• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Epic road trip

JonMolander

Good evening, everyone. I'm not sure which section is most appropriate for this. Just wanted to mention that me and a couple buddies from back home in Indiana are about to embark on an epic road trip with two deuces and my Duramax Chevy. I'm moving from Minot AFB in North Dakota to Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, OH. We leave this Sunday (16 Aug) with a stopover at a friend's house near Peoria, IL to pick up my second deuce. I just wanted a warm fuzzy to know if anyone would be along the route in case I had a breakdown. I'm doing my route planning now. The only thing that kinda sucks is one of my buddies has to be back to work in Indianapolis by Wednesday, the 19th. So as much as I'd love to hit up everyone along the route, we have to highball most of it.

This is what I have so far:

Day 1 (16 Aug):
Leave Minot Sunday afternoon once friends arrive on train.
Dinner with MV Club friends in Devil's Lake, ND
Grand Forks
Fargo
Minneapolis - probably hotel

Day 2 (17 Aug):
La Crosse, WI - try to link up with Neil for chow
Madison
Low Point, IL - stay the night, pick up second deuce/jeep/M116

Day 3 (18 Aug):
Terre Haute, IN - drop off first deuce/M105 to be picked up following weekend
Indianapolis - drop off buddies with second deuce/jeep/M116 to be picked up by my brother later
Dayton, OH - arrive on 19th with Chevy/gooseneck

Holy smokes this is going to be fun. Lots of slow driving. Hopefully no issues, but I am packing every tool I own (along with literally everything else I own). Be sure to wave as I go by!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a safe trip. Enjoy WPAFB. We have a strong contingent in Dayton/Fairborn for sure.

JonMolander

Can't wait to meet the local club! I've already been in contact with a couple members. Apparently one of the professors at AFIT is an MVer as well. I've seen an M38 in the parking lot there before but haven't met the guy.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been waiting for an update. :)

We will be waiting and have a safe trip.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Avoid Chicago, that's a crazy place to drive and even worse in a MV. We took a convoy through there going to and coming from Ft McCoy. Last time we did that.

We did 1505 miles going from ATL to ELP. Did ELP to Aberdeen. Aberdeen to ATL and then ATL to ELP again.

The trucks CAN definitely do the distance.

JonMolander

I will never go through Chicago again. Cost me $40 in tolls with my gooseneck a few years ago. Ever since then, I shoot south through Rockford. My buddy from college, now an engineer for Caterpillar, lives near Peoria. His place is a great stopping point for the many journeys I've made back and forth from Minot to home in southern Indiana. Can't wait to not have to drive it again.

Also, I've got an IBC container filled with filtered WMO that's ready for the trip. I've got a 12v transfer pump, a marine battery, and some 2" hose. So I'm hoping to spend less than $600 on fuel for the whole trip! That's two deuces and a duramax. Think I can do it?!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's interesting, my surrogate son-in-law is an engineer for Cat and lives just outside Peoria. His first name is Steve.

When Gimpy took his Deuce to the GA Rally his IBC had fuel in it but with a hose on the bottom outlet and I fueled up the truck when we stopped with gravity.

Like he said in his PM you can get hold of either of us.

Welcome to Wright-Patterson AFB. I think you will find the winter here a lot milder than Minot, ND. I was born here so it's home to me. I chose to come back to Dayton when I retired from Civil Service and so far I have no complaints.

I echo the other fellows who advise against going around Chicago. I did it in an M882 five years ago and it was not fun or cheap. You probably have already planned your route but I have found I-39 which you can pick up around Madison, WI to I-74 at Champaign, IL and from there to I-70 around Indianapolis. IN is pretty fast and not too heavily traveled. I used this route when I went up to Iola, WI for the grand military show and gun extravaganza. Very easy on the nerves. The only toll you incur is in Illinois around Rockford as I-39 follows I-90's route as well for 15 miles, but the fee for a car/truck is not bad - only $1.90.

Stay safe and we'll see you soon.

cobra5

Your on official orders so any tolls paid can be claimed on your travel voucher. (Sarcasm Removed) However, I was born and raised in Chicago. I left there when I was 21 for the military and never looked back. I agree with others that if you can avoid the area you'd be better off.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your on official orders so any tolls paid can be claimed on your travel voucher. Otherwise stop at a rest stop before you hit the toll roads and remove your plates. You can show them your ID and orders, they wouldn't know the difference and most likely waive you through. However, I was born and raised in Chicago. I left there when I was 21 for the military and never looked back. I agree with others that if you can avoid the area you'd be better off.

Sir,
With all due respect, ILLEGAL ACTIVITY or the SUGGESTION TO COMMIT ILLEGAL ACTIVITY is not what this website is known for nor is it tolerated by the owner or his moderator team. Please refrain from such suggestions in the future.
Thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks