• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exterior Latex/Acrylic House Paints-Regrets?

Scrounge41

I'd like to start this thread as a kind of parallel to the Latex/Acrylic paint thread. I understand if the Admins think of it as unnecessary/duplicate and feel free to delete, but to me it stands on its own. What I'd like to know is how many SS members wish they hadn't done the house paint on their vehicles? I understand the pluses ie: cost, local availability, less toxic, more latitude in application, cleanup. I have only painted a tandem axle non-military trailer in the 24087 Behr substitute and I like the color and sheen, but it looks as though I might be getting some rust bleed through. I prepped with phosphoric acid, painted with Rustoleum Rusty metal primer(rolled/brushed), and finished with the Behr. I did it about 2 months ago. I live in a coastal area and the salt from the ocean is problematic. It is early and I'm not totally unsatisfied, but I wondered if others regret their decision to go water based and why.

ryan77

Why use that to begin with! The Carc is only $85.00 a gallon!!! Time you go through with the hassle of painting your better of using the correct paint!!!:cookoo:

wsucougarx

Try $130/gallon. at least here it is. Behr paint it's only $22/gallon. I've has absolutely nothing negative to report. I've done three trucks, a mep/m200 trailer, and a ton of small parts.

Last edited:

ryan77

I buy sherwin williams carc for $85.00 a gal direct from the sherwin williams store!!!

Scrounge41

Wsucougarx, If you don't mind my asking, how old is your oldest paint job? I'm assuming since you are in Wash. St. that you get a lot of rain, is that true? Thanks for all the info on your thread. Randy.

salvorone@aol.com

i did carc 383 on my deuce outside , on the undercarrage i used home depot brand and formula for carc 383 i found in a thread here . i cant tell the diffrence in color ,i thinned it with hot water . love it . :driver:

ryan77

You guys got me convinced im going to try the exterior latex on my next one!!!! Mostly because the place i get carc from is a hour away and im to lazy to drive there!!!!!:oops:

bjsmith

i just painted mine with exterior paint only time will tell if it will hold up its sherwin williams a100 with paint colors ther offer not a custom match as they could not match the sample i brought in close enough i will edit later with paint codes
green is secret garden
brown is kaffe sw6104
black is black

Attachments

Last edited:

Scrounge41

Thanks Wsucougarx, that looks really nice. Have you driven it much since the paint. It looks like the finish on your exhaust is holding up well. Also, are you using an antennae for a flagpole? I thought about doing that too.

Chevracer87

I have been painting my deuce over the last six months with Behr. I have the frame and cab forward completed and will finish the bed in the spring. I love the stuff! The only complaint I have is the time it takes to harden. For the first month it is easy to scratch but after that it it is very durable.

Chevyman_15237

I buy sherwin williams carc for $85.00 a gal direct from the sherwin williams store!!!

Ryan77-
Do you have the specs on that paint? (upc or name) My buddy works at SW and I get a **** of a discount. We looked it up years ago but it came up a heck of a lot more than that.

Thank you!

ryan77

Ryan77-
Do you have the specs on that paint? (upc or name) My buddy works at SW and I get a **** of a discount. We looked it up years ago but it came up a heck of a lot more than that.

Thank you!

Heres a pic of the stuff! My next project im working on a m1008 i will be trying the behr! Hopefully it comes out nice!

Attachments

Ackevor

3.5 year old thread revival...sorry. I regret using it only a week after. 20151006_110858.jpg20151006_110915.jpg

I had the bed off my M1008, sandblasted, acetone wiped, primed with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, got sidetracked for 2 weeks, wiped the primer down quick with a damp acetone rag to remove dust and oils, then painted with Exterior Latex. Mind you there was zero rust on the best after sandblasting or priming and this is whats showing up already... Im so upset right now, spent the entire summer basically restoring this truck, not to showroom quality mind you I just want it to be reliable and not rot out on me. I have no time to strip and redo it before rain/snow hits as there are lots of other items that need finished up before I can drive it again. I think I'll use an epoxy primer next time, something to seal the metal from whatever goes on top.

Edit: Just to Note, this bed came off an old paint truck, there were spots of bondo flecks and other paints that the sand blaster didn't remove. I figured the bed was so dented I didn't care if the paint job was smoothe, just want it to be functional.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks