• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Equipment's last deployment is to the bottom of the ocean

Wrench Wench

They only want to deal with metal recyclers and the recyclers don't want to deal with the hulls. They don't want to sell them through GL/GSA/GD, so... Helloooooo environmentalists!

Thing I'm noting is... 45 feet of water. You can almost see down that far. SCUBA would be trivial. What would it take for a boat to go out there, find a good hulk that's freshly depositted, attach lift bags, and then tow it in while still submerged a few feet under the surface until a tractor on land can winch it back into its own element.

It's gutted and cleaned, so at that point, it would just be a matter of cleaning all the salt off of it and then repainting the GUTTED AND CLEANED hull to prevent rust. Rewire and repower with off the shelf and fabbed parts and you've got a great toy that you can never tell anyone about ever.

How hard would it be to torch out the serial numbers?

nk14zp

They only want to deal with metal recyclers and the recyclers don't want to deal with the hulls. They don't want to sell them through GL/GSA/GD, so... Helloooooo environmentalists!

Thing I'm noting is... 45 feet of water. You can almost see down that far. SCUBA would be trivial. What would it take for a boat to go out there, find a good hulk that's freshly depositted, attach lift bags, and then tow it in while still submerged a few feet under the surface until a tractor on land can winch it back into its own element.

It's gutted and cleaned, so at that point, it would just be a matter of cleaning all the salt off of it and then repainting the GUTTED AND CLEANED hull to prevent rust. Rewire and repower with off the shelf and fabbed parts and you've got a great toy that you can never tell anyone about ever.

How hard would it be to torch out the serial numbers?
HHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMM I like your thinking.

FrankUSMC

What is a bigger shame is the very historic ship the USS Olympia, might be joining them. They need alot of money to save her, a very lot of money, and one of the ways they are looking at is sinking her off the Jersey coast.
This is the ship that led the charge in the Phillipines and sunk the Spanish fleet.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I like the idea also but I seem to recall there was a thread concerning a similar subject last year. The issue becomes obtaining a salvage permit or something like that.

I guess the flip side of this is (no pun intended) is if some of them flipped as they say, then the tracks and roadwheels should be easy pickings but again, you would need the lift bags and recovery stuff anyway.

ohnuts

So we go take them from a Mexican reef. Like he man said tow it back under the surface. Wala catch of the day.:jumpin: Little boat day trip and scuba tanks. So you drop it and have to make three trips.

Last edited:

Elwenil

Agreed. Nothing comes for free and frankly I'm ashamed to see this sort of thing posted here at SteelSoldiers. You people should know better.

Wrench Wench

But at 45 feet, I'd seriously like to dive one that happens to be upright and find where the driver's seat was, sit there, and make BRRRRRRR noises with my mouth. Wait... I might drown.