• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ever had one get away?

M1075

Just like fishing, I think you dream more about the ones that got away than your actual pruchases. Even though I feel very fortunate to have some nice green iron, I always think about that nice M345 trailer I missed out on ebay. I wish I would have put a bid in.

What about you? What have you let get away?

54reo

Yes, I too have had a couple of "trophies" get away, but who here hasn't.

I do feel quite content with what I do own.

But....

halftrack

Like the 3 M35s with cummins motors at the Drexel GL auction not to long ago? Yah, I let a few too many go, but it all worked out in the long run.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not many MV's, but a whole bunch of other cool stuff...

Like the $6500 original paint M-code 440 6bbl Road Runner I turned down in '95 becuase it was an automatic (I don't know who I am kidding, I would probably still turn it down now) or the $6K '62 340hp 327 'Vette or the '71 LS5 4speed Chevelle for $2500 in '92.....

Bow-man

I'll know tomorrow at the end of this auction to see if I let the M818 go...sheesh! How did I get into this stuff??

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, I had a winch truck for a couple hundred go, and I was directed to an ebay pole setter truck with a buy now for 1200. Missed out on both of them, and STILL dwell on it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In times past it seemed like if I missed a GL auction the trucks would go dirt cheap but the ones I watched would usually go high. It's not that way anymore as it seems all the trucks are bringing a decent price.

Michael

I let a demilled M114 get away that the guy only wanted $2500 for. It came with extra motor and track to. It had the top cut off and was cut half way down in the rear hatch. That was a long time ago.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Missed a $800 Mechanical Mule back in 1997. Good shape, ran well, needed some cosmetic work but nothing major, stuff like the seat, paint, etc.

Bear9127

I have never let one get away, even got a good deal on an M813a1: $837 from Camp Shelby a while back.

However,....it had no sf97 just a bill of sale. My ex girlfriend sold it for $500 to a house mover while I was on the road.

Flea

Not an MV, but I missed a 1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo with 24K miles a couple years ago. Insurance wasn't going to be very expensive, either.

$18k and I had a trade that I would have gotten money back from.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Had 2 ex wife get away, best 2 days of my life. I did win an British APC on ebay for $5700 back in 04. It had a Roll Royce engine and it ran. It was used against the IRA. I had to arrange shipping paperwork and it was so overwhelming. I bailed. Wish I could be overwhelmed like that today!!! I am still kicing myself in the butt for that one. The other 2 getting away more than makes out for that loss!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I've let several get away... usually because I'm too cheap to pay a fair price. On the other hand..I have bagged several unique MV's so I need to control myself so I can get them up to semi-par!!

Chut1st

Oh, yeah. Had a Chieftain tank lined up until I told the then-wife. She "convinced" me to wait and the fedgov imposed a ban on imports.

And lost an M911 on eBay by not paying attention at the end of the auction. I was the only bidder until the last few minutes and someone beat me. Not sure what I would have done with it if I had won. :roll:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Back when the DRMO'S had the live auctions, My buddy and I passed on 2 HMMWVs stripped but on wheels for $300 ea. We could see better ones in line for the next auction, 2 weeks later they were changed to DEMIL. I still have nighmares about it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks