• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extreme RV from M36a2

peashooter

+1 for the inverter generator. Its what I ended up going with for running the AC and other electric in my camper while driving. It still isn't cheap but the inverter generators are smaller, have cleaner power and can be used for more remote camping, and backup power for your house & other uses which make them a little easier to justify in my mind. You can get some decent ones with good output in the $500 range. Check ebay for Extreme Max EXT3000P, or your local Costco for some inverter generator units (not the online Costco), I found a Dometic LW3000 generator locally for pretty cheap. Many in that price range come with electric start and even remote start also. Obviously the nicer Honda and Yamaha ones are considerably more.
A battery bank, inverter, alternator setup would be nice, but those sound like some larger projects and if you are strapped for time and cash as many of us are then the generator route might be a better bang for the buck and certainly a lot quicker to implement.

Attachments

daddy2

Thanks for the info guys. I have a 3500 champion with remote start at home. I'm thinking of just installing a rack behind the passenger side rear axle. It's a bit on the big side but I think you guys are right much easier install. I'll leave the alternator option for later when the old lady kicks me out of the house and I have plenty of time.

RAYZER

An on-board generator is the way to go!
I just aquired this one (used) for my permanent install!
Up untill now I've had to pull the 3500 champion out of the storage box to plug in, what a pain!uploadfromtaptalk1428585224048.jpg

Another Ahab

Thanks for the info guys. I have a 3500 champion with remote start at home. I'm thinking of just installing a rack behind the passenger side rear axle. It's a bit on the big side but I think you guys are right much easier install. I'll leave the alternator option for later when the old lady kicks me out of the house and I have plenty of time.
Just a matter of time:

- Wait for it....

Momma's Upset.jpg

daddy2

Ok, I thought quite a bit about it. I decided to mount the champion 3500. It has a remote start that can be used from Inside the camper, I tried it to make sure. I am just deciding now where to mount it. It's going to be passenger side, but not sure where. Was thinking either behind the rear axle tire or behind the fuel tank. I plan on also hanging a 18 gallon gas tank as added fuel for the generator.

RAYZER

As a safty precaution to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning,
make sure that your generator exhaust system is leak free and is extended and pointed away from any doors,windows,air conditioner systems and from underneath the camper.
It's also a good idea to install a carbon monoxide and explosive gas detector on the inside of any camper rig!
This has been a public service safty announcement!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a safty precaution to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning,
make sure that your generator exhaust system is leak free and is extended and pointed away from any doors,windows,air conditioner systems and from underneath the camper.
It's also a good idea to install a carbon monoxide and explosive gas detector on the inside of any camper rig!
This has been a public service safty announcement!
...and don't forget a methane detector in the crapper.

Carry on.

RotorAV8R

Keep it going! I have lots of plans for mine and an RV is in there. Considering a slide in type only custom made from a refrigerator truck box. I'd like the option of removing it. First is my plow setup and working on the mount. Keep us posted!

OldDuke6

Its nice to see a few people still check the thread from time to time. I've been playing catch-up on the camper over the last 2 weeks. I've got a bit done but still have a ways to go. I was pondering the power situation to the camper. As off now I have no power in the camper while driving. I can't do the battery bank yet do to the cost, but not having any air conditioning why driving in the summer heat is making the Mrs. very unpleasant to be around. I was thinking about using a second alternator to power just the camper while driving. I can power the entire camper including air conditioner on less than 15 amps A.C. I have done it at home and while camping. I was thinking of connecting the second alternator to a power inverter in order to run the camper while the engine is running. I thought a 150 amp alternator should be able to handle the load. I would need a bolt on bracket for the 2nd alternator and I would need to buy a inverter. Any one have any suggestions. I know there are threads on this already, but if I spend more than 30 minutes on the computer at one time, I start going crazy. I eagerly await any helpful advice on this.

Sounds ridiculous...but have you ever thought of a Tesla Turbine? Run it on pneumatic air from the compressor, that way it's generating when the engine is running, and charging separate batteries to power the house accessories while driving.

cheap, easy, reliable, simple to maintain, and hardly any moving parts..plus you get to keep your shop air!

Another Ahab

Sounds ridiculous...but have you ever thought of a Tesla Turbine? Run it on pneumatic air from the compressor, that way it's generating when the engine is running, and charging separate batteries to power the house accessories while driving.

cheap, easy, reliable, simple to maintain, and hardly any moving parts..plus you get to keep your shop air!

What exactly IS a Telsa Turbine?

(I know, I know; Google is my friend. But if I bother her too much, she might stop talking to me).

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am sure the air consumption is quite high though, probably more than the truck system can provide. Any air motor I have seen uses a bunch of air.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am sure the air consumption is quite high though, probably more than the truck system can provide. Any air motor I have seen uses a bunch of air.
I agree the efficiency of a belt driven alternator would be far superior to a fan driven generator.

rustystud

It always takes more energy to change energy into another form. This is a Thermodynamics law. So if we take engine power (burning fuel) to make air-pressure then take that air-pressure to make electrical energy then I would guess we are loosing energy by a factor of 3. You engineer types can chime in at anytime here. The best is just take that engine power and make electrical power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks