• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ETS DITY Move with M932 Fort Benning, GA. to Oregon

unoriginal

What a strange turn of events.

I just bought my M925A2 a month ago. This is my first MV ever. Wednesday I got the word my ETP for ADOS orders will not get approved at NGB this year. After 15 years of Active Federal Service in the Marine Corps. and Army National Guard, I will be unemployed at the end of this FY. Wow!!!!

Why Oregon? Well my dad lives there, I have a house in Salem, (that I just put up for sale), and my dad has two spare bedrooms until I figure out the next step. Plus ample storage for all of my stuff, so I can travel light for the next several years.

So my M925 has a rebuild date of July 2010. I think a fifth wheel and some extra oil should do the trick. It seems to be a very sound truck.

Trust me, I have been pouring through the TM to learn as much as possible for this adventure of a lifetime.

We will be breaking into two movements. My wife will be taking the old F250, which I have done a lot of work to over the years, (scary to think about relying on my novice moderate mechanical skills), with a horse trailer in a few weeks. She will be taking her horse, two dogs, two cats, and our teenage son ahead IOT secure a job before mine is gone. Very nervous about this. She is a trooper though. She actually drove this same load here when we did a partial DITY from Oregon over here three years ago.

My recently self/unemployed uncle will be flying out to help pack and load the 53' dry van trailer I will be purchasing soon. He will also help me with the retrograde back to Oregon.

I could certainly use several contacts along the way in case of emergency, or just a need for someone to share a beer with when the road gets tiresome.

Is this plan entirely crazy??? I think if there was ever a crowd that would appreciate my point of view I would think the SS crowd would. I am open to any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Sean
(762) 822-3671

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Crazy? I think not.......with the cost of fuel you prob won't make any money on the deal but you might break even. And you'll still have the truck and trailer. Sounds like the adventure of a lifetime. Go for what you know and good luck.

droprat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your passing thru southern New Mexico let me know!!! Located in Dona Ana, NM where (I-25 & I-10 MEET)about 35 miles north of El Paso, TX.

Rich

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Not crazy at all as long as you make sure you are transporting max weight. I've known at least one other person that did the very exact same thing you are planning to do and made a lot of money doing it. My only specific concern for you is to ensure you have a CDL and insurance.

unoriginal

Anyone have experience pulling a dry van on a converter gear? I see pup trailers on con gear all the time. Would a 53' dry van be much worse than one of those 28 trailers?

This way I could refrain from bastardizing my M925 and be able to retain my bed for extra junk.
My pintle hitch is rated at 30 or 33k. This would be close be still safe I believe.

Thoughts from the adventurous crowd?

unoriginal

droprat,

400 miles and 4 hours extra. May be worth it to have a reliable rally point out there though. I may have to wave off if my co-driver sticks to his request to visit an old friend in Utah.

Will let you know.

Thanks.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joint travel regs changed in May of this year. Rates went down yet again so be sure you haul the maximum weight you are allowed so your payout is as much as possible.

I still need to file for a PCS I just completed this month, but I barely broke even two years ago, and transportation told me rates went down. Hopefully it's still worthwhile to do a DITY.

I am located in San Antonio, TX if you head through this way. Always willing to lend a helping hand. I did a DITY move here last year with my wife, a 26ft Penske truck and my M109 pulling an m105. My max allowed weight was 11,000 and as usual we topped out at 25,000. ( we always make a good chunk of change even using two trucks and a car to move) I have done many DITYs with my truck, if you have any questions or concerns PM me.

Wolfen

I live in Woodburn Oregon which is about 20 Miles North of Salem. I would welcome Visitors. I Retired from the Military last November after 23 years. I have noticed that the Army Guard in Salem and Woodburn are looking for people. You should talk to a Recruiter. It would be a shame to lose out on your Pension after all those years of service.

unoriginal

Well airborne, the southern route is looking better now with you and droprat on the way.

Do you guys both have ample parking and extra couches for the night? I don't drink much, but will gladly crack a couple with like minded individuals.

Last edited:

unoriginal

wolfen,

I was an Army Guard recruiter in Salem for 5 years. I still know half of them. Ironic that you would mention this. BTW, I am still in the Oregon Army National Guard. I can assure you, I have everyone I know trying to work drug deals right now; Litterally...well, counter-drug deals.

Wolfen

I'm glad you're Working your Contacts unoriginal. My offer for Visitors still stands after you arrive in Salem. I have a WC54 that I have been Working on.

Wolfen

Sounds good. If your Friends in the Guard know of any Jobs in the Logistics Field for civillians I would be interested. I have been unable to find a full time Job since I Retired.

unoriginal

Still looking at the potential to drive the Northern route

Any potential rally points in the following;

Alabama
Tennessee
Western Kentucky
South Illinois
Misouri
Kansas
NE Colorado
South Wyoming
North Utah