• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

external speaker with VIC-1?

Yohan

I'm getting a VIC-1 with suppressor and three stations that will be installed in my Deuce. I would like to install a military loud speaker in the back troop compartment for passenegers so they can hear me (or front seat passengers) when I need to address them. Some Q's:

1) Is this possible with the VIC-1 and with three stations?

2) If this is possible to do with a VIC-1, what military speaker should I get?

2) Can the system be set up so any one person in the cab can address the cargo bed passengers when they want or would the control box have to be pre-set so every time that person keyed the mic, it would come over the loud speaker in the back?

• I am trying to learn about the VIC and have a long way to go. Thanks for any help!

Carl_in_NH

Could use an external amplifier to drive a speaker in the back. That amplifier input (and a keying enable for it) could come from one of the RT radio selectors. Then, when you want to address folks in the back you would select the proper RT on the control head and key the transmitter mic switch (instead of the intercom switch).

This would also prevent idle chatter from the cab from being broadcast to folks in the back (and outside the truck).

Boatcarpenter

Yohan,
There are probably lots of ways to get a speaker in the back. Here is how I have mine hooked up to do that if I want to.
I have three stations in the cab, but one of them has a speaker coming out of it that is mounted in the cab on the dash for listening to the radio or CB with the engine off. You could however run that speaker to the back end. The other outlet on the box has a 15 foot+/- extension cable (in the green bag in the picture) with a box on it (green box in picture) with a boom mic headset plugged into it so someone in the cab can use it as the third station. Or, if I have a bed full of people and I want someone back there in contact with me I can pass the headset and the small control box and cable through the window into the back. The box has its own volume control and will hang on the sideracks or on someones belt if needed.
A very common speaker out in surplus land is the LS-454/U (same as one pictured on dash).
You can also put a remote box in the back and use a Commanders Control Box as your station (I think that is what it is called, although I can't remember the number) that has a call light that signals when the remote box is calling.
TM 11-5820-401-10-1 is a very good source of information for this stuff.
Hope this is of some help.
BC

Attachments

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got you covered

Hey guys ! The box you are referring to is the C-2297 "DRIVERS BOX" it has the call light. And the C-2296"Remote call box" ,which was normally mounted on the rear of tanks in a metal "Handset box" so an infantry type could get behind the tank and talk to guys inside via the intercom to direct fire,give info to driver etc. while using the tank as cover . Tbanks and I have those components available including NOS handset boxes( which I have sold deuce guys before to protect the C-2296 when the top is off the cargo area ) Hope that helps John

Thanks /popacom /Bill :mrgreen:

P.S. The speakers you are looking for are the "LS-454"

Yohan

Thanks so much guys! I guess that settles it; what I want to do is possible. Incidentally, I'm getting my VIC-1 (and apparently other components :-D) from Tbanks and popacom. Again, thanks to all for the help and info...

John

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Why would you not just go with a forth or even fifth C2298 (standard crewmans) station?

Put one in the front of the cargo area and one either outside or under the bed at thevery rear.

The plug in for the LS671 is the same for the headset or the loudspeaker. You could also use a 12 series radio handset at the front of the bed.

At the rear I would use a integrated head and microphone set. Why have a system at the rear of the truck on the outside many will ask??????? So someone helping your back up or hook up to a trailer can give you voice commands versus hand signals that aren't always the best in the world especially at night time.

Yohan

Thanks CARNAC,

I searching ideas and learning the system which is like a new puzzle to me. I was thinking of just a speaker that I could pass thruogh the cab's back window when needed and hang on the bed rack to rear passengers could be addressed, but the idea of another complete station is interesting. Are the boxes water proof? I guess if I had the wiring installed, I could just hook up the station when needed.

Boatcarpenter

OK radioheads,
On the remote box (C-2296), in the diagram in the TM it shows a CX-7621/VRC coming out of it. Is this a cable or the call light on some sort of a short stem? It doesn't show it connected to anything.
It shows the cables for the box with a break with an x in the line which is vehicle wiring. Will either of the three cables work?
Thanks,
BC

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks