• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust Over Heating

acme66

I moved the exhaust on my 923 from the stack to under the bed and out the rear corner. Didn't have a choice as the state of Montana is requiring it for what I plan to do with the truck. I went with 4" to match what was already there. Did an amazing job making the cab quieter but, and this is a big but, the piping got hot enough on a long hill climb to melt off the rubber on the muffler hangers. Whoa. I never gave EGT's a thought since it lacks a turbo. I am beginning to think I have a huge amount of back pressure. I reused my old muffler which looked fine despite being sooted up with 1/16+ inch coating inside the muffler. Again I never really gave it a thought. My modifications added 10 additional feet of 4" line but also took out one of the 90 bends, it is literally a straight shot all the way out. Wondering if I need to upgrade to 5 inch, swap to a new free-flow muffler or if I just flip the exhaust hangers around, put the rubber at the top and drive it. It has to be quiet for our business. I know most of you run stacks and so give exhaust and muffler heat little thought (nothing up there to melt/burn) but do you have any ideas? Grade was 6 miles of steep, truck did it in 4th and I was not flogging it. Engine coolant temp never got above 190.

-Ken

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Do you know if the fuel has been turned up? On a long pull with the fuel turned up you have to back off the throttle or you will build heat quickly. A lot of diesel engines have been ruined by "diesel doctors" that knew how to turn one up but not how to keep it cool. There are several adjustments that need to be made when turning the fuel up. Have you looked at the exhaust manifold and the first few feet of pipe coming out? If they are discolored you have prob gotten the engine very hot. Did you notice any increase in water temp while pulling the grade? Just my thoughts.

acme66

I am the second owner since the army but as much as I have been told no motor modifications at all. She is really slow to have had anything turned up. No water temp rise at all. No rubber mounts on the standard stack but then this ISN'T the standard stack anymore. I used your typical industry standard hangers so something is not right. Thinking of replacing the rubber in the hangers with a short chain so it can still flex. The remove all the rubber concept might be spot-on regardless.

-Ken

tourus

well in 20 + years of trucking if a person lugs an engine on a long hill(pull) the exhaust will heat up turbo or not.. so try to keep the engine rpms up towards the top of the scale.. believe it or not that will drop the exhaust temp down..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks