• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ether Start Kit on Ebay

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
There go's my cover! LOL, Just kidding, been trying to get one of these for a little while. Last I talked to the seller he had a few of them but only lists them 1 at a time for good reason. If someone needs it more than me please dont hesitate to bid, I live in Southern California so I have yet to have a problem starting my truck in the cold.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Are these actually better then the flame starter? Also is it easy to get the ether tank refilled?

houdel

I can't answer if the ether start or flame heater is better. I suspect the ether start is newer and replaces the flame heater, but somehow my gut tells me the flame heater is better AS LONG as it is working properly. Someone else with more knowledge that I please chime in and set us straight.

As far as filling the tank is concerned, they are disposable cylinders, like the older tall, narrow disposable propane cylinders (and in fact look exactly like one). My local auto parts store can get them for about $24/cylinder. I don't know how long a cylinder lasts, I'd suspect a fairly long time. My truck came with the ether start, but some monkey must have screwed it in with a Robo tool because I can't get it off by hand and haven't had the time to attack it with wrenches to get it off yet.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The ether bottle is a consumable item - and you need to remember to replace it when it runs out.

The flame heater on the other hand - if you run out of fuel for the flame heater, you have bigger issues to deal with!

Regards,
David

jwaller

last time this guy sold them they went for about 225 if I remember. I was the second bidder at 199 and I was offered it at that price and turned him down on a second chance. I just dont think it's worth 199.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drawback with the flame heater is that it consumes oxygen when used. Ether is simpler and more effective IMHO. $200 that's nuts!
There is an MVM article on this.

With good warm batteries you should be able to start the multi down to zero deg F without any starting aids. I have a heating pad under my batts and it helps a lot for fast revving in the cold. Got it from Polverone (Gary), IIRC.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Jed knows where to buy these direct from the vendor and I could have sworn he said it was cheaper than $199-225.

Armada

The kit the above ebay seller is offering operates by pulling / pushing a 'choke' cable. PITA, and too much ether injected can cause serious problems. My .02.
The one you guys want is the electric solenoid operated type. Thats the only kind I've ever seen on an M35. It is a much more precise way to inject the ether. It also works in conjuction with a coolant temp sensor and will not allow the injection solenoid to operate after a certain temp. Just a quick push of a spring loaded switch on the dash is all the multi needs. They just need a hint of ether to fire in the coldest temps.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The coolant sensor switches at 20°F. Yeah, the solenoid operated one for sure, it injects a metered amount of ether. Remember, do this ONLY while cranking.

ida34

I have the ether injection and it actually came with a bottle from the military. The is a place for the spare under the hood near the driver's side headlight. I have wanted to get one to keep as a spare but have yet to find one available locally.

Lee,
What store did you got to that had them?

I have not been to motivated to get one because even when the weather was in the teens the thing started before I could hold the switch and release. When cold it chugs until all the cylinders start to fire and I figure useing the ether would help the cylinders all fire sooner. As long as I don't have to crank it for more than 10 seconds I just let it crank and start. I doubt I have ever needed to crank it more than 5 seconds to start it in the winter. When it is really cold it will stall immediately then I crank again and she fires up and chugs until all the cylinders start firing.

ida34

Like Bjorn, I thought it was only while cranking. Are your instructions printed from a kit or are you talking about the dash placard?

m38inmaine

I just got my kit from quick start yesterday. It comes complete with all parts needed and even includes items to plug off the old flame heater items. I talked with the rep at Quick Start about the kit, she said they supplied them to the government several years ago. The kit is designed to replace the flame heater. The bottle said it was good for 180-300 shots depending on the dose your particular kit provided. I have the part number of the kit at home, it was around $180 delivered, the either bottle does not come with the kit you must ask for it, and the reason the price is a little high is that there is a hazmat fee because of the cylinder, I belive an extra $20 above the freight. You use your original flame heater switch but install a new data plate which comes in the kit, and it says to use while cranking only.

houdel

Chuck - My kit resembles yours, the ether start package is mounted on the firewall and I have another bracket on the rad support to hold a spare cylinder. However, my modus operendi is what red devils dude stated. See my dash plate in the photo. Of course, the dash plate is not entirely clear in its instructions, it says "ACTUATE SWITCH DURING CRANKING". Does that mean I crank during the 3 second charge cycle AND the 6 second discharge cycle, or only during the 6 second discharge? It would seem more logical to crank only while discharging, yet the switch is clearly marked "ACTUATE", which is the 3 second charge cycle.

My local "Parts Plus" auto parts store can order the cylinders from their warehouse and it is shipped via their truck, so there is no hazmat shipping fee. The only problem is there are 4 variants of the cylinder, a 13 oz cylinder, a 16 oz cylinder, and either can be had in a 7/8" or 1" thread size. Until I get my old one off I don't know which size is correct.

Also don't know if it is factual or heresay, but I have seen posts by other members that ether start trucks develop an addiction for ether, although I have not had a problem starting my Deuce in 15F temperatures, the coldest it has been since I got it.

Attachments

Armada

Does the Quickstart company that sells the kit sell just the ether bottle by itself,and if so, does anyone know for how much? (I haven't checked their site yet). My bottle has been on for about 3 years now and will run out one of these days. I'd like to get a replacement to have on hand.
I think the ether injection set-up is a good investment for the cold climate dueces, and will pay for itself eventually by saving wear and tear on the starter, batteries, etc.
I just flick the switch once while cranking and the motor will almost immediately come to life, unlike what the dataplate instructions say about holding the switch open for 3 seconds and waiting. Your mileage may vary.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks