• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ever get a load of gas in your CUCV?

91W350

Never had that problem, I have about gone the other way and filled my Honda with diesel, so used to diesel.... My son laughs at me when I turned the key on and wait a few seconds before starting the Honda.

When I was working for Crane Rental, we had a guy fill a gasoline forklift with diesel fuel. It actually died before he got it to the shop. It did not take long to figure that one out. I had an old 1974 3/4 ton International Pickup with the fuel guzzling 392 in it and a 4.10 axle. I just pumped the diesel out of the fork lift and into the two tanks on the old Binder. I had the forklift running in less than an hour and got to drive a smoky Binder for a few days. It did not accelerate very good, but it would still run 55 and hold it through the hills coming to town. It was a lot cheaper than buying gasoline....

Had a buddy fill his Power Stroke with gasoline and realized it after driving a few blocks. It also did not run very well. He called a local Ford guy who told him it happens all the time. Just drain the tank and fill it with diesel. They did disconnect the glow and fired it up as the engine was still warm. He could not tell any difference once the fuel in the lines made the swap back to diesel. He ran the gasoline through a one ton shop truck with a 400 in it and apparently the 25 to 30 percent of diesel he had in it did not bother the old Ford shop truck any.

I have heard of a lot of guys adding a gallon or two of gasoline in the winter to stop gelling, but I never tried it. I pretty much run #2 as long as I can, then only buy premium fuel to get through the coldest snaps. If I get caught with #2 and a cold front is coming, I just double the dose of Power Service. Glen

datsunaholic

From time to time I get 5-10 gallons of free fuel from my buddy who runs a repair shop. Couple times a year someone brings a Jetta TDI in on the hook after a braindead Yuppie fills their TDI with gas, and I get the fuel. Put it in the Deuce. It would cost my buddy $$$ to dispose of it, because it's considered contaminated.

papercu

Nope, but I did mange to put diesel in the hydraulic tank on a Ditch Witch once. The real strange thing was the hydraulic tank was where the radiator should have been, so I don't know what I was thinking about. Wayne

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had no idea that some states wouldn't let you pump your own fuel. There are still some old "mom & pop" stores around here that have a full service pump and they charge extra for it.

Josh

I know I pay about 30 cents a gallon less for my fuel then the people in Washington. Also, I tend to go to the same service station weither they are the cheapest or not. Know them by name now an have never had an issue.

Stihl029

I did a partial about 6 months ago.
It was all nasty rain sleet and snow out, I pulled up to the island knowing that I had gotten diesel there before slapped my card in and started pumping. I dumped some stanadyne cleaner in while it was pumping and noticed the smell was different. Turned around and shut off the pump. I had close to 5 gallons of gas in it.

I filled the rest with diesel and drove it topping off when I could to dilute it further. For about a week and a half there was a white cloud when I started up.

When I pulled my glow plugs to replace them with wellman 070's I noticed that I did not damage my glowplugs. The old ones were autolite's.

It ran a smidge off and fuel mileage went to crap(11mpg). I have not been able to get the fuel mileage above 15 MPG since but I have had plenty of power even towed a tow truck on the island to a repair shop.

This is on my m1028 and its a daily driver

2deuce

Josh,
The price of fuel never has made much sense. I was driving south on I-5 last week and filled up at a safeway near longview, the safeway at woodland 10 miles or less further south had diesel for .18 more per gallon. I agree tho that Oregon seems to be lower generally than the pump your own states around it, except maybe NV. You can pump your own in Oregon from a card lock like Pacific pride but it won't save much, if any.

Josh

Cheapest diesel gas I've found near Portland is in Sandy heading up to Mt. Hood. Always seems to be about a dime to a quater cheaper then then anywhere else.

2deuce, Where are in Ptown are ya?

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the gas nozzle in the fill hole on my '03 Ram with Cummins and was about to squeeze the handle. Luckily I caught myself before I really screwed up.

Any truth to the claim that fuel/gasoline pumped in Oregon will give better MPG than fuel/gasoline pumped in California? CA gas is full of weird tree hugger friendly additives.

Well, that depends.

We have 10% Ethonal in all of our gas, EXCEPT Premium that is sold on or around docks.

There was a big push by the boating community to have the regular premium ethonal free since it was trashing fuel lines and carbs.

Now, we can go a few miles across the bridge to WA, and ALL of the gas sold there is E10 free. The E10 is what tends to kill our gas milage (usually 2-4 MPG).

edpdx

Since I bought my M10093 months ago, I have only been to the gas station 3 times. I always fill it at about 1/4 tank left. The first time I drove in to the station just after I bought it, the indiam guy that ran the place threw the lever on the Diesel pump and handed it to me. I never tanked up a diesel and here in Oregon, you gas is pumped for you by law. Since there are no differences- as far as I have ever seen for FULL SERVE or MINI SERV, this is okay with me that someone has a job filling gas. I had no idea that I had to pump my own diesel here in Oregon until that first fill. Just to make sure, I went to a different station for the next fill. It was a Shell station, while I waited my turn at the island, I read a sign on the pump that said something about pumping you own diesel. So I asked the guy: "So, I have to pump my own diesel in Oregon?" He said "yes" and proceeded to show me how to operate the pump- I already knew how- it's not like I have never driven in other states, ;but I figured a free lesson in diesel fill-ups can't hurt.

So as far as I know, you have to pump your own diesel in Oregon.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in the day way before Self-Serve, I was a 'Professional Petrolium Transfer Agent'
The places I worked had the Diesel pump off and away from the gas pumps.

and the "big issue" was between "regular" and "unleaded"

WARWAG

I have almost gotten gas twice here recently. As I'm typing this I just realized most of the country pumps your own but here in Oregon that is against the law. An attendant must do the pumping. Sometimes I think they are brain dead from the fumes all day:cookoo:
What is involved if this does happen? I know that it would need to be pumped out of the tank but would you disconnect the glow plugs and let it crank until diesel gets injected? My best friend had this happen twice with his duramax. I asked the station where I usually get fuel and the guy said yeah I did one yesterday.:shock:
If your passing through Oregon keep an eye on what nozzle they put in your tank!

Greg

IF you have a Diesel you are allowed to "PUMP" your own fuel for this very reason. One Gas station attendant in Medford OR started to get mouthy with me when I jumped out telling him to stop. He was starting to pump gas into my tank. My work truck (Chevy Duramax) has DIESEL FUEL ONLY written on the GREEN fuel cap and I believe there is also a DIESEL stick on the inside cover. A sma;ll amount of gas wont hurt your older diesel engine. You can cut your diesel with it for extreme cold weather use. But I wont go there. After that feasko I only went to truck stops from then on. You are exempt from that stupid law. If you dont want to get out then just make sure the person fueling your truck uses the correct pump.

On another note. I travel all over the U.S. and the further East you go the more common GREEN fuel pump nozels that are UNLEADED gas. So for those heading East just pay attention to what your getting ready to pump into your tank. Also OFF ROAD DIESEL is very common and sometimes the stick proclaiming that its OFF ROAD ONLY is very visable. In Colorado the fine is $1,000 bucks or so if they see you pump and drive. Just something to look out for.

Last edited:

2deuce

You don't have to pump your own diesel, because most stations still do it, but I noticed that some stations have added a diesel pump off to the side that isn't serviced by the attendant so you pump your own. Oil companies have spent millions over the years trying to get the law changed, ballot measures have failed where big oil spent alot of money with tv time, mailings, trying to get the voters to pump their own. So far it hasn't worked.

I bought a M1028, recently, perfect rust free body not a dent, very low miles, best seat I've ever seen. The 2 problems it had were , a cracked dash pad and the fact it hadn't run in a couple of years. The college that owned it didn't know why it wouldn't run, said it had been a great truck until it wouldn't start anymore. I didn't know why it wouldn't start either until I got it home. First thing I did was bleed the fuel filter, no air, but it smelled like varnished gas, full tank. It runs sweet on diesel.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That ethanol in gasoline is the sorriest form of theft there is. Every time I am out of town far enough, I buy 'real' gas and enjoy the power and economy. Not only does the ethanol adulteration of the gasoline cost more and will never make a profit because it costs more to grow and process the corn than is the benefit of using it in fuel. It only eats up government subsidies paid to farmers so they don't go broke growing the unprofitable stuff, It makes less power and does no good at all. It's garbage. It's a greenie's dream of forcing others to comply with a false idea.

It's time we figured out the exact compositions of products like injector cleaner and octane booster and RXP - that stuff that cost 7.00 per ounce and cleans up the worst engine to pass emissions. WE could make all of that stuff ourselves I bet. I got to ask the resident chemists, what can I do to gas to counteract the 10% ethanol and get my wrongfully stolen economy and power back? I think adding diesel might help, since it has more BTUs than gas, while ethanol has less. ??

2deuce

I have added diesel to gas about 1 gal to 20 gas. Every attendant thought I was nuts. I did it to burn some of the carbon out of the combustion chamber, which an old timer said works. I thought I might have had a mileage increase. I was pulling a load in a truck I haven't driven since, so I'm not sure if the mileage actually did go up over the long haul, but the truck ran fine at night, but when the sun came up it would quit. The problem confounded me to the point, I parked it, for the last 2 years. Its a gas guzzling 79 ford.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran about 20% Diesel in my gasser Unimogs when I lived in Denver. The government mandated "Front Range Formula" for gasoline has so many highly volatile components in it that the winter gas would boil in a jerry can at 80 degrees F when spring came. Vapor locking was impossible to eliminate without upping the Reed vapor point by adding Diesel, ATF, oil, etc. The truck ran great. I still add some Diesel, ATF, or 2-cy oil to the gas because the truck runs better with it. BTW, the engine compression ratio is under 8 to 1 (mil spec) to burn most anything.

tennmogger

BIG_RED

I have added diesel to gas about 1 gal to 20 gas. Every attendant thought I was nuts. I did it to burn some of the carbon out of the combustion chamber, which an old timer said works. I thought I might have had a mileage increase. I was pulling a load in a truck I haven't driven since, so I'm not sure if the mileage actually did go up over the long haul, but the truck ran fine at night, but when the sun came up it would quit. The problem confounded me to the point, I parked it, for the last 2 years. Its a gas guzzling 79 ford.
I had that happen once on a friends old POS honda. Turned out it was the moisture in the morning shorting out the distributor. Impossible to detect, but a new distributor solved it.

BIG_RED

I ran about 20% Diesel in my gasser Unimogs when I lived in Denver. The government mandated "Front Range Formula" for gasoline has so many highly volatile components in it that the winter gas would boil in a jerry can at 80 degrees F when spring came. Vapor locking was impossible to eliminate without upping the Reed vapor point by adding Diesel, ATF, oil, etc. The truck ran great. I still add some Diesel, ATF, or 2-cy oil to the gas because the truck runs better with it. BTW, the engine compression ratio is under 8 to 1 (mil spec) to burn most anything.

tennmogger
It's important to note that diesel has an octane of like 20. Cheap gas has an octane of 87. Octane means "resistance to ignition" or "slow burning". Too much diesel in a gasser would cause it to knock (predetonate). Your low compression ratio is to counter act that (less compression, less heat in compression stroke, doesn't predetonate). Gas in a diesel makes it hard to start, as gas is harder to ignite than diesel (by compression ignition at least, yes I know it's easier to light with a match). It also thins it, and eats seals in the injector pump. Hayne's engine manual on the 6.2 gm diesel claims they'll run fine on up to 30% gas. I wouldn't recommend it, the seals are not made for it. The ethanol in newer fuel IS TERRIBLE FOR SEALS. IT EATS RUBBER. DO NOT PUT E85 in a diesel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks