• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exploding Glow Plugs!

Sarge29

I finally got everything bolted up tight and filled all fluids yesterday. I decided it was time for the ultimate smoke test. I double checked everything and hit the start switch. It was a little slow to spin but then it came to life.:beer: The engine ran great. It idles smooth but seemed a little slow to rev up. I think that was just me not used to the acel pedal. I guess I ran it for about 25 to 30 minutes then shut it down for the night. I went back today and it started better than it did yesterday. All of a sudden I heard a pop and saw sparks.:shock: I had the hood up and was standing by the left front tire. Immediately hit the switch and shut it down. I now have 8 burned up glow plugs and 2 that will not cone out.:doh: 2 of the glow plugs had the connector end blown off, that is where pop and sparks came from. Looks like now I will be looking for a new PCB and a set of glow plugs. Any ideas or recommendations on the best place to get this stuff?
Thanks,
Sarge29

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im confused, Thats a new one on me. Exploding glow plugs...? Sounds like you put 240-1ph power to it. Not 24vdc

hotdogs151a2

Sarge29:
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! What in the world? Who ever heard of exploding glow plugs? Please hang on to them, I can't wait to see them. Just think what has to happen to get them to the point of exploding. Good thing you were out of the way. You don't need any more shrapnel in you Brother. Please dig out you flack jacket and put it on.
Thanks, Pvt. Hotdog

PS: The NC CUCV runs very good.

Sarge29

OK, Before anyone says it: nopics Here are the results of a PCB gone bad. This is worst of the 8 plugs. The others were burned out but did not blow out. The ends that are out of the plugs actually blew out with a loud pop and sparks then hitting the body but stayed in the wire connector.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks