• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Expert opinion requested

dw9339

I am in Austin. I did a short test drive of about 30 feet and the brakes do stop the truck, which they didn't do on Monday so I'm kinda proud of my first mechanical effort on any piece of machinery.

I would absolutely love some help. My main problem right now is that I need to move the truck to stay compliant with the HOA. If anyone in Austin has a tow bar and would be willing to tow me to Dripping Springs, a total of about 18 miles, it would save me some cash. I would of course be willing to compensate for your help.

Barrman

He doesn't live in Texas Kenny, he lives in Austin. Completely different mind set.

DW, Thanks for posting where you are, you have a lot of people with trucks and tow bars all around you. We are just about all going somewhere this weekend for parades too. Then next week has the national MVPA field trip for a lot of people as well. I will let anybody that can help speak for themselves.

I don't have a spare weekend day for at least the next 3 weeks between parades and Scout summer camp. Sorry.

rlwm211

one man bleeding operation without pressure bleeder

There is a different way to bleed your brakes with one person besides using a pressure bleeder. here is how you do it alone.

1) You need to have one pint bottle. I use old gatoraid bottles as they seal pretty well afterwards. Another plus is that they have a flat wide bottom as compared to a soda bottle.
2) You need a decent quantity of DOT 5 brake fluid. A quart would be my guess.
3) You need a piece of rubber hose about 18" long that is about 1/8-3/16" inside diameter.
4) Open the top of the master cylinder and make sure it is full.
5) Go to the farthest wheel from the master open the bleeder 1/2 to 1 turn. Put the rubber hose over the bleeder. Put about 1-2 inches of brake fluid in the pint bottle. Put the other end of the hose in the bottle so the end stays under the surface and place the bottle in a flat spot. There are plenty on a deuce near the backing plate.
6) With your hand, pump the brake pedal slowly to the floor, 2 or 3 times. I repeat, slowly push the pedal to the floor SLOWLY...
7) Return to the wheel cylinder you opened and turn the wheel cylinder shut with the hose. Once you have the bleeder shut, remove the hose and tighten the bleeder.

Go the opposite wheel cylinder on the same axle and repeat the proceedure, then continue on with the rest of the truck, rears, next rear, then front axles.

Remember to refil the master after each wheel cylinder. You will have to empty the brake fluid you are accumulating in the small bottle after a couple of wheels. Remember to keep an inch or so in the bottom.

You will be amazed how much fluid the master can move in one pedal stroke. You can empty the master in 4 pedal strokes to the floor.

If the master does not move fluid it is in need of rebuilding or replacement.

This -proceedure should be done with no air pressure in the system as you want to bleed the system at low pressure with only the master. That is about 500 PSI as opposed to up to 2000 PSI according Bjorn who has done extensive work in researching and repairing these trucks.

I just bled mine to make sure the system is purged of air since I replaced the master yesterday and it took about half an hour to do the entire truck. I am not a speed demon and have a bad back and knee to make sure that I am slow and steady....

;-)

Hope this is helpful
RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks