• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Excessive smoke on M54?

54’ chevy

I recently picked up an M54, ex fire department truck. The truck is in really nice shape, body is rust free and straight. I don’t think it saw any use after the department sold it, until I picked it up. I was able to get it running and it smokes likes a chimney. Grey/white. Usually only under load. I have yet to put any miles on it other than going a block in 3rd gear (no brakes). Idles good, slow and smooth. No blow by at all. Good oil pressure. Should I be concerned about this? Or could this go away after I am able to put some real miles on it. It has the C Whistler turbo if it matters. 60F75F3C-4F77-4788-8863-3373545D6E70.jpeg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks about right to me. These engines "rolled coal" before it was cool. It will clear up some as you run nice clean fuel through it.

54’ chevy

Looks about right to me. These engines "rolled coal" before it was cool. It will clear up some as you run nice clean fuel through it.
I was just concerned as it was more white/gray than black. But that’s good. Im going through it so I’ll have to make a thread of my progress here.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got an M54 I use as a fire truck. Smokes a little all the time but when I romp on it, definitely rolls coal. Run Her tills she pukes.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
View attachment 852954

dmetalmiki

My 5 tons lay smoke like the proverbial battle ship!
Sometimes downright embarrassing.
If there is traffic behind I do pull in to let them by.
This is generally appreciated and 'saluted'.

54’ chevy

My 5 tons lay smoke like the proverbial battle ship!
Sometimes downright embarrassing.
If there is traffic behind I do pull in to let them by.
This is generally appreciated and 'saluted'.
Maybe it’s just an LDS-5ton thing? As long as I don’t have a blown head gasket, I’m good. My experience is with WW2 vintage. This is my first ‘modern’ truck. Pretty excited to get it going.

dmetalmiki

Yes, the deuces don't hardly smoke at all, in fact my fire truck is almost clean..
And my Diamond T is CLEAN completely..but that is detroit two stroke...strange but my russian OT 65 G fug is almost smokeless as well..On multufuel, and has a 4 cylinder 5+ liter Cesspel tractor engine.