• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust header on a non turbo?

Colonel Smash

My Deuce is not turbocharged. And I have looked into turbocharging it, but every time I do, I run into many statements saying the turbo does not ad that much power and that all it was meant to do is cut down on smoke and make it slightly more efficient.

So that got me thinking.. I've put headers on **** near every gas burner I've ever owned, why not build one for the Deuce? It would be more efficient, more poweful, and as far as the smoke goes, I like my smoke and I don't want to lose it!

Has anyone ever tried this before?

ODdave

Not shure but I think it would require a fair bit of reserch to come up with the correct tube diameter and lenght to produce an efficent scavaging effect. I am not even shure the low rpm of the multi would produce an even enough exhaust pulse to permit good scavaging. Personaly I think a turbo with a fuel bump would be more efective.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your info on adding a turbo is half right. Just putting on a turbo(like the military did) will not add much HP. Adding a turbo with a Pyrometer and tuning the engine will add a bunch. When you tune your truck, you can get close to LDS power. (170 VS 130)

Colonel Smash

I forgot to mention that I plan to do a Cummins swap in the future and the header idea was also a cheaper option than the turbo. And it seems like with 22:1 compression the engine would be happier with a header than it would with a turbo.

JasonS

Your info on adding a turbo is half right. Just putting on a turbo(like the military did) will not add much HP. Adding a turbo with a Pyrometer and tuning the engine will add a bunch. When you tune your truck, you can get close to LDS power. (170 VS 130)
The stock LDS was tuned by adjusting the fuel rate to achieve 10.8 psi at 2400 rpm. This is easily achieved on the LDT by turning up the pump. Doesn't this indicate that you have achieved LDS power?

Westech

CPL
Its very close. A LDT my have a slightly different cam profile. Some have said it is different but the replacement (non factory) is the same as a LDT. The older LDT's do not have piston oil coolers. The newer ones do. A stock LDS will out run a Turned up LDT and a turned up LDS will run away form a Turned up LDT.

JasonS

Its very close. A LDT my have a slightly different cam profile. Some have said it is different but the replacement (non factory) is the same as a LDT. The older LDT's do not have piston oil coolers. The newer ones do. A stock LDS will out run a Turned up LDT and a turned up LDS will run away form a Turned up LDT.
Its 40 lousy horsepower. Why would the LDT not be able to get there or further?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
personaly i doubt that headers would add even 1 hp. just as many others have said, adding a turbo will allow much more fuel to be added and in a diesel, fuel = hp. the real problem is the heads are so extremely inefficient. my opinion is that the ldt is capable of 200 hp, but that is not really that much for such a heavy truck. the highest hp lds ever was 205 hp and i have seen videos of the m-757 being tested, believe me they had the fuel turned WAY up.
tom