• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EZ-TCU Standalone Controller

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in the process of swapping in a 4L80E into my M998. I bought the EZ-TCU to be my controller. Lot's of threads of people having issues getting this set up. If you have gone through this, do you care to share your settings with those that might be doing this in the future, like me? I'm particularly interested in what you used for gear ratio between the differential and geared hubs but what settings did you end up with?

I read a very good post where someone added a couple of other controllers to the mix that shared their settings but I'm not interested in doing that.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call Jeff Symansky at Tactical Truck in Marshall Virginia. He's on the site. He did mine and I never had any trouble.
BDGR

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call Jeff Symansky at Tactical Truck in Marshall Virginia. He's on the site. He did mine and I never had any trouble.
BDGR
Thanks, I did reach out to him in a PM and he responded already. The guy that did the work on your truck isn't with him anymore but he did reach out and gave me a little info.

I'm finding conflicting info for the geared hub ratio on a M998. If I need to add the diff and the geared hubs together to get the final ratio for the controller setting, anyone know what that is?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you discover a way for me to view and copy the setting from mine, I'm happy to do so.
BDGR

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I did reach out to him in a PM and he responded already. The guy that did the work on your truck isn't with him anymore but he did reach out and gave me a little info.

I'm finding conflicting info for the geared hub ratio on a M998. If I need to add the diff and the geared hubs together to get the final ratio for the controller setting, anyone know what that is?
If you are starting with a 3 speed truck, the diffs are 2.56 - 1
Then the geared hubs are 1.92 - 1
Effective final gear ratio is 4.9152 - 1

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I would update this thread now that I have been through this just in case it helps anyone in the future. Here are some notes.

I had to make several phone calls to TCI to try to figure out how to make this work. I was disappointed in the level of support I got. First off, as I explained what I was working on, the guy said that the EZ-TCU was not designed for a 4x4. I did a lot of research on their site and not once did I find anywhere that stated it was not designed for a 4x4. Second, they said I could make it work but would have to buy more components to do that from Dakota Digital. However, when I asked what the components were, they couldn’t tell me. They just said “call Dakota Digital (DD)” and they can help you.

It did take a few phone calls to DD to explain what I was trying to do but we got it figured out. I listed the parts below. I did have to call them a couple of times for support because their controller wasn’t just plug and play, it took some cyphering. But, they were much more helpful than TCI.

Personally, after all this I’d recommend looking at another controller. Maybe they are all similar in that they need extra components to make them work. I really only looked at TCI because it “seemed” like a simple plug and play.

A little background, I have a M998 that had the 6.2 and the 3 speed trans. I’ve had it for several years and while it is great to drive around under 40 mph, anything above that it was not so I decided to make it a little more drivable, I wanted to upgrade to the 6.5TD and 4L80E. I won an auction for a 6.5TD and worked on it over the summer. I have a friend that has a transmission shop so I was going to let him do the transmission since he was set up for it. He did the trans install and then I did the EZ-TCU install and programming.

The EZ-TCU needs at a minimum a good RPM signal, a speed signal and TPS signal. I used the crank position sensor on the 6.5TD with a little help from Mogman (thanks). One wire needs to be grounded at the same location the EZ-TCU gets grounded and the other goes to one of the RPM wires on the TCU harness (there are two, doesn’t matter which you use). I got a reliable 650-700 signal at idol.

Here’s where it gets tricky, the speed signal has to come off the transfer case. My speedo cable was already broken and didn’t work so I opted to just remove it and install a GPS speedo. So, I removed the cable and the 90 at the transfer case and installed a DD pulse generator. The pulse generator has two wires that get ran to the DD controller and landed on the SPD Input and SPD- terminals. The OUTPUT SHAFT SPEED harness on the TCU needs to have the plugin cut off and then the wire with the stripe goes to ground and the other goes to output 3 on the DD controller.

The TCU has a setup you have to go through, to get the correct speed to show up on the TCU, you have to calculate your differential ratio and your geared hubs. In my case, I have 2.56 as Coug (thanks) mentions above and geared hubs are 1.92 so I entered 4.92 as my gear ration. This puts the speed on the TCU within 1-2 MPH of my GPS speedo. If you don’t put the right ratio, this really messes up your speed on the TCU. TCI will tell you that you only need your differential ratio but I suspect they had no clue what I was talking about with geared hubs.

The rest of the setup on the TCU is pretty self explanatory. I have my TC lockup set at 50 and at 60 I’m running 1800 RPM with 40” tires.

Additional Dakota Digital parts needed:

SGI-100BT - Universal Speedometer and Tachometer Interface (has an app that makes it much easier to set up than using the interface on the controller itself.

SEN-01-4160 - Speedometer 8K Pulse Generator (this has the passthrough for your speedo cable if you plan on keeping it)

SEN-01-1 - 8K Pulse Generator (this is what I used in place of speedo cable)

Here are the settings I used on the SGI-100BT:
SGI 100BT.jpg

Here are some of the settings I used in the EZ-TCU:
Tire Diameter and Gear ratio are the important ones, the others you can adjust to your desired performance
In the Setup Wizard

Tire Diameter: 40 (set this to your tire size)
Gear Ratio: 4.92 ( Diff Gear Ratio multiplied by 1.92 for geared hubs)
Max Shift RPM: 2850rpm
Lowspeed Shift: 9
Shift Aggress: 2
Shift Firmness: 5 (If it shifts too hard adjust this between 0 and 5)
Min TCC lock MPH: 50
Max TCC TPS: 70%

I hope this helps save someone from the frustrations that I experienced the last couple of weeks.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, one more update as I found out that in the event you need to use low lock, you are pretty much out of luck without manually shifting from 1st to 2nd and changing the calibration in the app.

It appears that the SEN-01-1 pulse generator doesn't generate a signal until you reach about 9mph. In LL, that is not feasible in 1st gear so you manually have to shift from 1st to 2nd before you start getting a signal at 9mph. The EZ-TCU thinks you are going twice as slow as you are so shifting is all hosed up, 10mph on your speedo is 5mph on the TCU. I overcame this by increasing the calibration just for LL from .91 to 2 to double the speed. Still have to manually shift from 1st to 2nd, by then there is a signal and will shift to higher gears. I contacted Rob at Dakota Digital.........again. I think at this point, our families are going to start spending holidays together! He had one more option, another pulse generator that is powered, thinking that the signal would pick up quicker.

I installed the new pulse generator, SEN-01-5 which is a 16k pulse vs the 8k that I had so I had to change the calibration from .91 to .45. I took the humvee out for a drive. I could see a pulse was being generated as soon as there was movement. With the new .45 setting, everything shifted as before in H and HL. LL still required me to double the calibration but at least it shifted without manual intervention. This is probably as good as it is going to get. I'll just have to change the calibration when I have to use LL. Hopefully I don't forget my phone in the event I have to do this. You can change it on the 100BT but you better have the paperwork with you because the menu is complicated.

I will say Rob at DD is great to work with. Though at the time I was working with him, he was pretty new, he was still very helpful and even sent the SEN-01-5 to me at no charge.

I would still recommend researching other controller options before using the EZ-TCU. Maybe all of them require the additional DD parts I had to buy, I don't know. Hope this helps someone.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hummer H1 ran with my idea and got the manual computer bypass device on EBay. He loves it. Gets rid of computer BUT you need to manually shift. You become the computer and torque converter lock out controller.

PM him or maybe he will answer this post. I’ll text him and ask him to reply.

HUMMER H1

I don’t have any issues with EZ TCU
I have been using since 2015

Shifts on point and low range works great,
I am getting my RPM signal from magnet sensor on the balancer,

HUMMER H1

Hummer H1 ran with my idea and got the manual computer bypass device on EBay. He loves it. Gets rid of computer BUT you need to manually shift. You become the computer and torque converter lock out controller.

PM him or maybe he will answer this post. I’ll text him and ask him to reply.
and yes on my m1123 I am using manual shifter
Just like the one you bought,
It was 60 dollar range, works great.

if you don’t mind shifting like a manual transmission up and down

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t have any issues with EZ TCU
I have been using since 2015

Shifts on point and low range works great,
I am getting my RPM signal from magnet sensor on the balancer,
I wonder how yours is different than mine then? I don't have any issues with the RPM signal, I'm getting that off the CPS and it reads good. Your output speed shaft sensor is on your transfer case?

HUMMER H1

My TCU Needed

input from TPS sensor
Input from RPM sensor
power 12v from direct source
tire size information
Final gear ratio information

no speed sensor information was needed

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My TCU Needed

input from TPS sensor
Input from RPM sensor
power 12v from direct source
tire size information
Final gear ratio information

no speed sensor information was needed
Ok, that makes sense then. Sounds like sometime since you bought yours and I bought mine, they added the speed sensor to the design. My TCU uses the speed sensor for shifting along with info from the RPM sensor and TPS and a bunch of other settings.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, that makes sense then. Sounds like sometime since you bought yours and I bought mine, they added the speed sensor to the design. My TCU uses the speed sensor for shifting along with info from the RPM sensor and TPS and a bunch of other settings.
Could it be he did not use the external speed sensor and used the one in the transmission that the TCM could already see?

HUMMER H1

Could it be he did not use the external speed sensor and used the one in the transmission that the TCM could already see?
I have brand new EZ TCU here with me
I’ll look into the manual today,

but I don’t see why the TCU needs additional speed input,
When transmission is already telling the TCU it’s speed

those TCUs are designed to be stand alone for many older cars or trucks that retrofit 4l80e
And most of those don’t have any other speed sensors.

HUMMER H1

Ez TCU can run multiple types of transmission
Including 4l80e
4L65 , 4L70 4L80 and 4L85e
All those other transmissions need speed sensors to run.
Make sure in your settings on the hand held TCU Programer you selected 4l80e and not one of those other transmission by mistake.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks