• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust tailpipe mods

birdslinger

New LMTV owner. Bought a 1998 S&S M1078 to use as a work truck for construction/"keep dreaming about Breslau" project vehicle. Has anyone made any mods to exhaust pipe routing? I'd like to turn the exhaust tail pipe down where it turns 90 to come out from under the truck so I can mount an underbody tool box at its current location. Anyone know why they ran it out from under the truck or if turning it down would be a bad idea? Water fording? Personnel transport CO issues?

Eventually I'd like to move the spare to the back and run it vertical behind the cab if there is room. Please post pics if you have any.

Thanks for any thoughts. This is a really good site with good info.

snowtrac nome

the exhaust coming out the side would have to do with troop transport no exhaust under any body that could be used for occupants. im planning on a vertical exhaust when mine gets here. I plan on using mine commercially so I will have to have a noise reduction device of some kind to keep the commercial vehicle inspectors happy.

ramdough

the exhaust coming out the side would have to do with troop transport no exhaust under any body that could be used for occupants. im planning on a vertical exhaust when mine gets here. I plan on using mine commercially so I will have to have a noise reduction device of some kind to keep the commercial vehicle inspectors happy.
Are you still using the stock muffler? The exhaust tip has a tube that comes from the air filter to help clear debris,.... are you getting rid of that?

Just curious, about the some of the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birdslinger

Mine is a M1088 so no plans to ford. Used a piece of the old pipe to build the end sweep.
Thats what I had in mind. I don't think doing it that way will impair its ability to ford, just send exhaust fumes all around the bottom of the bed if you get in real deep water. CO bad if you ford and have a cargo bed full of troops under canvas.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats what I had in mind. I don't think doing it that way will impair its ability to ford, just send exhaust fumes all around the bottom of the bed if you get in real deep water. CO bad if you ford and have a cargo bed full of troops under canvas.[/QUOTE

Mine is a tractor.

snowtrac nome

I'm waiting on my truck to get here on the first barge. I do plan to use the dust separator it will require some fabrication and plumbing to make it work. in the end when I'm working around the truck I don't want the exhaust blowing around at ground level, I worked on too many bugs in the past, don't need flash backs of the torture of adjusting a carb on one.

Duckworthe

I just rotated my muffler and exhaust pipe, then cut and turned the tip. That put mine just in front of the forward drivers rear leaf spring hanger. That made enough room for my generator to mount. Also able to keep my particulate scavenger system in place.

birdslinger

I'm waiting on my truck to get here on the first barge. I do plan to use the dust separator it will require some fabrication and plumbing to make it work. in the end when I'm working around the truck I don't want the exhaust blowing around at ground level, I worked on too many bugs in the past, don't need flash backs of the torture of adjusting a carb on one.
Good point

ramdough

I just rotated my muffler and exhaust pipe, then cut and turned the tip. That put mine just in front of the forward drivers rear leaf spring hanger. That made enough room for my generator to mount. Also able to keep my particulate scavenger system in place.
That is what I plan to do..... seams like the best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Just wondering how loud it is without the muffler
I plan on removing the muffler from mine just would like to hear how it sounds before I do so. Thanks
others have said it is louder to the passengers because it moves the noise closer to them unless you replace where muffler was with a pipe...... but to those outside cab, folk say it not really any different.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not think there was too much difference. I was planning on extending my crappy quick job with just some more pipe and exhausting right where the old one came out. Too many other things to worry about right now for a truck that sits.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks