• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exterior Latex/Acrylic House Paints

twlinks

Okay, I FINALLY had the time on a day of good weather and painted my M1009 this morning. I think it turned out pretty decent and it was a blast (and a lot of hours in prep work). I used Behr flat latex in Olive Drab with just a little tan thrown in. It will get stars on the hood and doors, numbers/letters in the appropriate places. I have new stock seats (front), not putting the back seat back in, new rubber for the windows/windshield and there will be brown/olive drab camo netting going over the "re-purposed" trailer bows in back. Later on, I'm planning to fab a metal top to accommodate the "tank commander enclosure" so my grandson can sit up in it during parades. Anyway, it feels great to have it painted and ready to be all put back together now. The pictures are prepped, primered, wet sanded; first coat along with grandson; and after the second coat of finish. Also tried to get a good close-up of the texture. IMG_0211 (Large).jpgIMG_0213 (Large).jpgIMG_0214 (Large).jpgIMG_0218 (Large).jpgIMG_0220 (Large).jpgIMG_0222 (Large).jpgIMG_0223 (Large).jpgIMG_0226 (Large).jpgIMG_0227 (Large).jpgIMG_0230 (Large).jpg

HASSON1911

Hey guys I want to do a test paint job for over all toughness, and adhesion with primer and paint in my bed. But does anybody know were I can find the camo pattern for an M923A2? They were black and white just had lines drawn over the truck with ID numbers for color. I remember seeing them once LONG before I was even thinking about 5 tons.

twlinks

Has anyone tried clear coating this paint?
My thinking would be that that is not going to work well and I'm not understanding why you would want to do that anyway. If you are using house paint and want a shiny look to it, use semi-gloss or even gloss. If you are thinking there is a need for the clear coat for protection like on your civi car or truck, then I would take it to a body shop and have them do a normal paint job. The whole idea to me of using house paint is that it is cheap, gives the military flat look and if you do scratch it up it's an easy touch up. Even if the clear would work over the house paint, touch up would not work well and would be a real PITA, to me. Maybe you could elaborate more on your thinking?

Scarecrow1

Has anyone tried clear coating this paint
I saw on here on another thread where future floor wax will give the paint a luster or if you wish a semi gloss appearance. I know the paint I bought to use when the weather is stable enough to paint is acrylic based so it should work like he said it would . I did a test spot on the bumper and it really matched well so when clear weather comes so will the paint........

rneely

So I see the latest Home Depot formula for 383 Green. What is the latest formula for 383 brown and for 383 black ? Search only showed formula for Home Depot update code on the 383 Green.(post 292)

Last edited:

Keith_J

I must be missing something here. You pulled dents out "AFTER" it was painted?
Primed. These were dents from light bar pads and over zealous tightening of the hold downs. Since rust remediation was first on the agenda, we left the roof dents alone. So I got the idea to home brew hot melt stud pulling which worked perfectly. It didn't pull the primer up so we know the prep work was PROPER. Rustoleum rusty metal primer over sanded and phosphoric acid etched steel.

These were soft dents, no real creasing of the metal so it was indeed "paintless dent removal".

djv

Installed electric tailgate. 86 m1009

I wired and installed an electric tailgate using a 3 position 25amp switch in the the switch space where the blackout light switch used to be so the power window can be operated from the back or in the cab. I run it from a relay system I installed using the bus bars and running power off the front battery. Video link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6TC6chJ4Vw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6TC6chJ4Vw

HanksDeuce

I emailed the Behr rep, Jacob, after Heath posted his contact information in another thread.

I'm having the normal streaks in some areas, but those should go away after washing the surface or so I'm told.

The other problem is small random brown spots popping up on the hood and fenders. The chassis and cab had no issues. Prep has not changed.

Help!

Attachments

Scarecrow1

Hank is there a chance that you may have missed some rust spots in your prep work ? I know we talked about prepping with the rust converter then priming and then using a Krylon paint to just coat the primer and seal it for good. The brown spots sound like rust starting to come through. I have used the same prep for my 5 ton and where I did is really looking good.The only difference is I used Sherwin Williams 100 percent acrylic paint . Please keep us posted. You may want to do a little surgery on a spot to see what is causing the brown spots. The streaking normally goes away after it cures and gets wet a couple of times .........

HASSON1911

Does any one have pics of their 923 with correct 3 color nato camo, or those pics of military drawing of the paint line. Im getting ready to start this paint job and in need of these lines before I erase mine. I would like the drawings because i'm pretty sure mine is wrong being there is 2 color shades of green.

HanksDeuce

Hank is there a chance that you may have missed some rust spots in your prep work ? I know we talked about prepping with the rust converter then priming and then using a Krylon paint to just coat the primer and seal it for good. The brown spots sound like rust starting to come through. I have used the same prep for my 5 ton and where I did is really looking good.The only difference is I used Sherwin Williams 100 percent acrylic paint . Please keep us posted. You may want to do a little surgery on a spot to see what is causing the brown spots. The streaking normally goes away after it cures and gets wet a couple of times .........
Mike, I'm going to take a look at those spots again this weekend. Looking back through the pictures the trouble areas didn't have much (if any) rust. I'll see what a little surgery on a few spots shows me.

Scarecrow1

Hank I know from reading your post that you were very carefull to do everything right. This is just living proof that stuff happens to the best of us. I will be watching to see what was the cause of this problem........

weasle50BMG

I was just currious if any had tryed clear coating for a little better uv protection. I bought a gallon of behr maquee paint over the weekend. I shot the back sides of my hinges and tail gate with a hvlp sprayer and was very happy with the results to say the least. I will post up a pic later. I went with a satin paint. I have just a little more prep work until I will paint the body and hood.

Keith_J

Exterior house paint is already highly UV resistant. Especially the flat paints since the primary pigment is titanium dioxide which is snow white. The tinting is also mineral based so it should not bleach out. What happens is chalking of the binder which then lightens the color. Careful pressure washing should restore original tint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks