• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

exhaust pipe fit

Hasdrubal

My right side exhaust down pipe that bolts to the manifold looks like it spent its life in Truk lagoon, unlike the left which is clean. Been on the lookout for one as apparently they cant get one here and the original GM ones are supposed to be better than the Walker exhaust as they are made with double walls. In the TM's it shows a part # change after VIN # FF136169. That's an 85 model year, mine is an 86. Seen one that's for the earlier period. Would this fit on my M1009? How different could it be, as they didn't change the manifold or chassis geometry. Is the difference only at the muffler end where it joins the curved intermediate pipe. Anyone know what the story is?

Hasdrubal

No one down this road before then. Funny..if I had posted about putting a 3 1/2 extension on the end of my tailpipe, this thread would have had 100 posts and gone on for weeks. Anyways, it seems that the early exhaust, as shown in the TM's is one continuous piece from manifold to muffler. While on my 86, the pipes are a foot shorter and there is a curved intermediate piece that goes in between.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not too many folks go in search of the factory part on exhaust components. Aluminized (by name only I presume) pipe does seem to hold up better than base steel pipe. I've never seen a double walled pipe on a GM truck before but I've been out of the exhaust business since 1984.