• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Expansible crew cab

WYomer

So searching I found plenty of crew cab 5 tons. They all look like a second cab was spliced in and the bed area was partially or mostly lost (trailer bed conversion like a bob).

As a single father of 5 kids I need room to take the herd camping.

I was wondering if I took the HVAC unit out of the expansible, fabbed up rails/floors/cab hoops and had it skinned if I would have enough room? Yes the spare, and exhaust would have to be relocated but going straight back to the box would be easier than creating rear rounded corners of a cab. Think I would have too much cab VS box movement to attach them and need a gap and back cab wall? If not I can look at going into the box a bit and building my kitchen wall/storage around that too.

What say ye?

Gunzy

Plan B surplus in Ogden, Utah has been doing that exact conversion for their customers. They even move the van box back to make larger cabs and build walkthoughs into the van.

WYomer

Plan B surplus in Ogden, Utah has been doing that exact conversion for their customers. They even move the van box back to make larger cabs and build walkthoughs into the van.
I cringed at the tent on top for kids of the one I saw. I was also thinking about a walk through motor home style.

I didn't notice it was a crew cab just like what I was thinking. I need to take a better look, but that rack over the cab/tire holder would be nice with a hoist built in.

Last edited:

camoyj7

You could do what the semi's with sleepers do. They have a big rubber gasket between cab and bunk to allow some movement. A crew cab 5 ton would have plenty of power and be a perfect camper. I did a crew cab deuce with a 5 ton spare carrier and a M109 box. It was good in theory but to heavy for the under powered Multi fuel engine.

Attachments

WYomer

That would be interesting. You have the fab skills for it? Not to be rude just wondering if you will hire it out or do it at home
I had the fab skills and tools. I have built over 15 rockcrawlers, 3 restorations and 1 hot rod (boring). I'd never take this question as rude, I've seen plenty of nice builder rigs get destroyed by good intentions or cost the owners more $$ by cutting and then having to take it to a fabricator.

I did see that the PlanB 5 ton has some upgrades to include a fold down guard rail on top, and spoke with them about coming to see it. I'd never rip off another fabricator but sharing experiences are nice and getting ideas also. Also about some other parts and such to buy from them. Super nice guy.

My hang up is I have a 4,00sqft shop but my door is only 11' tall, its 20' wide but I think I'm about 1.5" short, may have to dig down to get the 5 Ton in. It has a 30' roof so once I'm in its fine.

WYomer

You could do what the semi's with sleepers do. They have a big rubber gasket between cab and bunk to allow some movement. A crew cab 5 ton would have plenty of power and be a perfect camper. I did a crew cab deuce with a 5 ton spare carrier and a M109 box. It was good in theory but to heavy for the under powered Multi fuel engine.

I like the gastket idea, I bet the RV material for slide outs would work well. Thick, flexible, and purchased by the foot.

tobyS

I've been thinking of something similar, camoyj. I have a 931 that I'm considering making a cruiser/camper/single axle tractor combination (google semi rat rod) to do some traveling w/w. Perhaps have a sleeper and have a pop up camper on top. Here is a photo of an electrical enclosure I purchased that might work. Biggest change is going to 2 x 4, suspension and gearing (3.70 range).... and lowering CG significantly. With enough dogbones, I can envision a 4 link suspension on both the front and rear, with air bags all around.

Attachments

dangood

I did see that the PlanB 5 ton has some upgrades to include a fold down guard rail on top, and spoke with them about coming to see it. I'd never rip off another fabricator but sharing experiences are nice and getting ideas also. Also about some other parts and such to buy from them. Super nice guy.
Dan here from Plan B Supply. No worries on any of our "secrets" just here to help. The stock height on the Expando van with 11r20 tires is 11'3" fully inflated, so you might squeak inside your shop on deflated tires with a spotter watching up high. If your approach into your shop is pretty level, give it a shot and see. If you have a slight rise to get into the shop, drive in forward and back back out. Made the mistake once of going in forward with 1" top clearance and then coming back out forward. The driveway into the building had a slight rise and when I came out and my front end started going down...well you know what the back end does with that box hanging over. It counter-levered the back end up ever so slightly and applied a new kind of braking system I had not discovered yet. Luckily I was going slow, no throttle, half brake, and when the truck applied its new roof braking system to the entrance top, it received only cosmetic friction damage visible to maybe a sharpshooter. I deflated the tires and backed back in, turned her around and came out bassackwards in the same direction I came in and made it out without the newly discovered roof brakes activating.

In regards to the Crewcab on the Expando van, put your rear seats facing each other and keep your middle walkway open. Gives you the same amount of seating (if not more) and give you the option to put a removable Rv table in there while traveling.

the box does flex...a lot. You can adjust the flex but it gives it better flex offroad and keeps the box from tweaking if you leave the mounting system stock. (Its kinda backwards for most people. It's mounted solid on the rear, and spring mounted up front by the cab. Get something very rubbery that "stretches" and then fasten it down with a aluminum flat metal strip around the rubber edge to keep it from peeling loose or tearing. So far we have had no problems with leaks other than past design methods that were fixed with better rubber, and the metal clamp effect.

Dont be scared of the tent...embrace it. It is fabulous. The extension gives you plenty of wiggle room in case you trip or fall inside the tent. Maybe 6 yrs old and up have handled it fine. They live up there in our truck. Its a mobile treehouse. If it scares you to much, put an electric fence up to keep them from wandering... Or just put solar panels up there and call it good.

The electric breaker panel inside the back end of the box passenger side needs a wiring change to work on a normal generator, but it's not to hard to convert to single phase and make it make sense to your honda 1000. Pretty cool when all the lights come on and the plugs work. Usually requires a few new breakers too.

The sliding window covers in the box make a great blackout mode for keeping kids asleep on camp outs way past normal waking hrs in a tent. (Awesome) It can be 11am and it's still almost pitch black inside if I close them all tight. The other nice thing about the walls is that you feel hardly any wind cause the truck is so heavy and the walls are insulated. It's very quiet. Kicks tenting to the curb. Hate the flapping a tent does in even a gentle breeze.

WYomer

Dont be scared of the tent...embrace it. It is fabulous. The extension gives you plenty of wiggle room in case you trip or fall inside the tent. Maybe 6 yrs old and up have handled it fine. They live up there in our truck. Its a mobile treehouse. If it scares you to much, put an electric fence up to keep them from wandering... Or just put solar panels up there and call it good.

The sliding window covers in the box make a great blackout mode for keeping kids asleep on camp outs way past normal waking hrs in a tent. (Awesome) It can be 11am and it's still almost pitch black inside if I close them all tight. The other nice thing about the walls is that you feel hardly any wind cause the truck is so heavy and the walls are insulated. It's very quiet. Kicks tenting to the curb. Hate the flapping a tent does in even a gentle breeze.
Hi Dan! Not scared of the tent! I think the first time I saw a video of the tent the build was brand new, plus my kids are 3,3,4,5,7 so I get a bit protective! The hard walled Expansible was mainly due to the expanding grizzly bears here. They are out of control the last few years, breeding like crazy and no fear of humans. When I was in Alaska they got shot at enough to have learned to fear humans...not the ones here.

Thanks for the tip on getting it into the shop! I'm thinking tractor+plow then blade to get about 10" of room.

For the crew cab I cant wait to see what you did going all the way back. I have a guy here with a plasma table that will cut what I want extremely reasonably and if I can keep the back fairly square it shouldn't be too bad. Really interested about moving the box back 6" like you told me for a bit more room! My neighbor owns a crane service and owes me a favor. Seats I'm thinking jump seats like the old Landcruisers had in the back, small and fold down. Basically I need a visual to gauge what room I'll have. I'm a pretty visual person and likely wont start the crew cab until winter, need the box set up first. Lots of hunting to do starting September.

jarhead1086

Thanks for not sharing info about these Plan B guys Gunzy. I don't get out much and you need to keep me in the loop. I sent a request to Alaska Campers once about building a pop-up style like TobyS mentioned. They didn't want to touch it. Keeping it lower weight and the pop up for lower CG & drag would be great. I would want to keep it issue looking on the outside. I have a 12' door. Going taller is possible but a mess with stucco etc.

WYomer

Dan it was great to meet you Saturday! If anybody wants to see some good looking trucks, parts, and nice guys go see PlanB! Or if you needs lights, parts, etc. in that area his prices beat another vendor by a lot!

I got so much food for thought and am now in the planning stage hopefully to start metal fab by December, and paint, lights earlier!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks