• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ever see a starter break like this.

IRWFO

After months of talking about changing the flywheel and starter I finally have the time to do it. I'm pulling the tranny & transfer case because I'm going to detail the underside of the truck & fix some other things I don't like and so on. Well boy was I surprised when I pulled the starter. I never saw a break like this.
As a side note. Has anyone with a CUCV ever looked into using a HMMWV starter? I am sure it will bolt to the block but the solenoid is off to the side rather then the top. Even so it looks like there is more then enough room. The reason I'm asking is because new off of eBay they are going for well under $200. Just a thought bouncing around in my head.

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have one broken just like that at home. It still works though at least on the bench. It was in a batch of used and rebuilt starters I got from GL, so I don't know what happened.

papercu

OD Iron LLC Parts

I hate places that don't give a physical address or makes you "join" and give all your info just to find shipping charges.
In reading their TOS they have some unusual rules too. I would post them but that's against the rules too.
I'll find another deal. Wayne

AJMBLAZER

RE: OD Iron LLC Parts

Considered any of the high power aftermarket starters? I've heard some great reviews of them. Prices aren't that bad considering what the diesel starters seem to go for.

devilman96

RE: link

Wayne, OD Iron is my site... I am required by my bank to have certain things listed in my terms and conditions, its not my doing as much as it is theirs, especially in regards to the CC processing I am working on getting installed into the site... Where it might seem stuffy its mandated to me and I simply pass it down because I don't want to keep using pay pal, its costly! I would rather be able to sell parts to members at a better price than I would have to tack on another 4% to cover pay pal charges... This is also why I refuse to mess with eBay.

As for "joining"... In order to get you correct shipping cost an address is required. The information is stored for your use as a customer, not for my use as a seller and WILL NEVER BE USED or give to any one else. Its kinda complicated but I have even gone through the trouble of listing out product weight, size, and required "shipping" box size's in the back ground of the website so that customers get the best possible and most accurate pricing on shipping...

I apologize if any of it seems out of place to you but I am working for the community and the hobby to try and better it... The more accurate the site the better the service and the less the cost to you guys in the end...

Where as I am trying to create a business please don't forget I am also one of you guys... and if anyone ever thinks I have forgotten that or am out of place PLEASE remind me of it because I don't ever wish to be that way...

BKinzey

I looked at the OD Iron site and did not see anything which would prevent one from discussing the rules of the site.

Certainly under "fair use" laws anyone can post a review of a business. So I did not see any restrictions nor understand why one could not discuss the "Unusual Rules" mentioned.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Back to the original post topic. I too have had my share of starter breakage. I had one crack right across the nose through one of the mounting holes. Prolly because when I bought it, the rear brace was MIA. Worse than that, was the starter bolt that sheared off way up in the hole in the block. What a nightmare that was. If you don't have brace on the back of the starter, get one quick!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
steelsoldiers said:
... bolt that sheared off way up in the hole in the block. What a nightmare that was. If you don't have brace on the back of the starter, get one quick!
Had to learn that same lesson, the same hard way!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks