• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhuast smoke color...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

Just want to check my exhuast smoke...
At warmed up idle of 900 RPM, the exhaust is barely visible. When I hit the pedal, it turned black as the RPMs went up, but then changed back to barely visible at the new higher RPM...
Should I be concerned about the black smoke or is everything OK?
I was running pure diesel with all new filters, no crap in the tank, ect...
Engine is the standard LDT-465-1D with D turbo, and hasnt been turned up as far as I know.

rdixiemiller

The black smoke on acceleration is normal. When you open the throttle to a position that is good for say, 1600 rpm, the engine is immediately getting that amount of fuel. You will see black smoke (excess fuel) until the engine builds to the rpm that the throttle position determines. At that point, the smoke will almost disappear. When accelerating up a hill, you will see the same thing. You are running full throttle, but the engine rpm is dropping as the hill slows you down. This is normal for almost any kind of internal combustion engine.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
black is usually unburnt fuel or running overfueled and usually means it's been turned up a little but maybe it came that way. Mine still won't do that even after turning it up a little. I don't think there is harm in it doing that when the throttle is blipped. What does it do for smoke at full speed on a hill, say at 2300RPM, pedal to the floor, and decelerating due to the hill?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OPCOM,

Im still waiting on DMV to get me my paperwork so I can take her out for a run. In the mean time, I've been doing seals, bearings, brakes, oil change, ect..