• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exterior Latex/Acrylic House Paints-Regrets?

dependable

Latex over a oily paint like that Rustolium Rusty primer probably wont stick too long. Once I used an industrial latex paint on a 12 yard sander over rustioium, and it came off in sheets.

Next time try Rustolium smoke gray or something.

Once you go to an oil base, that is pretty much it, you do not want to put water base on it 'cause it won't stick, and lacquer or and acrylic body enamel will dissolve it.

Ackevor

Latex over a oily paint like that Rustolium Rusty primer probably wont stick too long. Once I used an industrial latex paint on a 12 yard sander over rustioium, and it came off in sheets.

Next time try Rustolium smoke gray or something.

Once you go to an oil base, that is pretty much it, you do not want to put water base on it 'cause it won't stick, and lacquer or and acrylic body enamel will dissolve it.
Seems to be sticking really well, but its causing rust somehow. I have a plow blade that was rusted pretty good and coated in the rusty metal primer. Its been sitting for months outside in rain and sun with no evidence of rust coming through, so why would the Latex cause it to rust?

My only complaint is that the paint scuffs fairly easily, it's easy to smooth out but a little annoying.
It does kinda stink, but its not a 2k paint so its expected.

Last edited:

jbayer

I think wiping with the Acetone might have re-introduced solvent into the primer that did not flash-off before the latex application. I now Acetone it self flashes off fast, but if the primer absorbed some it and softened....
I've done my Deuce bed as follows, OSPHOED the rust, then Rustoleum rusty metal primer only on the rusty spots, waiting two weeks, light scuffing the whole bed with 120 grit, Damp rag wipe down(water) then BEHR premium plus.That was 4 months ago still looks great.

Ackevor

I think wiping with the Acetone might have re-introduced solvent into the primer that did not flash-off before the latex application. I now Acetone it self flashes off fast, but if the primer absorbed some it and softened....
I've done my Deuce bed as follows, OSPHOED the rust, then Rustoleum rusty metal primer only on the rusty spots, waiting two weeks, light scuffing the whole bed with 120 grit, Damp rag wipe down(water) then BEHR premium plus.That was 4 months ago still looks great.
The rag wasn't soaked in Acetone, just damp enough to pickup dust and such. I actually laid down Raptor Liner inside while I let it flash before I applied the Latex on the outside, should have been long enough. I'm just disappointed I have to do the whole thing over again but will note your suggestion. I noticed too the backside of the cab had a few spots before I put the bed on. I sanded it back down, wiped clean, re-primed and then put the latex down at the 1 hour mark like the can said, that was a week ago and so far no rust.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw one post here of rattle can black being used. I did that with flat black on my wrecker wheels a couple of years ago. We also tried using it to touch up small imperfections in other black places. It is now turning a gray color evidently from the sun. I think it was Rustoleum but I am not sure.

NV555

Any advantage using latex over oil based flat enamel? I use Oil Based Enamel on just about everything. Other than the clean up it lasts. I have not use it for automotive, but the metal that I have painted before look great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks