• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust Smoke

LHoward

I have a 1970 Deuce and a half with LDT 465 1C, it runs really well, no water in the oil, and I cannot tell any difference in the antifreeze, if it using any or not, but my question is: What would cause it to have white smoke from the exhaust when you first start it up? Also, when you let the engine warm up, and you give it a little throttle, some white smoke will come from the exhaust, but when it is being driven down the road, it doesn't seem to have any at all, except when the throttle is first pushed, and then it is only a couple of seconds, and then it is clear. The engine temp stays around 175, and seems to run really smooth under idle and under load. If you have any insight on this issue I would appreciate the advice. Thanks!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
These engines do not have super tight tolerances and a little oil will get by the rings occasionally for several different reasons. White smoke generally means you are burning a little oil, black smoke means inefficient fuel combustion or air restriction.
These engines were built before the EPA was infiltrated by environmental whack jobs that have changed the diesel engine from a reliable mechanical workhorse to an electronically controlled nightmare that cannot be worked on by the average Joe and cost a fortune to own and maintain. But I digress.

HanksDeuce

Every time you crank a deuce the white smoke is the spirit of a little baby seal that dropped dead at the North Pole. I haven't killed one in a LONG TIME, but I hope to be on the road soon. Black smoke is just dead pulverized dinosaur juice.

welldigger

Black smoke=unburned fuel
Blue smoke=oil
White smoke=coolant. By white I mean very obviously white. Not gray or a blueish hue.

If you get just a tiny whisp of whitish gray smoke on initial start up it can be as simple as condensation build up in the exhaust stack. If it billows out of the exhaust then you have a problem.

Last edited:

Dipstick

Wow! Imagine finding RTK, Hank, and Digger on the same thread at the same time! I was taught many years ago that a bit of light white smoke means you're a bit lean on the fuel to air ratio.

LHoward

I was told by a diesel mechanic, which happens to be a good friend of mine, who looked at the smoke and says it was from unburned fuel, it was a light gray colored smoke.