• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EQUIPMENT NOISE LEVELS

Hoosier

I just ran across this information on the web and thought some might be interested. Elsewhere on their site they state:

"Researchers have determined that individuals exposed to steady state sound levels of 85dB(A) for an 8 hour period or longer are in danger of losing their hearing."

Here is the link for all the equipment ratings.

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/hcp/NoiseLevels.aspx

rmgill

HEadphones for long drives. My muffler helps as well.

Lowes carries some rolls of sound/heat insulation in very nice compact rolls that aren't very large. I'm going to try adding some of those to the floor/back wall of the truck for additional insulation at least between frame rails of the back of the cab.

bottleworks

Re: RE: EQUIPMENT NOISE LEVELS

rmgill said:
Lowes carries some rolls of sound/heat insulation in very nice compact rolls that aren't very large.
What section is it in? Do you know what the product is called?

m3a1_ht

RE: Re: RE: EQUIPMENT NOISE LEVELS

I work in the noise control area - for locomotives and construction equipment mostly. The OP is right, interior noise levels are serious business. I find that ear defenders (ear muff hearing protectors) get in the way too much but that is my opinion only. ANR headphones aren't a bad choice. The Bose ones are *way* too expensive but you can get Sony's for $25 on closeout. For passive sound matting, a lot of people use Dynamat.

HTH,
Dan

Katch1

been thinking on the mil. intercom set, what kind of db reduction would I be looking at with that set-up?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

don't klnow the dB but it is a very great improvement against the noise.

Towman2277

It must be the diesel truck models that are very loud, as my gasser isn't loud nearly like my friends 5-ton with Multi-fuel. :cookoo:

rmgill

Re: RE: EQUIPMENT NOISE LEVELS

bottleworks said:
rmgill said:
Lowes carries some rolls of sound/heat insulation in very nice compact rolls that aren't very large.
What section is it in? Do you know what the product is called?
It was in the insulation area. Near the ladders, your own store's milage may vary. Foil with air filled space in between. Should help for noise and temperature. Heavier foam would probably be better for noise though. Hmm, Mcmaster Carr carries some big rolls of foam too.

Hoosier

I'm sort of in the design phase but I'm looking at a set of aircraft headsets. They give you in cab intercom, radio transmission (CB, handheld, etc.), and music over headset and protect your hearing. The David Clark is the same headset you see in fire trucks but boy are they expensive. AVCOMM is much cheaper and offers some of the same options. Here are some manufacturers if anyone is interested:

ANR Headsets
Aircraft Spruce
Avcomm
Bose
David Clark
Flightcom
Flightline
Lightspeed
Lightweight
Oregon Aero
Peltor
Pilot Avionics
Plantronics
Sennheiser
Sigtronics
Softcom
Telex

Rick

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That's why so many old soldiers are hard of hearing.
When I came in the Army in 72 hearing protection was not even required on the firing range.
I drove thousands of miles in deuces, 5-tons, 915/916's and other military vehicles and I now suffer from high frequency hearing loss. If there is a background noise such as a fan or motor running I can't hear squat.
When I got out of the active Army in 95 I was awarded 10% disability based on my service years (72-76, 84-95). I was told by a VA doc that anybody that served before a certain date automatically qualifies for 10% since hearing protection was not required before that date.
If I were not in the Reserves I would receive about 110.00 a month. That's almost a tank of gas. :lol:
It's never too late to file a claim if you have a DD 214 that reflects your service and what job you held (combat arms guys are more likely to get disablity than admin folks).
If you served you are entittled to this, it is not charity or welfare. [thumbzup]

No.2Diesel

I always squish and shove ear plugs in my ears for all trips except if just around town. I fly with my friend so much that I finally bought a David Clark headset a year ago after having to put up with his hand-me-down headset that you would see in a B-17! The DC set is rated for 23db and is very comfortable. It was worth it. The little Archer's Continental is but a whisper.

I remember seeing a post a while ago from someone who had bought some mil electronics and setup their own on-board communications. What would be needed to re-create this. That would be great for long trips. I don't think Po Po would like it though. What are the rules regarding headphones while driving?

I love peoples reactions to the sights & sounds of the Deuce. One day while returning home there was a hot MILF jogging on my side of the road approaching me from a ways off. I needed speed to get up the steep hill (the type of hill where you have to stay in 4th.) The boost & thunder was building. She stopped jogging and stepped just off the road as I came within about 200ft. of her. The road was narrow and there was an old wire fence with locust posts preventing her from escaping sensory assault. She was standing near the crest of the hill, bearing the full brunt my internal cumbustion waste. The look on her face was of absolute disgust, scrunching up like she was sucking on a lemon. She fell onto the rusty fence in her nice white running apparel. It was great. I wasn't even trying to run her off the road; I was straight as an arrow. The incident was similar to that picture in Hot Road magazine from the late sixties where a crewmember was totally blasted away from the nitromethane coming out of the dragster's zoomies.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've installed VIC-1 intercoms in my trucks and they work pretty good. The headphones aren't too comfy though. The Peltor name is known in the hearing protection industry. I have a pair of Peltor Powercom headsets. Basically noise reducing headsets with a FRS radio biult in. They have a low power setting that we use. You can buy cords to pipe in music, cell phone or another 2 way radio into it. Not only are they great for communication going down the road, you can use them from truck to truck and with a ground giude. I can talk to my wife on a regular talkabout too. Works great.

rmgill

Insofar as headsets for protection or communication, they're legal. Intercoms on bikes, fire trucks etc are all normal and expected. So's earplugs or similar for noise protection.

houdel

I installed a Car Chemistry collector insert in my top stack. These things are designed to be placed in the collector pipes of dragsters to reduce the exhaust noise level. I found it reduced my exhaust level to about 90 Dba at WOT going uphill at 55 mph true ground speed (and that with a "C" turbo).

They also have options to add restrictors and stainless steel stuffing to further reduce the sound output. I haven't had the time to experiment with the restrictors or stuffing yet. They do have a 3-1/2 insert, but took a little manipulation to get the insert in my top stack, but the nice thing is it a totally "stealth" installation, you cannot tell it is there except for the three screws holding it in place inside the stack. As you can see from my avatar, it is essentially unnoticeable, unlike many external muffler systems.

I used a Radio Shack sound pressure meter to measure the sound reduction. I have NOT installed a back pressure gauge to see if my back pressure has been affected, but the manufacturer CLAIMS a reduction in back pressure (with the standard installation) due to the way the insert is ported.

For more info see http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...goryId=13783&parentCategoryId=10265&langId=-1

The 3-1/2 insert is about $57.

Interestingly, the background noise in my Deuce (i.e., a downhill coast at 55 MPH in neutral with the engine idling, is still in the 80 Dba range, so some interior soundproofing is also needed to get the cabin sound levels down to an acceptable level.

alphadeltaromeo

I was given a pair of Sennheiser headphones for use with the MP3 this Christmas. I was amazed at the ability of the noise reduction. I tried it in my house...with all my children, so you know it's gotta work well *grin* - I think that the spec is 35db though, so good, but not incredible. [thumbzup]

littlebob

I will look at the cost of doing an aircraft system on mine once I get it on the road. Most aircraft use the same voltage , so many aircraft accessoris should be compatible. The downside , anything approved for acraft use is expensive. I've looked in the Aircraftspruce catalog and seen things that are available for homebuilts that may be an option. I ran across them looking for another hobby I couldn't afford a few years back. they offer a catalog for free that is a lot easier to use than the website
for people that want to browse. They also have sound deadening materials and other stuff that I will probably need on my project.
littlebob

No.2Diesel

If you look in Jeg's or Summit they sell their own brand of sound deadening in wide rolls that are approx. 7/16" THK. They also sell Dynamat sheets that are much thinner and have an adhesive backing, but cost increases.