax where she got new glass and went straight into the shop. First was to see if the old girl would run and in went 2 optima red tops with snap in trays (military version) starter, some wiring, and flywheel. My diesel tech friend handed me the key and I got in, turned the key, put together the two wires the previous owner cut trying to shut her down, waited for the GP light and WAAAM! It didnt even make one revolution of the starter before it was running smoothly even on the mud that was in the tank. My Buddy shawn was so shocked he started shouting so I immediately shut her down wondering what was wrong. He told me start her back up because he couldn't believe it.​

Attachments

Last edited:

epartsman

Next we took it back apart, did the dog head mod, serviced everything, installed DSG Stud Girdle, new pan gasket, rear main seal, Gear Reduction Starter from DB electrical, New Flywheel, Trans Gasket, Filter, Dexron 3 in the trans and t-case as well as lube guard red additive in both, new gaskets, fluid, high pressure gear additive in the axles, and New oil and fuel filters. Then we went throught the brakes and packed and tightened the bearings. Changed coolant and added Motorcraft VC8 anticavitation corrosion additive.

I am keeping the orig wheels and the Wild Country Mudders that are on it for trail ridin which will be doused in preserver then bagged but I will be putting on a brand new set of Yokohama Geolander ATS 31 10.50 15's mounted on custom bullet hole aluminum rims powdercoated gun metal gray for every day driving (included manufacturer pic of tire).

I am currently installing new locks and a tilt steering column to make it easier for my F/A to get behind the wheel and to keep those who know about the key from joy riding. Tomorrow will be my maiden voyage.

Next will be body and paint work (lotsa rot, holes in floor but none structural needs rockers, tail pan, some metal welded in, and stayin 383 CARC Camo), A/C (already have parts from a civy dsl ), Separate accessory harness and fuse panel, Dash pad, New Seats, etc.

I will keep this going with pics and hope to be at the MV rally 2/3. J.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cucvnut

its ok I gotta finish up a few things and pull the IP and re install the IP it should fire soon. then on to the transmission stuff.

epartsman

Keep it up Cucvnut! I went to put the wheels on today and the black lug nuts I got for it wouldn't fit seems the military and the civy spec are different but my friends at Big Chief are sending me a loner set till they can get the correct black ones for me Monday. These are special powdercoated nuts that are 7pt requiring their own socket.

epartsman

Rim pics will be tonight. I took some with my phone today, lousy quality but will upload when I get home. I am still waiting on my black replacement lugnuts which should be Monday or Tuesday. I have some loner chrome ones on it now.

We decided to do the front brakes with Napa Lifetime Ceramics and when the passenger side hub was pulled to inspect the bearings we found some water intrusion. I Also had another problem with the axles covers, fluid was changed and new gaskets installed however they are thinner than the OE and they leak so those will have to be redone tonight with alot of silicone added which will push my first real drive till tomorrow.

Gonna take her home and embarrass the schmibit out of my teenage daughter when I drop her off at school in it Tuesday Morning. I have already threatened to give it to her as her first vehicle when she gets her license and she tells me she's gonna drive it off a cliff. She does not share her Dad's love for MV's as they don't go well with her Aerpostal and Abercrombie and would clash with her purse. I'm gonna have fun messing with her though!

Last edited:

epartsman

Can you get some pictures of the rims?
Here you go. These were a/m civy machined aluminum bullet hole wheels that I had my good friend Bill Swann @ Wheel Innovations strip and powder coat gunmetal gray. He did the rear centers as well and I will have black lug nuts by Tuesday. I think they look cool and were dirt cheap. I even have 1 extra for the spare. These were taken with my old Moto V9XX cell phone so the quality is not that great.

Attachments

Last edited:

epartsman

Back working on it. Took some pics to show you the extent of the rust which isnt even half of it considering the tailpan is gone and I cannot open the tailgate without one side of it falling and all 4 floor supports/ body mounts need replacing. I had to remove the exhaust as I had no rear brakes. The brake line running stern from amidships has a hole in it. I had to beat off the muffler to be able to access it and I had to buy replacements. Its kind of funny that the originals have the same part number on them as my walker stainless steel replacements. The mufflers were $74.00 each and the tailpipes $31.00 each *Bay with free shipping and no tax not including clamps etc. Advance and Napa Wanted $104.00 each muffler and $39.99 for the pipes plus tax.
Attached are pics of Ole Rusty. My Marine Welder friend wants to patch the body and I already have rockers, 1 quarter patch panel, and a tailpan from Keystone Automotive. I am still trying to find a donor body as my frame and mechanicals are in awesome shape but no luck so far. I wanted a civy body with power and A/C no title needed. I even have a wanted AD in the classifieds. If I dont find one soon it will get welded, patched, and coated with chassis saver.

Attachments

Last edited:

epartsman

After my IP ordeal (see pop went the weasel) I have been driving my 09 on a regular basis. I installed a class 3 hitch that was modified by a buddy of mine to incorporate and strengthen the pintle as I tow an m101a2 and an equipment trailer. I also purchased an 1984 civy version that I am using to do a body swap and incorporate a factory a/c dash. I am still staying with manual windows and it will appear stock on the outside but will have a pair of econoline vinyl buckets that have armrests. Jay remanufactured them to fit my brackets and the civy tilt option on the passenger seat to let my kids in the back easier. I will also enjoy having seats that recline as I am a big boy. I also added a tilt column and int wipers. The 84 floor needed a little work so it is in the process of getting new floor pans and rockers but the damage is not near like mine is so it is being fixed before the swap. My truck has very little floor left and even less in the structural areas. More Pics and details are on the way.

Last edited:
Gonna take her home and embarrass the schmibit out of my teenage daughter when I drop her off at school in it Tuesday Morning. I have already threatened to give it to her as her first vehicle when she gets her license and she tells me she's gonna drive it off a cliff. She does not share her Dad's love for MV's as they don't go well with her Aerpostal and Abercrombie and would clash with her purse. I'm gonna have fun messing with her though!
Same here with my teen daughter, the only one that shares my love are my sons. Both the wife and daughter hate em. When I get my 5-Ton home, I'm going to "honk" on the train horn when I'm pulling in... she's going to love that, I'm going to make sure to mount my GoPro cameras to catch the moment :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks