• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Expeditions, adventures or just a campout

Third From Texas

Yea ive got to find me a chart of channel frequency numbers for this thing i know its got ham ch in it .
Check the model number, but I'm 99.99% sure that you should be able to program it with CHIRP. You just need the programing cable and a laptop/PC if so. If I'm going somewhere I like to find the local park ranger tac and program it in as well as any local repeaters and weather.

As far as licensing, the HAM lic can be acquired online now (one good thing that came of the pandemic). The Tech license is stupid easy and the test/studying materials are found online. While during an emergency, anyone can transmit on HAM channels, it's no big deal to acquire the license these days (and no more MORSE code req).

Little Baofeng radios are so inexpensive now (I picked up a pair of 8w for $50 a few years back). Oddly, there are even knockoffs of the Baofeng (I'd suggest the real Chinese shit over the knockoff Chinese shit). I'm of the opinion that everyone should have one in their truck and know how to call for help with it.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the model number, but I'm 99.99% sure that you should be able to program it with CHIRP. You just need the programing cable and a laptop/PC if so. If I'm going somewhere I like to find the local park ranger tac and program it in as well as any local repeaters and weather.

As far as licensing, the HAM lic can be acquired online now (one good thing that came of the pandemic). The Tech license is stupid easy and the test/studying materials are found online. While during an emergency, anyone can transmit on HAM channels, it's no big deal to acquire the license these days (and no more MORSE code req).

Little Baofeng radios are so inexpensive now (I picked up a pair of 8w for $50 a few years back). Oddly, there are even knockoffs of the Baofeng (I'd suggest the real Chinese shit over the knockoff Chinese shit). I'm of the opinion that everyone should have one in their truck and know how to call for help with it.
omg CHUCKY TOOOOOO old for book test i do good to find the mailbox some days i will look at it and see how much drama it will be and again im only going to be using them if everything goes to sheat and at that point i sure as hell wouldnt be using call signs when broadcasting i want to the opisit of identifiable im probably going to be transmitting on 1 band receiving on another and swaping on the top and bottom of the hour worst case senario . These are retevis RT-5RV I will try to understand this little handbook but its crazy to try to put some kind of code in to it on a certain freq it makes my head hurt

Third From Texas

omg CHUCKY TOOOOOO old for book test i do good to find the mailbox some days i will look at it and see how much drama it will be and again im only going to be using them if everything goes to sheat and at that point i sure as hell wouldnt be using call signs when broadcasting i want to the opisit of identifiable im probably going to be transmitting on 1 band receiving on another and swaping on the top and bottom of the hour worst case senario . These are retevis RT-5RV I will try to understand this little handbook but its crazy to try to put some kind of code in to it on a certain freq it makes my head hurt
CHIRP is super easy to use and it works with that unit. btw

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

What does this ap do? what is it programing ?

What would you charge me to program these 4 ? I can throw them in a box with return shipping !

Third From Texas

What does this ap do? what is it programing ?

What would you charge me to program these 4 ? I can throw them in a box with return shipping !
I just lets you assign freqs to channels to the pre-programmed selection on the radio (in stead of having to surf up/down the freq ranges). So say you want weather on ch01, chatty crap on ch02, a fire watch tower repeater on ch03, rescue rangers on ch04, etc.

The reason you want the app is a) it's silly easy to use, b) you can adjust your radio to work in various places that have repeaters (think increase your range 10x).

I wouldn't charge you anything (it literally takes 20 mins to learn the app and program your channels). But you have to know what freqs you want on which channel. You'd be wise to just snag CHIRP if you have a little laptop or PC. It really just allows you to change the pre-set channels (opposed to scanning up or down freq)

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just lets you assign freqs to channels to the pre-programmed selection on the radio (in stead of having to surf up/down the freq ranges). So say you want weather on ch01, chatty crap on ch02, a fire watch tower repeater on ch03, rescue rangers on ch04, etc.

The reason you want the app is a) it's silly easy to use, b) you can adjust your radio to work in various places that have repeaters (think increase your range 10x).

I wouldn't charge you anything (it literally takes 20 mins to learn the app and program your channels). But you have to know what freqs you want on which channel. You'd be wise to just snag CHIRP if you have a little laptop or PC. It really just allows you to change the pre-set channels (opposed to scanning up or down freq)
All i have is a chrome book it doesnt have an operating system its just google and go ! I think i know someone local that does all the ham stuff i will try to find him he would probably know how to and what local channels as well to have ! I just rememberd him . Thanks for all the insight maybee i can snag him to get this stuff straight and i can show him all the stuff you sent me!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks