• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust note changed?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Gimppy, you sir never stop amazin me. Just about the time I think i've heard or seen it all, you throw a change-up.

Since when do you worry about anything until after it all goes to heii ? I was beginning to think your were totally fearless in your endevors and I was an old 'worry wart'. :cookoo:

I honestly don't think your problem is something major. I'd be leaning towards a loose clamp or leak somewhere to cause the pitch change. Anytime a turbo ever gave out on me, there was never any question as to what exactly was going bad.

Another indicator of a turbo problem will be an increase in exhaust smoke. It will usually be a blueish white color and progressively get worse.

Wish you all the best...good luck and please keep us posted..:mrgreen:
Nah, I am always listening for something to go wrong. Any slight vibration and I think a bearing is ready to let go. Any bouncing and I worry a wheel stud has broken. I constantly think about what is going wrong with my truck and dwell on it, nothing else to do while on the road. I love driving it but hate fixing it! :cookoo: Getting ready to look her over now.

rlwm211

not a simple answer to this question

"Radial Clearance" is the distance that the impeller must be from the wall of the turbo housing to properly operate and create boost. As the bearings wear, the clearance will decrease, not increase. Obviously, the tubine shaft will most likely tend to wear the side opposite where the most force is applied.

As to Gimpy's problem, It is hard to determine a source of the noise. I have seen turbos let go, and they start screaming, that is bearings going to He!! before they disintegrate. Yes, a runaway is a problem when the oil that is supposed to be lubricating the turbo gets into the intake. Worse yet, as stated, are the parts that get into the engine. In my experience the exhaust side wears out first due to the extremes of heat imposed on the bearings.

I would look for minor oil leakage as an indication of the tolerances being far enough out of spec to cause the noise. What is also possible is that a hole has developed in the exhaust pipe, and it is "whistling" when maximum exhaust flow is present. A hole can be in the outlet of the turbo, or even before, The j pipes are known to rot out and I know when mine had a hole it was an entirely different exhaust noise than after I fixed the problem.

If you have a known good turbo and install it, you will know for certain if the noise is the turbo or not when you start the truck up. If the noise remains, then it is a physical issue of the exhaust system. In the better safe than sorry mode I would change the turbo if I could to make sure I am not going to grenade a good engine due to a bad turbo and what can come from it.

Sorry Gimpy that there is no clear answer. trust your instincts and do what you know is right.

RL

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I stand corrected. I am surprised that the radial clearance is that much. We never really checked it using any kind of measuring tool. Just went by feel. If you could move the compressor or turbine wheel (depending if you had the intake or exhaust side off) back and forth ever so slightly that was ok but you didn't want to feel any side to side play. Good info to know.
I have seen quite a bit (just by feel) of side to side movement on a new turbo right out of the box.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm not SURE it was the turbo's bearing, but it had a LOT of axial play, so I swapped it out. I started about 2:30 and finished up a test drive about 6:00. The noise had not surfaced in the 30min test drive. I am pulling a deuce out of Dayton tomorrow, that will be the real test. I probably could have gotten it swapped faster, but I had a lot of crap to clean off the parts I disassembled.