• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ever built a "shorty" deuce?

JohnnyReb

This may be a members truck. If not, has anyone else ever made the mod.?

I need a deuce to maneuver into very tight construction areas and still have the duals to carry weight (am setting concrete yard blocks).

This setup looks just like the ticket. However, (as referenced in a previous thread) I wonder how it steers. Would the driving wheels being so close to the front compromise the maneuverability?

What would be the technical challenge to making this modification? Would it be more simple than Bobbing?

Thanks as always
JR

Attachments

snakeater

Having just bobbed a deuce I would think it would be an easier project as a whole, but still challenging. You would have to be extra carefull in burning the rivets out of the tandem carriage so that you could move the entire assembly forward on the frame. After that it should be as easy as shortening the driveshaft and relocating wiring and air lines. We looked it over pretty well, a buddy of mine is considering this for himself. However, i wonder about the maneuverablilty. My bobbed deuce handles 10 times better than it did stock. I think a shorty would have a decreased turning radius than stock as well as diminished handling. My opinion of course i have never driven one..........Snakeater

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need the ability to handle a lot of weight in the bed how about bobbing a 5 ton instead of an M35? Or do you need 8 tires in the back to help spread the weight over grass and dirt?

Ruppster
1985 M1009 Blazer

JohnnyReb

If you need the ability to handle a lot of weight in the bed how about bobbing a 5 ton instead of an M35? Or do you need 8 tires in the back to help spread the weight over grass and dirt?

Ruppster
1985 M1009 Blazer
Prefer the smaller overall size of the deuce. Also need the air shift option.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a good candidate for lockouts on the front and forward drive axles. Only lock them in if you think traction will be a problem.

tm america

if your un a short wheel base with 15.5s youl; have more wieght capacity that duals or a bob it will turn better with singles to less binding seen one on ebay before with 395s on it looked cool i only worry about the drivshaft angle at full flex but ive seen it done and he had no problems

JohnnyReb

if your un a short wheel base with 15.5s youl; have more wieght capacity that duals or a bob it will turn better with singles to less binding seen one on ebay before with 395s on it looked cool i only worry about the drivshaft angle at full flex but ive seen it done and he had no problems
Make sure I have this straight: "short wheel base with 15.5 will have more weight capacity then duals.... that is if I single out but keep both axles?

Think the bob would compromise weight capacity too much even if I keep duals.

Do singles (with dual rear axles) help with maneuverability?

tm america

yes they help turn radious braking acceleration gas miliage and the ride you wont even think it the same truck its that big of a difference take your outer rears off drive it youll see what im talkin about plus if you shorten rather than bob you wont have to buy springs and hardware for em youlll have less ground pressure on the backs which means youll tear the job site up less and youlll have better flex out of the rear suspension than if you bob it

tm america

sorry about that!i got my son siting here trying to type to. it's hard enough to type and remember everything on my mind i was gonna say...................:wink:he's 18 months and loves army truck he'll sitting and watch em on youtube all day if i let him:-D

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My two cents......
For tight maneuvering, get power steering.
Single 1100-20 NDTs have a rating of 5,900 lb/ea. Get lower aspect ratio tires if you need to lower the CG.
Singles will reduce turning circle.
For superior traction in mud (building sites), use chains. I can install mine in 20 minutes working alone, including the front.

If you install a crane, a small one can be mounted at the end of the bed, too much weight here will effect your steering ability. That said, I like my set-up, with the option to reach in front of the vehicle.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks