• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

explain some tire sizes to me please?

houdel

I guess I should have stated the 12:00-20 tire for the M35 rim was a bias ply tire. Bummer, the Michelin 13:00R20 would make a great super single tire, but they want it on a 10" wide rim. It could probably be made to work on a stock 7.5" M35 rim though. 13.5" is probably as wide as you'd want to go, anything wider would probably rub on the drag link on a hard right hand turn.

Funny, the table for 9:00-20s lists the rolling circumferance as 123", I measured all 11 of my tires and they ranged from 126-1/4" to 129-1/4". And those were used tires. My spare, a T-Hawk, has never been on the ground, still has the part numbers painted on the tread, and it measured 127-1/2"!

jasonjc

The 12.50R20 do fit on the M35 rims I have some mount on the front of mine just a litte taller than the 9.00's but much better looking and they seem to fit fine no exscive pull in at the rim. But its is a pain to get the lock ring back on.

houdel

The stock M35 rims are 7.5" wide and are rated for 12:00-20 tires, per what is stamped on my rims. That of course was the spec in bias ply tire days.

If you look carefully at the charts above, the 11:00-20 NDT tires call for an 8" wide rim (contrary to what is stamped on my rims), are 11.9" wide, have a 43.5" diameter and a 20.2" static rolling radius.

The Michelin 13:00R20 XL calls for a 10" rim, is 13.5" wide, has a 46.2" diameter and 20.6" static rolling radius.

If I had the bucks to afford them, I'd go with the Michelin 13:00R20 XL with tubes and flaps on my stock M35 rims. I don't think the narrower rim, in a single rear configuration is going to amount to a peehole in the snow, other than a little extra sidewall buldge, which might make them a little better looking on the Deuce.

Also, the charts state the rolling circumferance for 9:00-20s at 123". I measured all 11 tires on my Deuce, the actual measurements ranged from 126.25" to 129.25", for what it is worth.

Towman2277

I run dual wheel trucks all day long, for thousand of miles ( Large tow-trucks). You DO NOT want side wall contact between tires, as this DOES cause the tire to "heat-up" from the friction generated at high loads and rubber "rubbing" will tend to get "soft", and then one tire will blow, and THEN the weight involved with the load normally will blow the other tire mounted beside it! Not a good thing for them to touch....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dirtyfingernails said:
If you go up to 11/20s (single set on rear) will steering be even more difficult?
Steering effort will be drastically reduced with single rear tires, the turning radius will also be reduced. To reduce the steering effort even further free up the rear axles. By doing both, I measured a reduction of almost 10 feet on the turning circle (curb-curb) on my deuce. The test was done in a paved parking lot.

Also: Reduced steering effort=less front tire wear

Remember that traction is in direct proportion to the loading of the tire, so to increase traction in snow/mud, add weight in the bed. Then, of course chains is the ultimate traction device, regardless of tire design....

sparkylisle

Acouple of months ago I bought a bobb'ed duece from Jon Armentrot in Collins, IA and drove it to Memphis,Tn. It had 12.5 x 20 michelin XL's and when Jon and I were driving from the airport to his house he asked me how many days I was planning to take to get to Memhis (650 miles). I said I did the math on tire diameter, final drive ratio, and engine rpm and I said approximately 12-13 hours driving time. I figured if 9 x20 are 38", and 11 x 20 are 42", then 12.5 x 20 are 45". He was quiet for a few seconds, then said "you might want to check your math because I put a 12.5 x 20 next you a 9 x 20 NDT and there is not a whole not of difference, if any. Now, I'm on the interstate and I decide to check the speed by timing the time between the mile markers. 1st check 70 seconds to go 1 mile, 2nd check 70 seconds to go 1 mile, 3rd check 70 seconds, which equals 54mph. I then recalled what Jon had said about tire diameter and realized I was in for a l-o-o-ong drive. It was made even longer by the BLOWOUT (and I do mean BLOWOUT) on the left front I had 20 miles south of Iowa city at 1am in the morning, but that will be the subject of another post. One final word, Jon Armentrot is a fine individual, who delivers what he says. If any of you ever have the opportunity to do business with him, be assured he can be trusted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks