• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Era of affordable MEPs over?

Rebel635

Seems GL has gone full retard. Im not gonna name listings, but a few 802s now have biddings well above what they habe been going for average and still it says "reserve not met"!! Couple that with the bump in buyers premium and it lloks as if GLs way to help slumping sales is to nosedive the plane harder into the ground.

Korgoth1

The new (80x) units are fetching a higher price because the acoustic enclosure, wealthier suburban folk have entered the market here. And even with the backwoods people like me, quieter is more desirable...

Rebel635

Im specifically talking of 802s vs 802s. Ive bought 802s with less than 200 hours in excellent shape for as low as $800. Ive bought 9 mep-802s in the last year and never paid more than $1200.

And they arent "fetching" higher prices. Their reserves are ser at stratospheric levels. Id be surprised if any currently veing auctioned actually sell.

Set the reserve so high abd its no longed a bidding process but a "buy it now", with one guy willing to pay that $$

Last edited:

Isaac-1

In addition to the insane reserve level it seems the supply is drying up, at least in my region. Not that long ago it was common to see batches of 10, 20 and sometimes even 30 generators at a time being sold from multiple GL sites within a couple of hundred miles of here, 3 or 4 times per year. Now it seems to be 1, 2 or sometimes 3 listed at a time and not as often as they once were.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Even the folks working the GL sites hate the reserve prices, because sh!t isn't selling and they have to keep dealing with it.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I saw the same thing happening with all the MEP-8xx units. About a month ago approx. 40 units were online and I believe only 4 units passed reserve.

The other problem is condition. No idea about being a runner, all fluids drained, no batteries, most were wet stacked, and they want a higher 12.5% premium now too.

EPIC FAIL! :cookoo:

The older posting was NOV 2, 2015 http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?146517-Nov-2-2015-state-of-genset-sales

Last edited:

Plane Fast

I have noticed that the reserve price does not stick in the last 20 mins. They will lower it to your bid. (Most of the time)
But be careful, the max bid you submit. Will be your bid in a reserve auction.(auto bid does not seem to work)

Rebel635

Thats idiotic...So i have to bid, not hit reserve, and hope that some button pusher deems my bid close enough to some magic number so he can bestow me the winning auction?

What if i'm planning on picking up multiples? Its an 8 hour drive one way for me. I dont wanna make that for one genny. I need to know i won x number of units, not hope and pray...

Just wanted to add. There's a woodlands camo in NY, at $1500 with reserve not met that i wouldnt pay more than $500. Thing is leaking oil and tar out of every exhaust orifice. Talk about a wet stacked unit....

I have noticed that the reserve price does not stick in the last 20 mins. They will lower it to your bid. (Most of the time)
But be careful, the max bid you submit. Will be your bid in a reserve auction.(auto bid does not seem to work)

Last edited:

Plane Fast

I don't work for them, I just play their game! I would suggest just bidding what you think they are worth. Then just let it ride.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
They are putting reserves in the hope of driving up the bid. Im pretty sure the gov contract requires the items to be sold to the highest bidder at public auction. So at the end if they sell to the highest bidder technically they are still in line with the requirements. But they don't always do that I was high bidder on a reserve lot and they would not sell it to me I got into an argument with gl they told me in writing that they didn't have any such requirement which is a lie.

rustystud

At least you guys get a chance to bid on them ! Out here in the Northwest they are sending all the generators back east. I was at Fort Lewis a while back. They had some really nice MEP-802's . I asked when they would be coming up for auction. The manager said all the MEPS's where going back east because they where getting better prices out of them.

Chrispyny

Thats idiotic...So i have to bid, not hit reserve, and hope that some button pusher deems my bid close enough to some magic number so he can bestow me the winning auction?

What if i'm planning on picking up multiples? Its an 8 hour drive one way for me. I dont wanna make that for one genny. I need to know i won x number of units, not hope and pray...

Just wanted to add. There's a woodlands camo in NY, at $1500 with reserve not met that i wouldnt pay more than $500. Thing is leaking oil and tar out of every exhaust orifice. Talk about a wet stacked unit....
Sweet lord did you hit the nail on the head with this comment. I was following the 802 you are referring to. I just checked what it ultimately went for.
$3,488!!!!!
For heavens sake! I mean i just picked up my woodland 802 with 24 hours on a m116a3 which is like new for $1,600! And someone actually bid three and a half thousand for that one!!! I'm FLABBERGHASTED!
I honestly think govliq bidders have gone off the deep end!

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its like any other market. Bigger sharks move in and the smaller sharks move out. I would like to see prices lower here in the southeast but realistically I don't think its going to happen anytime soon.

rustystud

If any of you guys watch the "prepper" movement you would know "GL" is actively advertising on those sites to bring in more people. I have seen a ton of new articles extolling the virtues of military generators for the Zombie Apocalypse. So not only must you compete with other military collectors and the usual military venders but you also must compete with the new "preppers" .

Rebel635

Again. I dont have an issue with people bidding against each other and setting a price point. Thats how it works. But when the reserve set it so high that out of 30 generators, less than 10 actually sell. Thats a problem.

tbearatkin

They are putting reserves in the hope of driving up the bid. Im pretty sure the gov contract requires the items to be sold to the highest bidder at public auction. So at the end if they sell to the highest bidder technically they are still in line with the requirements. But they don't always do that I was high bidder on a reserve lot and they would not sell it to me I got into an argument with gl they told me in writing that they didn't have any such requirement which is a lie.
If you feel that they are not abiding by their contract with the Government you can ask the Government to provide you a copy of it under the Freedom of Information Act. Also each Contract has a COR (Contraction Officer Representative) ask them what the contact number/email is of the COR.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks