• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extensive modification of M116a3

maxtor

I started today. Pictures will follow Friday. So far I have:

Replaced stock wheels and tires with 30 inch tires and new wheels.
Removed front hitch assembly.(four bolts)
Welded 3x3 box tubing for new ball hitch assembly.
Cut out fenders, removed 9 inches, from width, and lowered them to just four inches high. This widened bed by 18 inches.
Pictures will follow Friday.

Things still to do:

Get trailer ready for body work and paint.
Install hitch coupler. (Arrives Friday)
Modify electrical for 12 volt.

maxtor

Pictures of stock and modified M116a3 trailers.

Next step is to do some body work, then prep it for painting. I will paint it a two tone, so it will have the color of our truck and Jeep.
I altered the fenders for more bed space, also pintle to ball hitch. 30 inch tires vs. 37 inch tires makes the trailer ride level while being towed by our Jeep or truck.

http://s283.photobucket.com/user/Maxtor427/media/Trailers/P1010175_zps225fad7c.jpg.html

P1010184.jpgP1010177.jpgP1010178.jpg

maxtor

I could have made the fenders two inches lower, and still would not bottom out. The spring rubbers have a total of 3 1/2 inch travel. The tire I have on this trailer is 1 1/2 inch below the bed. Using a shorter tire, one could make the bed flat with no fender extensions, so you could use the entire bed width.
Most of my time was in modifying the fenders.