• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ETS DITY Move with M932 Fort Benning, GA. to Oregon

M1075

I would like the idea a lot better if you had a M931 or M932 tractor, instead of the cargo and dolly converter. Then again, I think a M915A1 is the only truck I would move a 53' full of stuff with for thousands of miles.

unoriginal

M1075,

Agreed! Have 925 must make do.

Has anyone ever run a longer trailer, (or know someone who has), on a dolly before?

Those pup trailers seem to bobble quite a bit, but that is a short trailer coasting around behind a longer trailer. How much would a single full length trailer bobble on a dolly right to the tractor?

Any ideas? I would really like to maintain my truck as is, but not at the cost of putting it all on it's top in the middle on nowhere!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The southern route, then up the middle of Cali. going north will be a lot easier than going through the Rockies further north. I've done the I-20 - I-10 route out to the left coast. Worst hills were the ones going over from the Imperial Valley into San Diego (4250 feet climb to the top).

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I guess we're all assuming your home of record for you current duty was Oregon, and your orders authorize PCS to your duty and authorizing full weight etc, etc, etc.

October could be rough weather in the northern route. I concur with Mike. The only exception is to ensure you have everything straight legally before entering kalifornication.

I also would consider a different trailer. Using a converto dolly.....do you really need that much cube? I personally would palletize and crate as much as possible and use a 1061 trailer.

unoriginal

Fifth wheel advice

We are getting ready to pull the bed. Should I look at just running a 931 fifth wheel or a lower civilian fifth wheel? What about getting a 931 fifth wheel and buying lower stands? Are there any real handling benefits to being lower? Do I run a risk of not having enough range of motion running a lower fifth wheel on a truck this tall? I have never drove a tractor/trailer this tall before.

Last edited:

M1075

How tall is your trailer from the kingpin to the top? If it is a high-cube van, you might run into height issues with either type of 5th wheel on a M925A2 with 14R20 tires.

Last edited:

M1075

I still think you will be much better off to sell/trade the M925A2 for a M915A1 or even a commercial road tractor. If you plan to resell the trailer, do the same with a truck. Might even be easier to sell as a combo if you go with a civilian truck. Get one with a sleeper and you might just save all kinds of money, headache & hassle. FWIW

unoriginal

Concur!!

I still think you will be much better off to sell/trade the M925A2 for a M915A1 or even a commercial road tractor. If you plan to resell the trailer, do the same with a truck. Might even be easier to sell as a combo if you go with a civilian truck. Get one with a sleeper and you might just save all kinds of money, headache & hassle. FWIW

I agree, however I just got the word last Wednesday, and I will be SPing on SEP 4th en route for Oregon. The timeline is getting tighter by the day. I am running out of options. I don't want to give my M925 away.

Last edited:

M1075

Okay, it sounds like you have your mind set to do it. I wish you the best of luck in your journey/adventure. If you need any help near Oklahoma City, let me know.

Well airborne, the southern route is looking better now with you and droprat on the way.

Do you guys both have ample parking and extra couches for the night? I don't drink much, but will gladly crack a couple with like minded individuals.
There is plenty of parking here on FT. Sam Houston, and we have a a few couchesor even some cots if you prefer ;).

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
IMG_2873.jpg
Anyone have experience pulling a dry van on a converter gear? I see pup trailers on con gear all the time. Would a 53' dry van be much worse than one of those 28 trailers?
Several members on here have done something similar. Maybe some of the search gurus can pull them up. I pulled my 34 foot van trailer with my M927 to the GA Rally last year and I was 72 feet long. I don't remember how long a M925 is but you might be over length pulling a 53 footer on the 5th wheel. You will definitely be over with a dolly. As for pulling that long a trailer with a converter dolly it can be done but you will be passing through a lot of major metropolitan areas loaded with idiot drivers. The last thing you need is some distracted driver spilling his latte and running up under the trailer. You will not have a hand valve on the M925 to put air on the trailer if you need to use the trailer brakes to hold back the trailer under certain conditions. You will also not be able to back it up over a few feet without getting jackknifed since there are two pivot points. You have to adjust the trailer brakes to where they will engage slightly before the truck brakes do (anyone that pulls double or triple pup trailers knows what I mean). This uses the trailer brakes stopping power instead of the trailer pushing the truck before the truck brakes tighten up (if that makes sense). You might also consider this......that rig is going to attract the attention of any DOT guy or LEO that is qualified to do DOT inspections. You are also going to be a toad in the road on even a moderate hill, it's just the nature of the beast. My average speed with the trailer was around 45 miles an hour with occasional bursts to 60 on a downhill run. These are not road trucks, they are tactical vehicles that can be operated on improved roads (not talking down to you, just informing other readers). I concur with some of the other posters that a M915 would be the optimum MV to pull a 53 civy trailer. The next best thing would be a civilian tractor (daycab or sleeper) and sell it on the other end but I understand you are working with what you have. Good luck and be safe.

ABN173

I just made a DITY move from FT Lewis, WA to FT Rucker(TDY) then to my final location of FT Bragg, NC. I was using my M35A2 and towing my M1008. No issues for my journey/adventure and I hope yours goes just as well! Oh look up the PNW (Pacific Northwest) group once you get up there. AaronW host an annual rally in Napavine WA. -Dale http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-Move-to-FT-Lewis-WA-to-FT-Bragg-NC&highlight=

Last edited:

ABN173

CAMO/Papabear

If you have not done so already, suggest you link-up with Papabear at his "compound" (aka Columbus Towing) great guys over there that can help you give the truck a good once over before the trip, also lots of green iron to drool over!

unoriginal

Well spent some time today with a tape measure. There is really no good/safe way to put a civilian dry van trailer on top of my truck. It will be way too tall no matter how I look at it. The trailer will also scrub on the back of my truck. Have to look at the pull behind option more thoroughly now.

unoriginal

wreckerman,

Thanks for the detailed report. So it looks like I will be limited to a 37' max trailer length IOT stay under a 75' total length. That is unfortunate, because it is hard to find anything around that length. I may have to get a storage unit on Fort Benning and come back for it later. I thought about buying a long trailer and hiring a power only to haul it, but I still have to drive my 925 across, so it won't save me anything to hire it out.

EDIT: It would appear there is not length limit on doubles, (with each trailer not to exceed 28' 6" individually), but you are only allowed up to a mile from the Interstates. Thats a total dry length of 57'. That could accomodate well into my next DITY (PPM now) move. Man twin double drops would really be awesome. I could move the whole block. Now the wheels are turning again.

We are exploring a possibility of adding a hand valve too.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any potential rally points in the following;

Alabama
Tennessee
Western Kentucky
South Illinois
Misouri
Kansas
NE Colorado
South Wyoming
North Utah
South Idaho
Oregon
There's a lot of people in the Denver/Cheyenne area.

glassk

I'm in Smiths Station, so stop over wouldn't do any good, I may be able to help with the loading day if you have a time line,
Keith

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm somewhat settled in Leavenworth, KS now so if you pass through and need any help or just need to stop for a beer let me know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks