• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust manifold install tricks anyone???

Don-T

I am ready to install exhaust manifolds after getting the heads machined for my M1009. The issue I am having is keeping the bolts in the manifolds while working them into place between the frame and the heads. I don't have room to put the bolts in with the manifolds attached to the heads. It's too bad I didn't have the foresight to put the manifolds on the heads before I put the heads back on the engine but I am not taking them back off now. Does anyone have any tricks to keep the bolts in the manifolds while getting the manifolds in place to thread the bolts into the heads? Preferably something that won't start a fire when the manifolds get hot.:)

Joey7

Just put a 6.5 passenger manifold on my m1009. It was a pain. But I suggest using studs rather than bolts for the hard to reach ones. That way most of them will line up with the manifold in place. I jacked up on my bellhousing to get a little more clearance. I know some people will remove the motor mount but I wanted to avoid that.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Don-T

It just occurred to me, I have some safety wire. I can put the bolts in the holes and wrap the last thread showing with safety wire to keep them from falling out. I think there is a gap between the manifold and head where the bolt threads show so the safety wire shouldn’t interfere. I will look at that tomorrow.

nyoffroad

I remember using wire ties that come on loaves of bread, not sure if it was on a CUCV or not but what works on works on others, I do know I just tightened up the bolts with that thin wire in there.

Don-T

The exhaust manifolds are on now. I wrapped safety wire around all the bolts so they couldn’t fall out while working the manifolds into position. The passenger side went in from the top but I needed a helper to hold the exhaust pipe in the right position to line up with the manifold. The driver side had to go in from the bottom but was an easy install as well. I hope to get more done in the next few days.