• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extreme RV from M36a2

daddy2

By the time the kids are that big they better be getting their own Deuce to build a camper HA HA. I agree. would have liked to get a few more inches bt was limited with space. When the bunks are down and the extenxion is on teh dinnette set for the big bed, I still need to be able to get it to fit. I measured my double bed and it was 74" long. I only lost 2" and I am 5'9". Or maybe "another" modification will have to be done. Good thing I bought another 10 lbs spool of weld wire. :whistle:

peashooter

I think I might have to pull the bed off the frame a few feet this spring. It is the only way I can think of to get to the front of the box to paint it. If any one has any ideas please let me know.

When i painted my 109 I took the hardtop off and was able to paint the front of the box pretty well, there just ended up being a small area in the center of the box right behind the cab that needed to be misted from above or brushed/rolled by hand. But the hardtops come off easy and that will give you lots more clearance without having to go to all the work of moving the bed.

daddy2

Thanks for the info Peashooter. I might just do that. Summer is right around the corner and I plan on insulating and then painting.

peashooter

Thanks for the info Peashooter. I might just do that. Summer is right around the corner and I plan on insulating and then painting.
no problem, im insulating right now myself. Spray foam is definately the way to go but its expensive so I'm going with 2" high density R-10 foam board insulation instead. What I found was the fiberglass batting in my truck ended up holding water when there were leaks and then helps spread rust, plus it isnt as efficient as the foam. I quickly learned how hot these boxes can get when painted a dark color. If you havent already, it might be worth adding some metal roof vents. The cheapest place I found them was on ebay just search for "metal ventline" and some will pop up. They are just standard type rv vents but made of all galvanized metal to withstand the sun and hail better than the plastic type.
My other advice is look on craigslist for anything you might want (if you arent already). Ive been getting all sorts of stuff that I want, but couldnt normally afford on there....sheetmetal, herculiner, even deuce parts.

Beautiful job on everything! I know from experience how hard it can be to get time to work on these projects with a young family, glad to see you have them helping you out!

daddy2

I have been researching water heaters for the camper. Decided on a tankless one. I like the vent free excel 6 Lts. I am not worried about O2 depletion. I will have plenty of venting. anyone have some feedback on th excel or maybe a better brand. I want to install the water heater in the bathroom behind the toilet to save space and keep it close to the water source.

daddy2

I'll be ordering the water heater soon. Maybe next week. I'll be getting the Excel 1.6 Gal/min tankless vent free water heater. I'll be putting plenty of venting in the camper for fress air so o2 consumption isn't really a concern. I'll be working on the waiste water tank racks and the vents next. If anyone has opinions about the water heater selection, I'm all ears.

daddy2

Scratch the excel water heater. I liked the one M1031cmt has on his M109 build. Going with the marey. I have also contacted a camper window supplier. They liked the idea of donating time to Wounded Warriors. Gave me a great price on windows. I looked at buying house windows but they were 4" thick. I only have 2.5" will thickness. They would have stuck out too far inside or outside. I am going to have three windows. Two drivers side and one passenger side. Will post new pics soon. The camera isn't working very well. Have to buy a new one soon.

daddy2

Its been a while since I last posted. I finished the window frames. Took a lot longer than I thought. Frames were made from 2*2 square tubing. I got the two installed and plan on geting the third one in this week. Little by little I am getting there. Got a bit of pics of the two installed windows. White one look bad but keep in mind the camper will be painted.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chaplain, the wife said as long as the life insurance policy was paid up it was more than safe. :beer:
Sounds like your "helpmate" might be well aware of her little "conflict of interest" between SAFETY and HER FINANCIAL SECURITY, huh? :shock:

Keep up the good work. I'm enjoying watching your build thread and all your progress.

Oh..... and please BE SAFE :doghead:

daddy2

My guess on the weight is going to be around 2000 lbs extra. Post 106 showed the weight as adding 1440 at that point. the 2000 doesn't include water and passengers. I am interested to see myself.

Got a bit more done on the truck. worked on the waste water tank racks or as the kids call them the shower water tank and poo bucket. Each tank will hold 28 gals. One for brown and one for grey water. The brackets are welded but I am going to add bolted straps as a fail safe. I've seen a lot of people mount generators in the same location, but I plan on putting my gen on the rear passenger side. I tried to post pics but an error occured I try again.

tamangel

what options do you have on draining your tanks..black and grey water..? Thought that the grey should have two options, one straight out, the other thru the black water tank to help wash it out..and maybe a macerator ..?

Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks