• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust tip suggestions

Unforgiven

I need some of the more experienced diesel experts to give me some suggestions. I'm putting a resonator and stack muffler in place of the Deuce's straight pipe. The combination will place the muffler exit at almost the same height as the current stock tip-out. Yes, I know. That's an awfully big muffler. It'll probably go behind the cab in the future. But for now I simply want to replace the straight pipe.

I need to decide on what type of tip to use. Here are the three that I am considering:

1- A regular tip-out just like what is on the end of the stock pipe.

2- A short piece of straight pipe coming out of the muffler with a rain cap.

3- A short radius 90 degree pipe with a vertical rain cap (is that even done?).

I don't want the tip sticking too far up. But at the same time I'm looking for performance (sound-wise, not engine-wise), not looks. The quieter the better. The less hassle in the future the better. That's why I'm considering a rain cap.

Before I order the exhaust tip components I wouldn't mind getting some feedback. Thanks.

It's 5" ID outlet on the muffler if that helps.

m816

I have a five ton with a muffler installed in the pipe above the fender and it fits just between the mirror brackets/ on the end, whoever did the mod cut and re welded the standard deuce end on it. Looks okay and I actualln never noticed it since I bought it as a non runner. When I got it running I finally realised the mod. I tend to get narrow focused when I am working on things so I gues i was looking at it with rectal vision. anyway It didn't quiet it down much but I am also hard of hearing. Besides I didn't want you to get distressed that no one was reading your post.

andybritt2002

I kinda like the flappers on straight pipe. but all that ive seen still get water in the pipe. I like the looks of it better than just the side exit pipe.

Unforgiven

It didn't quiet it down much but I am also hard of hearing.
Those might be correlated.

I take it the engine valve train is pretty noisy by itself.

I'm going to go with the two suggestions to put a flapper on it. Shipping takes a few days so I want to order the parts today.

Flyingvan911

I would say a straight pipe without the flapper would be the least restrictive. If the flapper is balanced well, it shouldn't take much to open it. I agree, door #2.

Sutphensvc

There is a company that produces an internal muffler that will fit in your stack, and isn't very noticeable at all from the ones I've seen.

I think It's "Grand Rock" in Painsville, Ohio. I could be wrong on the manufacturer, but they are coming to mind. Plus, they are 100% US made.
If you have a "TruckPro" store near you, they are a direct dealer for Grand Rock.

Unforgiven

I'm not too concerned about looks. I just want to make the exhaust as quiet as possible. Here's what I ordered. Some of it is already here. The rest should arrive next week:

5604f8a2dfa3e294e5b478843c429cff.jpg

Quiet Performance Classic 51.5 universal stack muffler - Pittsburgh Power - High performance diesel

Pittsburgh Power Quiet Muffler

lg_resonator_54.jpg

https://store.ftediesel.com/home/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=41&idcategory=8

FTE Resonator

category700_reducers_odid.jpg

https://store.ftediesel.com/home/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=19

FTE Reducer, slips over Deuce pipe, slips into Resonator. Also a short section of 5" pipe to weld the resonator to the muffler.

Exhaust Elbow 68-Degree 5" OD/OD
Exhaust Rain Cap 5"

68 degree elbow (for the exhaust tip) & rain flapper from the above website. Sorry, the pics wouldn't upload from airflo.

I also got a dB meter just for the heck of it. I like running experiments with real, tangible empirical results

41BMMV2YGDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Sinometer JTS1357 Digital Sound Level Meter: Home Improvement

I decided to get the 68 degree bend so the exhaust can exit both up and back. I'll probably have to adjust the center of gravity on counterweight on the flapper to get it to open/close properly at that angle. No biggie. Some grinding & an all thread with adjustable double nuts welded to the counter weight should do the trick.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just used the original piece that was on there. About any tractor/farm equipment dealer will have a flapper. Also, so will the heavy truck store, along with the exhaust pipe bends, etc., for other modifications. I never have worried about water getting past the flapper on my tractors.

Attachments

AGE|kshaufl

Unforgiven...don't forget to update us with the pics when you get this installed. I might be interested in getting one for mine if the sound reduction is worth it.

I would also think of adding something like Dynomat to the hood, firewall, and floor. I have been in a few that were field modded, and they were great. The guys used jet engine insulation mat on the hood & firewall and some kind of self adhesive water resistant mat on the underside of the truck cab.

It was almost as quiet as the inside of a modern tractor cab.